The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Dragons and Peryite

Avrael
Avrael
✭✭✭✭
Ok, here is the picture: Dragons in the TES-Lore are, as we know from Skyrim, no Dragons, but Wyverns. Dragons have many variations, but the most common known are western dragons. Scales, Horns, 4 legs, Wings, puke fire, out of medival tales. Wyverns are dragons too, but have only 2 legs and wings for arms. Like the "dragons" in Skyrim.
But there is one exception: The daedric prince of pestilence and natural order, Peryite. He is pictured as a 4 legged, slender but pretty normal western dragon. This came to my attention again in a new Dungeon we will get in the Dragon Bones DLC, Scalecaller Peak. In this dungeon are statues of Peryite as a dragon.

It always bothered me that the dragons in Skyrim/TES were the much less badass versions of dragons, wyverns. They could have been awesome, but Bethesda choose to cripple them into a minor existence. And now i have to question why. As we can see, the designers know what dragons look like. They certanly already did while create Skyrim. Why not bring real dragons into... THE game thats about dragons in all of history? Just imagine Alduin as a dragon with 4 legs and extra wings. Am i the only one for whom that would make a big, positive difference?
But well, its much too late to change that. Still, id love to know why they choose to do this.
"I mustache you a question."
"Well shave it for later."
  • Highlor3
    Highlor3
    ✭✭✭✭
    TES is not D&D. TES Dragons may look like Wyverns, but in TES lore they are Dragons.
    Dragons and Wyverns are mythical creatures, portrayed in literature, heraldry, and other culture stuff. They aren't real, therefore they can be depicted in any form that the creator want.

There's something called suspension of disbelief, that in this case is easier, as dragons & wyverns' set characteristics only exist in real world as foklore. By doing so, you won't bother yourself so much.
    Edited by Highlor3 on January 28, 2018 12:17PM
    [PC-NA] CP 1400+ The Conquest of Tamriel, UESP & Taverna do Mestre
    The Scientia Consortium:
    • Rodbertus Quercus, Imperial, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Robert Bethencourt, Breton, Templar [DC]
    • Karlindah Telvanni, Dunmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Hejthuxis (former Raises-Her-Rear), Argonian, Nightblade [EP]
    • Limeril Bravewind, Altmer, Warden [AD]
    • Isilarelen, Dunmer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Elindael, Bosmer, Warden [AD]
    • Hrodberaht Bright-Fame, "Nordguard", Warden [EP]
    • Ra'Kham, Khajiit, Nightblade [DC]
    • Brazilia gra-Bagol, Orsimer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Nirrah al-Hegathe, Redguard, Necromancer [DC]
    • Theodora Quercus, Imperial, Templar [DC]
    • Cuddles-In-The-Water, Argonian, Templar [EP]
    • Cainneach the Pale, Reachman, Necromancer [AD]
    • Dughlas af-Fearley, Redguard, Sorcerer [DC]
    • Roze Cloturier, Breton, Arcanist [AD]
    • Alvyrspic the Remnant, Nord, Arcanist [DC]
    [PC-EU] No CP THE CAPS ARMY
    • Adaltos Indoril, Dunmer, Templar [EP]
    • Geralt of Evermore, Breton, Nightblade [DC]
    • Feainneweedd, Altmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Robert Cloturier-Baudiae, Breton, Arcanist [DC]
    • M'ahnurr the Elusive, Khajiit, Arcanist [AD]
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Highlor said. Next you want to tell us vampires aren't really vampires because garlic and crosses don't work and they don't burn in daylight.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Avrael
    Avrael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thats a good point about vampires... nah, jk.
    I was just always very interested in dragons, and remember the first time i played Skyrim, i was really dissapointed. xD
    And... Peryites statues arent dragons in the TES Lore then? What are they? Wyrms? Something entirely diffrent? I know hes a daedric prince, and his real apperance is a mystery, but just from the point of the statues now.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Avrael wrote: »
    And... Peryites statues arent dragons in the TES Lore then? What are they? Wyrms? Something entirely diffrent? I know hes a daedric prince, and his real apperance is a mystery, but just from the point of the statues now.

They're just statues of Peryite, he didn't necessarily take the exact form of an existing creature. Look at Hermaeus Mora!
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Avrael
    Avrael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ye, as i said, the real apperance of daedric princes is most of the time a mystery. They have statues and shrines with pictures of them ofc, and show themselves to humans once in a while, but if thats their real apperance is to be questioned too.
    Yes, maybe the statues of peryite are just made of from humans, for humans. And honestly i dont really care that the statues are of a daedric prince, what i cared about was the fact that there are statues of 4 legged dragons. It just seemed confusing to me. xD
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are talking about something that doesn't exist. Yeah they take inspiration from classic stories. They aren't going to go ahead and make a "dragon" a dog.

But at the same time a dragon in ES isn't the same as other literature or media in general.

They have statues of 4 legged reptile like creatures that have wings. Doesn't mean that they are dragons. In this case they aren't.
  • Avrael
    Avrael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yamenstein wrote: »
    They have statues of 4 legged reptile like creatures that have wings. Doesn't mean that they are dragons. In this case they aren't.

Found this now, the lore in skyrim and this quote from the TES-Wiki "When he does appear to mortals, he usually takes the form of a large dragon, wyrm, or an aspect of a gathering of large rats." says, Periyte is depicted as a dragon, and those are statues of Peryite, so they are statues of dragons. Wyrms are dragons too, but i believe thats a specific name for dragons without wings, like a Leviathan or something, so they dont quite fit the description for the statues. And i think we can all agree those arent rats either.
    Avrael wrote: »

So ill correct myself here, they 100% are dragons.
  • funguy
    funguy
    ✭✭
    Let me explain it like this. The only "true" dragons are Akatosh and his dragons in Skyrim

Titans (eso "dragons") is a lame deadric copy of that power Akatosh's dragons have. (Yes in Skyrim we kill them easy, but we are Dovakins there. People with destiny and abillites to kill dragons)

What about Peryite as u might know he is the weakest for Deadric Princes. And he is jealous of power and respect of Akatosh
    and his dragons. Thats why he choose to show him self in front of other as dragon-like creature. To confuse mortals and let other princes leave him be.
  • Greifenherz
    Greifenherz
    ✭✭✭
    If Skyrim dragons and Peryite confuse you, don't ever play Monster Hunter.
  • Avrael
    Avrael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, daedric Titans for instance i would not see as dragons. At least not in the game. In the real world you could maybe call them small dragons, but here i wouldnt call them that.
    And ye, read that about Peryite in his Wiki-Article already. Hes basically cleaning the daedric realms. Poor guy.

I guess Monster Hunter would be probably easier to understand, when not everything has deep lore there like in the TES Games. xD Wouldnt dragons and daedra have so much lore and were so interesting, i probably wouldnt care about this topic.
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    Use UESP is more reliable, not ES WIKI. Wiki has gotten many things wrong in ES lore or only gives 1/4 of the full story
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Peryite
    Edited by Kierro on February 20, 2018 7:59PM