Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help with my magsorc pve please

ereboz
ereboz
✭✭✭✭
I've been playing since first beta and have tweaked builds constantly. My main is a magsorc non pet build (hate pet builds) and I currently use 5 julianos, 5 netch and 1 ice heart. Trial gear is currently not an option for me. In these circumstances, am I already wearing best in slot? Or is there a better, more effective setup? Any help is greatly appreciated
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    It looks fine. But I don't think it's necessarily best in slot (even excluding Trial gear).

1. https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-build-pve/

Although to be fair, I usually take their builds as a starting point and then tweak skills/gear/rotation to suit my own nefarious purposes.

2. Generally speaking, and this is my personal opinion, if your crit-rate pre-Julianos is not high, Mechanical Acuity > Julianos and vice versa. I have not made detailed calculations of where the break point is between the two, but certainly if you're at something like 40% without Julianos then Mechanical Acuity is probably better and certainly not worse than. [The only real issue here is the way the screen goes blurry every time the proc activates. For me, at least.]

3. You will notice from the Alcast site that other valid setups include 2xMonster set (they recommend Ilambris with some source of fire damage) and possibly Willpower x3 (though other options exist). In general, I suspect you can get several variations to hit vaguely similar benchmarks.

4. For some content you want to tweak to get more survivability than damage, e.g. vMA, which of course affects what "BiS" gear really is. [I recall one guide on these forums that recommended a front-bar Resto set-up specifically for vMA so you could heal and shield yourself to the max.]
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im running 5x mechanical acuity(crafted), 2x illambris, 3x willpower 1x asylum and 1x vma destro. Only trial gear is the asylum staff and that is easy with pug nas. They happen all the time and you can trade he stff with others too since everyone gets a wepon every run.

Ive found 3x willpower is comparable to x infalible aether.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you are actually better off using a 4 front /3 back setup (or 4/4 if you don't have Maelstrom yet) than a non-perfect Asylum staff, since a glyph on an infused or charged staff will apply burning status faster than the 1/3 casts of Force Pulse granted by the latter. Burning is actually the only one that's good since the DoT is quite strong, concussed will be applied by your back bar Blockade of Lightning and most bosses now have a long immunity to off-balance; chilled is inconsequential since it applies Minor Maim and slows, debuffs that are already applied by the tank. Also burning increases Ilambris proc chances. That's the reason I use Lightning on both bars in my non-pet build, but the front bar one has flame enchant. In short:

Gear
    5 Law of Julianos (light waist, feet, hands, heavy chest, medium pants, all divines with magicka enchants)
    4/3 Infallible Mage (arcane jewelry with spell damage enchants, infused lightning staff with flame glyph)
    Maelstrom lightning staff, infused with berserker enchant on back bar
    2 Ilambris (light divines with magicka enchants)

Sometimes I use 5/4 IA and 1 Kena instead of 4/3 IA and Ilambris but I haven't seen much of a difference. However I prefer this setup in solo because it has higher slightly critical chance hence more healing and also IA bonus is valuable for bosses that can't be set off-balance since it applies Minor Vulnerability and empowers your heavy attacks - see rotation below. If you don't have IA yet you can go with Martial Knowledge 4/3 or 4/4 and 2 Ilambris. However in this case your critical rating will probably drop under 50%, making Mechanical Acuity worth considering. If you run Clench instead of Curse (see rotation below) then you can run 5 Julianos 5 Nech and Master/Maelstrom (and move your skills around so you apply Clench from Master), or % Julianos 5 Netch 1 Kena/Iceheaer/Ilambris but I'm not really convinced those will perform better since Clench is rather lack luster even when buffed by Master.

Skills (solo)
    Front bar: Mages Wrath | Force Pulse | Hardened Ward | Inner Light | Bound Aegis || Ice Comet
    Back bar: Elemental Blockade | Liquid Lightning | Haunting Curse | Power Surge | Bound Aegis || Elemental Rage

Skills (group)
    Front bar: Mages Wrath | Force Pulse | Crystal Fragments | Inner Light | Bound Aegis || Ice Comet
    Back bar: Elemental Blockade | Liquid Lightning | Haunting Curse | Hardened Ward| Bound Aegis || Elemental Rage

Rotation
    Haunting Curse->LA->Liquid Lightning->LA->Elemental Blockade->Bar Swap->Force Pulse->LA->Force Pulse->HA->Force Pulse [repeat, proc fragments when ready]. Solo LA becomes HA on front bar, since there's no fragments to proc and and you'll need more sustain.
    Edited by Asardes on March 1, 2018 2:23PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Wicked2903
    Wicked2903
    Soul Shriven
    I have been running that and I literally just finished farming for the whole purple Netch’s touch Set last week so I ain’t changing it XD it was definitely a newbie move on my side to farm it so close to the update. But anyways,

I’m running now a 5 piece Netch’s touch, 4 piece Julianos and Iceheart shoulders and helmet and I have been doing great. I am sure I *could* output more damage, but right now my character has so much sustain, I can solo most world bosses on my own. I currently have salmon millet good on me, which amounts to just under 19k health.

As my buffs I usually have power surge and bound aegis active at all times. I will activate bound Armor when being attacked by multiple mobs at once, or in ver dungeons.

Otherwise this is my rotation (with two shock staves): elemental blockade, liquid lightning, haunting curse, heavy attack, (crystal frag, light attack, mages wrath, light attack) x3. Then I reapply buffs and the DoT from the beginning. I use dark conversion+heavy attacks for my recovery phase, which comes after about 2.5 minutes of stacking and using spells. I’m a high elf, if that matters to you, btw. I can’t remember how much magicka I have, I think it’s somewhere around 50k.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wicked2903 wrote: »
    Otherwise this is my rotation (with two shock staves): elemental blockade, liquid lightning, haunting curse, heavy attack, (crystal frag, light attack, mages wrath, light attack) x3. Then I reapply buffs and the DoT from the beginning. I use dark conversion+heavy attacks for my recovery phase, which comes after about 2.5 minutes of stacking and using spells. I’m a high elf, if that matters to you, btw. I can’t remember how much magicka I have, I think it’s somewhere around 50k.

Maximum magicka matters a lot in pet builds, since pet damage scales on magicka alone, but for a non-pet build, your spell damage makes a lot of difference too. Most other skills scale with a variable that's roughly Maximum Magicka/10.5 + Spell Damage, let's call it "spell power". Light and heavy attack damage scales almost entirely on Spell Damage alone. So if you stack maximum magicka, but neglect spell critical and spell damage, your DPS won't be that good. Also there shouldn't be a "recovery phase" where you are gasping for resources and hitting with heavy attacks, but you should do that constantly and stay at almost full magicka till the execute phase. Only then you can weave LA with Mages Wrath to the finish, while refreshing your DoTs and buffs. I'm curious where on your bar do you have the space to slot Boundless Storm and Dark Conversion, as I only have space to run those in PvP, because I run no DoTs there.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Your gear is fine, if you dont hit around 25-30k dps you need to work on your rotation. Non-pet sorc builds are harder to sustain because you spam Force Pulse. What kind of food, mundus and enchants are you using? And what is your rotation?

PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Wicked2903
    Wicked2903
    Soul Shriven
    Asardes wrote: »

Maximum magicka matters a lot in pet builds, since pet damage scales on magicka alone, but for a non-pet build, your spell damage makes a lot of difference too. Most other skills scale with a variable that's roughly Maximum Magicka/10.5 + Spell Damage, let's call it "spell power". Light and heavy attack damage scales almost entirely on Spell Damage alone. So if you stack maximum magicka, but neglect spell critical and spell damage, your DPS won't be that good. Also there shouldn't be a "recovery phase" where you are gasping for resources and hitting with heavy attacks, but you should do that constantly and stay at almost full magicka till the execute phase. Only then you can weave LA with Mages Wrath to the finish, while refreshing your DoTs and buffs. I'm curious where on your bar do you have the space to slot Boundless Storm and Dark Conversion, as I only have space to run those in PvP, because I run no DoTs there.

I’m not sure how to edit my answer on my phone, but I just loaded my character and I have 40k, not 50k. My bad!

Regarding what you said, here’s my bar’s layout:
    Crystal drags, power sege, mages wrath, elemental block, bound aegis

Dark conversion, haunting curse, liquid lightning, hardened ward, bound aegis.

What you’ve said makes a lot of sense and I should improve on that for bosses. For regular mini bosses and trash mobs, I don’t run out of resources.

I will review my spell damage, I haven’t tried any dummies yet, since idk where they are XD
  • ereboz
    ereboz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your gear is fine, if you dont hit around 25-30k dps you need to work on your rotation. Non-pet sorc builds are harder to sustain because you spam Force Pulse. What kind of food, mundus and enchants are you using? And what is your rotation?

Ok. I average 30-40k single target and close to 100 aoe. I use the millet food and apprentice mundus. My rotation is: LA-Liquid Lightning-LA-Blockade-LA-Curse-Bar Swap
    LA-Force Pulse weave until C Frag proc bar swap and reapply everything with some heavy attacks if needed for sustain
  • ereboz
    ereboz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »

I’m not sure how to edit my answer on my phone, but I just loaded my character and I have 40k, not 50k. My bad!

Regarding what you said, here’s my bar’s layout:
    Crystal drags, power sege, mages wrath, elemental block, bound aegis

Dark conversion, haunting curse, liquid lightning, hardened ward, bound aegis.

What you’ve said makes a lot of sense and I should improve on that for bosses. For regular mini bosses and trash mobs, I don’t run out of resources.

I will review my spell damage, I haven’t tried any dummies yet, since idk where they are XD

There's a few different places for target dummies. They're all crafted or bought. If your in a guild, chances are the guild hall (usually guild leaders primary residence) will have one. You can also collect pieces all over tamriel delves and then assemble in clockwork city to make your own and put at your house. There's also one available though trials that takes a lot more to make
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ereboz wrote: »

Ok. I average 30-40k single target and close to 100 aoe. I use the millet food and apprentice mundus. My rotation is: LA-Liquid Lightning-LA-Blockade-LA-Curse-Bar Swap
    LA-Force Pulse weave until C Frag proc bar swap and reapply everything with some heavy attacks if needed for sustain

If you can parse 30-40k with that setup on a 3mil dummy you have nothing to worry about.

Try installing Combat Metric addon and post a screenshot of the parse here (type /cmx after dps test)
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • AuraNebula
    AuraNebula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been watching quite a few magsorc videos since the update. I've noticed that the people who are hitting high 38k and up are still using 75 in Thamaturage. Would that be considered cheese? I'm hitting 33-34k without the 75. I'm just wondering if putting the 75 in there is still viable for vet trials.
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    I have been running that and I literally just finished farming for the whole purple Netch’s touch Set last week so I ain’t changing it XD it was definitely a newbie move on my side to farm it so close to the update. But anyways,

I’m running now a 5 piece Netch’s touch, 4 piece Julianos and Iceheart shoulders and helmet and I have been doing great. I am sure I *could* output more damage, but right now my character has so much sustain, I can solo most world bosses on my own. I currently have salmon millet good on me, which amounts to just under 19k health.

As my buffs I usually have power surge and bound aegis active at all times. I will activate bound Armor when being attacked by multiple mobs at once, or in ver dungeons.

I think your rotation is biggest issue. Try running the rotation listed by asardes. Also if you insist on running those sets, you should at least drop the iceheart for your 5th julianos piece. Run liquid lightning and blockade on the same bar so you can cast them together. On your front bar getvrid of your recovery skills for force pulse and weave that or crystal frag when it procs and only run mages wrath when target is below 20% health. If you want to run your recovery skills, use overload as ultimate and put them on overload bar. But your dps will be terrible if you have a designated recovery segment of your rotation.
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA