The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

5000 Crowns for 15 days off research?!

JiDul
JiDul
✭✭✭
That is bizarre ZOS. 15 days is not worth $40 of real life money. To a lot of people making $40 is like half a work day or more. I would pay $40 for a scroll that completes the full research timer, but not 15 days... I know what most people are gonna say, "Just don't buy it". Well you have to admit that price is a little bit... How do you say? Ridiculous! Come on now.. If you are gonna gradually move into P2W then at least make it worth our while.... Either way lets discuss.
Edited by JiDul on February 22, 2018 7:05AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price is right. Being a master crafter needs to mean something, shortcuts like this should be pricey, and it is a pure shortcut.

Regardless i know enough people that have bought it that's its selling.

Remember all prices listed are 50% off in ZOS eyes as anyone into blowing real world money buys their crowns in the sales.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Aleraon
    Aleraon
    ✭✭✭✭
    While $40 might be like half a day's work for some, people who have actually played the game and done their research without any scrolls at all have spent much more than half a day researching. The research scrolls are a convenience item and shouldn't completely negate the time and effort others have put in. After all it only takes a few minutes each day to log in to check current research and to start researching another item once the previous one has completed.
    (EU/AD) CP501 Razum-dah - Khajiiti Templar Healer
    (EU/AD) CP501 J'Kara Silverclaw - Khajiiti Dragonknight tank
    (EU/AD) CP501 Rajhiin - Khajiiti stamina Nightblade
    (EU/AD) CP501 Draven Corvillian - Breton magicka Nightblade
    (EU/AD) CP501 Sinderian Nightflame - High Elf magicka sorcerer
    (EU/AD) CP501 J'zargo Silverclaw - Khajiit stamina Templar
    (EU/AD) CP501 Ariella Nightshade - High Elf Magicka Nightblade
    (EU/AD) CP501 Ri'shada - Khajiit Stamina Sorcerer
    (EU/AD) LVL29 Valeon Indoril - Dark Elf Magicka Dragonknight
    *The Queen stole this one's moonsugar candies lol*
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not often I agree with the price gouges in this game, but 5k is about right in this particular instance. In an ideal world, there would be no 15 day scrolls.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aleraon wrote: »
    While $40 might be like half a day's work for some, people who have actually played the game and done their research without any scrolls at all have spent much more than half a day researching. The research scrolls are a convenience item and shouldn't completely negate the time and effort others have put in. After all it only takes a few minutes each day to log in to check current research and to start researching another item once the previous one has completed.

Your post kinda contracts itself. One the one hand you say it completely negates the time and effort others have put in, then by your own admission, go on to state it only takes a few minutes each day to log on. I'm a 9 trait crafter and I can only talk from personal experience, but each and every piece of research I did required little or no effort at all. The only effort needed was getting the nirn, but I'd have done that anyway whether to sell it or to use it for research. 99.9% of research is a passive activity. No work needed nor any real effort. Clearing vMA or vMoL takes time and effort, but researching traits doesn't.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with OP. There are so many things like this that would have pulled several hundred dollars more out of my pocket over the last few years, if only they were better deals. Horse training lessons are a another example of this. I would pay $50 to fully train a horse, but not $150.

Edited by Emma_Overload on February 22, 2018 1:43PM
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If some people are willing to spend it then it's the right price for them.

Whilst I agree with others that the cost is too much for me (and I don't mind the wait), there are some who make a lot of money and simply don't care about such costs.

ZOS' pricing model for the Crown Store does seem to focus more on these people than normal players however. There is an increasing trend of only offering things at prices which most common people are not going to be willing to pay, which sadly means less of the Crown Store is accessible to those working 9-5 minimum wage jobs.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not often I agree with the price gouges in this game, but 5k is about right in this particular instance. In an ideal world, there would be no 15 day scrolls.

in an ideal world you wouldnt have to wait 20+ days to research something. So the more the npcs research the dumber they get?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compared to the items that remove one day from the research timers, 5000 crowns for 15 days is cheap. Doing this one day at a time, I think you need a scroll for Wood, or one for Cloth, or one for Metal. The grand one I think does all 3. IF that is the case, then this is super cheap compared.

Note, I have not looked at the scrolls in detail as this is something I don't agree with being in the game.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Zbigb4life
    Zbigb4life
    ✭✭✭✭
    JiDul wrote: »
    That is bizarre ZOS. 15 days is not worth $40 of real life money. To a lot of people making $40 is like half a work day or more. I would pay $40 for a scroll that completes the full research timer, but not 15 days... I know what most people are gonna say, "Just don't buy it". Well you have to admit that price is a little bit... How do you say? Ridiculous! Come on now.. If you are gonna gradually move into P2W then at least make it worth our while.... Either way lets discuss.

There are a lot of things in the Crown Store that are really overpriced!
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    weird. my browser posted 3 times! ignore
    Edited by Slick_007 on February 27, 2018 6:55AM
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doesnt this reduce all research? so upto 45 days worth?

edited: theres a scroll for each bs, clothing and ww it appears
    Edited by Slick_007 on February 23, 2018 2:38PM
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These scrolls are an insult to us master crafters, and are taking money out of our pockets from crafting exotic items for others.
    I spent over a year IRL of logging in the game daily doing my research. I even had a calendar timer and logged on while on holiday abroad just to keep up with my research. I have spent millions in game, on motifs, learning every motif, vast amounts of money and farming accumulating a surplus of mats, every style mat, so I can craft anything a customer they want in an instance.
    Now they just add a P2W trivializing all my efforts! I'm not actually happy about this at all!
  • JiDul
    JiDul
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

Whilst I agree with others that the cost is too much for me (and I don't mind the wait), there are some who make a lot of money and simply don't care about such costs.

ZOS' pricing model for the Crown Store does seem to focus more on these people than normal players however. There is an increasing trend of only offering things at prices which most common people are not going to be willing to pay, which sadly means less of the Crown Store is accessible to those working 9-5 minimum wage jobs.

That is just a bad model then. It gives research a "p2w" aspect. Where only the rich are able to afford to finish research with these scrolls giving them an advantage over people who don't put a lot of money into this game. Knowing a lot of traits is beneficial because you can then offer your services to other people for tips. So this does give people an advantage. I hate to see games that aren't p2w turn into that.
  • JiDul
    JiDul
    ✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »

The major scroll reduces 15-days, not 45.
  • Tenn60
    Tenn60
    ✭✭✭
    Laziness and impatience drives markets, if you want something now then you have to pay the price or you take the free or less expensive option and spend the time. I won’t get into p2w as people all see that differently. A company with a product has the freedom to set prices wherever they want and if people are willing to pay it then good for the company if not they either adjust or are not in business anymore.
  • navystylz_ESO
    navystylz_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    These scrolls are an insult to us master crafters, and are taking money out of our pockets from crafting exotic items for others.
    I spent over a year IRL of logging in the game daily doing my research. I even had a calendar timer and logged on while on holiday abroad just to keep up with my research. I have spent millions in game, on motifs, learning every motif, vast amounts of money and farming accumulating a surplus of mats, every style mat, so I can craft anything a customer they want in an instance.
    Now they just add a P2W trivializing all my efforts! I'm not actually happy about this at all!

Yep... and that's just stupid.
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally these scrolls shouldn't even be in the game. So 5000 crowns is light. While researching doesn't take effort it does take time. Some of us spent the 18 months doing it the old way, so if you want to speed it up then pay the price. Convenience comes at a cost.
  • Hokiewa
    Hokiewa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stopnaggin wrote: »
    Personally these scrolls shouldn't even be in the game. So 5000 crowns is light. While researching doesn't take effort it does take time. Some of us spent the 18 months doing it the old way, so if you want to speed it up then pay the price. Convenience comes at a cost.

It does come at a cost....5000 crowns which I think is a fair price for 15 days off 1 crafting skill.
    Edited by Hokiewa on February 28, 2018 5:26PM
  • Hokiewa
    Hokiewa
    ✭✭✭✭

That is just a bad model then. It gives research a "p2w" aspect. Where only the rich are able to afford to finish research with these scrolls giving them an advantage over people who don't put a lot of money into this game. Knowing a lot of traits is beneficial because you can then offer your services to other people for tips. So this does give people an advantage. I hate to see games that aren't p2w turn into that.

An advantage how? It's incredibly easy to earn gold in this game without crafting.....
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes they should be expensive. If you have lots of discretionary cash to burn and can't wait then go for it.
  • JiDul
    JiDul
    ✭✭✭
    Hokiewa wrote: »

An advantage how? It's incredibly easy to earn gold in this game without crafting.....

Idk how you can't see the advantage... Its literally clear as day. ive even explained it several times. $40 for 15 days? No it should not be 5000 crowns. It should be $40 for a full research timer reduced. Why 15 days? If you are gonna make people pay ridiculous amounts of money for stuff make it worth their while, otherwise don't do it at all. This is a bad mixture of p2w and greedy.
  • JiDul
    JiDul
    ✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »

I honestly agree with you. If they were gonna do this they should have done it a long time ago. Most vet players have 80-100% of their traits researched already. Some may even be working on their 2nd or 3rd crafter. It does kind of make me upset that i wasted so much time.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »

The major scroll reduces 15-days, not 45.

but it does ALL research and you can research 3 things
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s fine. Doing it in the traditional way is not really hard. So the price tag should be substantial.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.