The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Forum avatar: use our own images please

EternalDiva
EternalDiva
✭✭✭
Cant recall if I brought this up before or not, but sure would like to use my own icons for avatars. Most of the allowed ones have nothing in common with my characters and I rather like using one of my own toons faces like I do in other games. How hard can it be to allow user to at least upload their own avatar pic? Not asking snarky. just asking. Alternative would be like warcraft to select from one of my toons. Though seems to me that would be a bigger rehaul of the forum just to do that. Not that Im an expert on crafting a forum.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have been perma banned a long time ago if I was allowed to upload my own avatar
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Turelus @Enodoc @SantieClaws have custom ones but you need to be an ambassador
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the issue is moderation effort because there will always be those people...
    Voxicity wrote: »
    I would have been perma banned a long time ago if I was allowed to upload my own avatar
    As said. :tongue:

When the CA were given a chance for a custom one we were still asked to make sure it was relevant to ESO/TES though.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could just make it where you only have one chance to behave with your avatar, and if you break said rules your account is deleted.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The mods have better things to do than chase players for posting up pics of their ***...

• Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even think we need images or signatures. Maybe just your forum name in a different font like Papyrus. Everybody just loves Papyrus...
    signing off
  • EternalDiva
    EternalDiva
    ✭✭✭
    IDK about always be those people. I mean warcraft has always allowed the use of an icon generated from a players game toons. SO that wouldnt allow anyone to stinker tinker. Id love that option over uploading one. Oh well. call me a dreamer. Guess Im just looking for a bit more originality between us here in the forum. A little more distinction. :-)
  • EternalDiva
    EternalDiva
    ✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    I don't even think we need images or signatures. Maybe just your forum name in a different font like Papyrus. Everybody just loves Papyrus...

lol. nnnnooooooooo. Not that font! OMG so reminds me of my days as a designer. No. mo. papyrus. please. lol
  • teiselaise
    teiselaise
    ✭✭✭
    I have been jailed on these forums plenty of times, sometimes fair, sometimes a little unfair in my opinion, if we get custom pics, all you'll ever see is loafs upon loafs, and no one will get perma banned, just a warning from matty and a week in forum jail, or they might be insanely strict and permaban everyone with anything slightly weiner shaped, I don't know what I want the most though, probably few bans, the game is rated 18+ for a reason, let's finally get something matching that rating.

Edit * removed double dot.
    Edited by teiselaise on February 28, 2018 10:59PM
    Argonian masterrace
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We used to be able to upload our own avatars during early beta.
    By October of 2013 that feature had already caused enough trouble that ZOS removed it from the forums.

I highly doubt it will ever be back ...
    bye1.gif
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no doubt we'd get a thousand variations of something like this:

tumblr_inline_n9hy2y7QcJ1qaohnl.gif
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A year or so ago they updated the forum software and accidentally turned on the custom avatar feature for about an hour.

That was one fun hour and very instructive for why they have this feature disabled :wink:
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every forum I'm on except this one allows it and there are never issues I'm aware of . No one even thinks twice about it . If someone's immature they're permanent banned and that's that . Strict rules keeps the peace .
    Edited by Rohamad_Ali on March 1, 2018 12:07AM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every forum I'm on except this one allows it and there are never issues I'm aware of . No one even thinks twice about it . If someone's immature they're permanent banned and that's that . Strict rules keeps the peace .
    I've yet to post on many games forums which allow it if I recall. EVE Online uses your character portrait from the API, SWTOR was a set number, Paradox (not MMO) allows it, Paizo has a set selection. Normally it's a selection or some kind of character feed from an API if allowed.

However it seems the Bethesda forums allow custom ones and don't have issues. I guess it depends how much ZOS think it would be an issue for moderation, whilst I am of the belief a number of people will abuse it if the Bethesda ones aren't being ruined by it... could it be worse here?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Make a special thread where people atleast can request desirable avatars with basic concept. So mods can go there and add approved ideas into basic avatars lists.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    A year or so ago they updated the forum software and accidentally turned on the custom avatar feature for about an hour.

That was one fun hour and very instructive for why they have this feature disabled :wink:
    Countless forums has that function and its not an problem.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • CardboardedBox
    CardboardedBox
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will say im a bit attached to my guar pic, but I definitely would love to make my own.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Countless forums has that function and its not an problem.

Many forums have this function and it is ALWAYS a problem. Moderators always have to keep an eye on avatars, because people either don't know what "appropriate" and "topic-related" means, or because they enjoy transgression.

Also, many forums look like nothing. This one isn't perfect but it has a nice "high standard" policy that I tend to enjoy.

• ktdotexe
    ktdotexe
    ✭✭✭
    [deleted]
    Edited by ktdotexe on July 11, 2019 4:40PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voxicity wrote: »

Good point and explains clearly why we cannot use our own images for avatars. Thankfully we do not have to deal with this.