Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

HELP! Crafting & writs not rewarding my tiresome efforts!!

drkfrontiers
drkfrontiers
✭✭✭✭✭
Hoping someone can help me.

I have some toons that have reach level V in metalworking for example, but I'm still only getting level I rewards, even though I am collecting the writ from the
correct location

Am I missing something?

Just tested another.

l4MfPFk.png

tJt8zda.png

Crafted at Cold Harbour

I have 6.5k iron ingots :/ got enough now.

Edited by drkfrontiers on February 26, 2018 3:41PM
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star."
~ Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you've put the skill points in, you should get rank V writs to give Rank V rewards.
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you crafting for your writs? Are you using iron or ebony?

The only thing I can think of is that you haven't put the skill points into the relevant passive (or the game isn't recognizing that you have).

The only thing I can think of to do would be to reset your skill points and see if that fixes teh game not recognizing that you've got skill points into the right blacksmithing passives, but if its across characters I'm not sure that's going to help - and might need a ticket to ZOS.

Writ rewards, with being able to drop the rewards off in any location now: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Blacksmith_Writ
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear -- are you using the map on the character that is able to make tier 5 items?
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just to be clear -- are you using the map on the character that is able to make tier 5 items?

^^
    Edited by Ashtaris on February 26, 2018 2:41PM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is pretty easy to check, if the game is recognizing your skill points put into metal working - if the writ requires you to craft iron stuff, then it is not recognizing them and you should eventually contact support to figure out why.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all locations are now correct locations so as others have said, its about the skill points you have invested into crafting to raise its rank NOT the general level of it
    Edited by Linaleah on February 26, 2018 2:47PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • drkfrontiers
    drkfrontiers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope then something is definitely off - will log a ticket as

I have 5/10 in metal and clothing and woodwork and all three are still rewarding level I mats, even after crafting level V writs. (And this is not just limited to one toon :( I have x8)

But thanks for all the help.
    Edited by drkfrontiers on February 26, 2018 3:12PM
    "One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star."
    ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 5/10 in metal and clothing and woodwork and all three are still rewarding level I mats, even after crafting level V writs. (And this is not just limited to one toon :( I have x8)

What a moment, that is correct this way - you still get just level 1 crafting materials - but the other rewards differ with the level. Does the crate you get say V or I at the end?

Edit: my guess for why one gets just level 1 crafting materials is, that you have mats available to craft samples for your other characters to research traits from - and this is inexpensive to do with level 1 materials crafted as level 1 items.
    Edited by Lysette on February 26, 2018 3:17PM
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The materials you get are a random level at or below your current craft level. It's perfectly possible to do a max level daily writ and get iron ingots. Are the boxes you're getting named appropriately (I.e. Blacksmithing crate V)?
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    The materials you get are a random level at or below your current craft level. It's perfectly possible to do a max level daily writ and get iron ingots. Are the boxes you're getting named appropriately (I.e. Blacksmithing crate V)?

Hm, I do a total of 13 blacksmithing writs each day where I am playing and I always just got iron ingots. Maybe I am just unlucky but 13 times each day?- this is unlikely.
  • drkfrontiers
    drkfrontiers
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm CP 390 not sure if that matters at all?

Edited by drkfrontiers on February 26, 2018 3:40PM
    ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to crafting writs....hence why I stopped doing them a LONG time ago, they have never been worth it for me unless all your toons are crafters instead of just one.
  • Annalyse
    Annalyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see from your picture that you received a Woodworker's Case VI, containing a Birch staff, so that is correct for the character with the 6/10 passive you also screenshotted. As others have said, the materials you get are a completely random level. If you are getting level 1 materials on all characters then that is just really bad luck! I get level 1 materials a lot but it's a mix for me.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No it's not off, it is fine, you get a birch ornate/intricatestaff then a random box of 25 mats lower than your level.
    doing max level writs might give me a box of maple, but still ruby ash staff to sell or break down.

if you are trying to level an alts crafting, I would just skip writs until you are max level. they are just time consuming and have a low chance of dropping any good mats. Save all your intricates on your main, bank them and decon them on the alt until you get to 50.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the gap is learned or known motif but you do need to hit level 50

The update keeps adding more and more pages so you’d want to get many of those too. I k is many but I’m missing more than I can catch up with so my max writ is no larger than 35-40 but more often 2-4
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on February 26, 2018 9:29PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ore nodes change with levelling up in blacksmithing, once points are applied.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to need lower level mats because of the crafting I do for my guilds. I usually do writs only on my two main crafters, so depending on the reward of 25 of a lower level mat doesn't work too well. I took advantage of being an altaholic; all the alts have crafting skills maxed. Not necessarily all the research, but the smithing/clothing/woodworking skill. I simply set the number of skill points to the mats I want them to find, so all of them will find ruby level mats half the time, and the other half they find what I want them to find, whether its yew, maple, nightwood, iron, high iron, voidstone, rawhide, jute or whatever.

I know it isn't a solution for everyone, but it usually lets me get the mats I need, and I can craft for my under cp160 guildmates for free.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lower level mats in the crates etc. are because a high-level crafter would be unable to gather the mats they provide. When mats were divorced from zone, they changed to 50% char level, 50% crafting level, so only two levels of mats could be found by any individual character. They needed a way to get the others.

The shipments aren't all lowest-level, but a random lower level (which probably has a bias to lowest, as that's the first to fall off your gathering).
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are getting correct level rewards. There is that birch staff. The material box of lower level mats is not part of (original) rewards but filler when there is no survey map.
    Edited by helediron on February 27, 2018 8:36PM
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • drkfrontiers
    drkfrontiers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone - this really helps alot.

At least it confirms one of my suspicions.

I'm still very much a Noob!!
    ~ Friedrich Nietzsche