The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

just getting started doing Undaunted Dungeon pledges; are there any normal dungeons i should avoid?

noequal_1_ESO
noequal_1_ESO
Soul Shriven
so, i just unlocked the Undaunted Dungeon pledges last night and my character is currently 46, a Warden Healer. i've been looking at what dungeons are there each day, and, sometimes, i get DLC dungeons and i'm unsure if i should be doing them with my current character. so, i'm turning to ya'll: are there any normal dungeons i should avoid for the Undaunted pledges until i hit level 50 and start getting CP and better gear? or could i just go straight into them.
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a new player, I would recommend avoiding the dlc pledges.
    They have mechanics that are brutal to new players without much experience.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That really depends. Most would suggest waiting on the DLC dungeons. If you have experience with vet/raid content in other games, its not that big of a deal. DLC dungeons do require a decent amount of DPS, so if you get put in a group with a bunch of people your level your probably not going to get through the content. But if you get put in with more experienced players you should be ok. Just hop on their back and ride along. Most high level players ive found in PUGs are decent humans and they will help you along and carry you. Just pay it forward later.

I usually accept all pledges queue for normal random and see what i get. If i dont get a pledge dungeon, ill run it for my rewards and then queue for the dungeons i want to do. Some of them i dont mess with because they are to long or i just generally dont like the dungeon.
  • noequal_1_ESO
    noequal_1_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    That really depends. Most would suggest waiting on the DLC dungeons. If you have experience with vet/raid content in other games, its not that big of a deal

i was in a mythic raiding guild in WoW and regularly did M+ 15s, not that it probably means much unless you know what i'm talking about. i have experience doing hard content, so, that's not a huge deal. i'm more just wondering if my sub-50 healing and the, uh, quality of random teammates would be good enough if i got a poor group. i mean, i did Banished Cells II, normal, and we almost wiped on the chick that hops into those balls and summons adds because my group was doing barely any damage and one guy died every 15 seconds from just tanking all three balls to the face.

i'm guessing the DLC dungeons are the ones that are just their name, correct, and don't have I/II?
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The DLCs are White Gold Tower, Imperial city Prison, Ruins of Mazzatun, Cradle of Shadows, Falkreath hold, Bloodroot Forge, Fang Lair, and Scalecaller Peak.
    The ones that dont have a 1/2 but that are base-game dungeons (Blackheart Haven, Volenfell, Selenes Web, Tempest Island, Arx Corinium, Blessed Crucible, Direfrost Keep) are generally easier and with less mechanics than the DLCs. The number 2 dungeons are often a bit more mechanics heavy than these.
    Group quality is all over the place if you solo group finder, you will get one group that nukes everything and you never even see mechanics, and others where damage is super low and the group may even struggle on trash mobs.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That really depends. Most would suggest waiting on the DLC dungeons. If you have experience with vet/raid content in other games, its not that big of a deal

i was in a mythic raiding guild in WoW and regularly did M+ 15s, not that it probably means much unless you know what i'm talking about. i have experience doing hard content, so, that's not a huge deal. i'm more just wondering if my sub-50 healing and the, uh, quality of random teammates would be good enough if i got a poor group. i mean, i did Banished Cells II, normal, and we almost wiped on the chick that hops into those balls and summons adds because my group was doing barely any damage and one guy died every 15 seconds from just tanking all three balls to the face.

i'm guessing the DLC dungeons are the ones that are just their name, correct, and don't have I/II?

I played wow up until shortly after the kung fu pandas were released, and raided in wow until that point. Normal dungeons here besides the basic ones have harder bosses and less/easier trash. For most of the normal dungeons the total HPS of my groups have been around 5k-9k( get combatmetrics if you dont have and are on PC).

Really it comes down to a couple of things on how much HPS you need:

* how fast can stuff be dpsed down
    * how good is your group at avoiding damage.

You have a few things working for you in ESO that you dont have in WoW:
    * Pretty much everyone has access to a heal. How many keep one on their bars i dont know( I keep two heals) which does help in tough situations. Tanks tend to be pretty good at self healing for at least a bit. As we have lost a healer for 30-45 seconds in boss fights and not wiped.
    * This brings me to the second plus to ESO. You can combat rez. You can self rez in non boss fights and you can rez others in boss fights. Ive had entire groups wipe but one dps and he managed to kite the boss and rez someone who rezzed me and the other person. So dying is not as big of a deal in ESO( IMO anyway)
    * All mobs are set at a certain level and players change. Players with CP( and a level 20 in your group may have 600 CP it just wont show until they hit 50) are a lot more resilient and much better at dpsing things down minimizing the need of heals.
    * Finally, and this is a combination of the above, many dungeons in this game can be soloed and you can make it through bosses minus even a healer or tank sometimes. Really it comes down to group composition. If you have a bunch of level 46s in a group your probably going to wipe on DLC dungeons. You get a couple of cp160 or higher in that group with decent gear and that will probably change things significantly.

Ultimately on one hand if your in a group of lowbies, they are going to be tolerant of any short comings you have as they also will have them. If your in a group with higher level players, they will likely be able to negate or heal damage to a degree as well as DPS stuff down fast enough you dont need a lot of effort.

At the end of the day, id say do the dungeons( just stay out of vet content for a while as they are much more picky). The best thats going to happen is you will complete the dungeon and the worse is they boot you out of group. Ive been in very few normal PUGs in which someone was booted. Its usually a disconnect or someone leaving that causes my groups to need a replacement. And ive had some crappy dungeon runs and some that we couldnt even complete.

I just had one dungeon tonight in which i had to carry the group. The other DPS seemed to be distracted by chat, or tv or something else and would occasionally make a token gesture and fire off a spell. At one point he was so far behind that he didnt show up for all the trash between bosses and half of a boss fight. Heals just sorted of healed. I almost died twice even though i was staying out of the red the best one can. I had to self heal a few different times. She just mostly stood there( maybe talking to the other DPS in chat?) The tank was doing about 30% -40% of the dps and i was doing 50% plus in every fight.

In that respect dungeons are more forgiving in this game than Wow. Roles here are less important and more blurred. The thing that makes these dungeons seem harder is raid mechanics on some of the bosses even in normal mode.

I think you will do fine and even if you dont, not to many people in a normal pug are going to complain about it.
    Edited by Anotherone773 on February 25, 2018 6:40AM
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As people are explaining, try to avoid dlc dungeons. You will either get kicked from them or people will assume you are a 690 alt, but once you hit 50 they can tell you aren't.
    Normal dungeons aren't really that hard, but I would wait until you get 160 to do the dlc ones. You jump for 50-120 pretty fast, in a day iirc.

Normal dungeons are for learning mechanics, so in each dungeon, try to quick type chat at the beginning, something like "im a noob, trying to learn mecs" this way, you will find people, like myself, who would patiently explain mechanics for you, and also it takes away the chances that you die and people kick you for being a noob. Though I doubt anyone would kick anyone in a non dlc normal dungeon.
    As for vet, I personally would suggest to wait until you have done all the normal dungeons multiple times and have all the mecs down, and be 300 cp to enter vet. A lot of people will kick low cp players in a vet dungeon, especially pledge day, as you just make the dungeon longer. You can do the non dlc vet dungeons at 160, but might struggle with a few. Absolutely don't bother trying the vet dlc dunegons until 300, you will have a bad time.

good luck
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    As people are explaining, try to avoid dlc dungeons. You will either get kicked from them or people will assume you are a 690 alt, but once you hit 50 they can tell you aren't.
    Normal dungeons aren't really that hard, but I would wait until you get 160 to do the dlc ones. You jump for 50-120 pretty fast, in a day iirc.

Normal dungeons are for learning mechanics, so in each dungeon, try to quick type chat at the beginning, something like "im a noob, trying to learn mecs" this way, you will find people, like myself, who would patiently explain mechanics for you, and also it takes away the chances that you die and people kick you for being a noob. Though I doubt anyone would kick anyone in a non dlc normal dungeon.
    As for vet, I personally would suggest to wait until you have done all the normal dungeons multiple times and have all the mecs down, and be 300 cp to enter vet. A lot of people will kick low cp players in a vet dungeon, especially pledge day, as you just make the dungeon longer. You can do the non dlc vet dungeons at 160, but might struggle with a few. Absolutely don't bother trying the vet dlc dunegons until 300, you will have a bad time.

good luck

Actually, i said the opposite. As soon as dungeons were added to my list, i did them if they came up because i did random normal. I was never kicked. Most people PUGing normal dungeons are understanding and the elitists are few. If an elitist doesnt want to be thrown in with the casuals, then they shouldnt PUG it.

End result, kicks are rare in my experience even if the group is failing or having a hard time in a normal. Ive been in far more groups that failed and gave up than i have in groups that said its "player x" and kicked them.