The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trials Question

JackSmirkingRevenge
So I admittedly have not run any trials yet as I am just getting back to this game. I do however plan on doing end game content once I get there. My question has to do with group composition and classes for trials. All over the forums I am reading how groups should be ranged heavy due to encounter mechanics (this isnt really new for MMo's). My problem is that the diversity of viable ranged classes based on what I have read for dps seems to be sorely lacking. It sounds like Magika DK, Magicka Warden, Magika Templar, are all in a *** place atm. So are groups just full of sorcs and NBs?

I hope my assessment of the current state of classes is misinformed, which it most definitely could be since I am just getting back into this game.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It entirely depends what you're doing and what your aims are. The below is a rough guide from my observation and by no means a set of requirements or entirely factual.

Normal trials - Any class/race combination, stamina or magicka, 15-20k DPS for each DD should be fine.

Veteran trials - Any class/race combination, stamina or magicka, 20k+ DPS for each DD can do them. However note that the more DPS you have the less you need to face mechanics.

Veteran hard mode trials - Any class/race combination, some specific builds favoured, 30k+ DPS for each DD recommended.

Leaderboard trials - Min/max class/race combination, specific builds, 40k+ DPS for each DD recommended. Note this is to compete, not just to score on them.

As well as considering the above you need to consider which trial it is. The Craglorn trials are far easier than the DLC/Expansion ones. Generally order of difficulty from easiest to hardest goes as follows.

Aetherian Archive > Hel'Ra Citadel > Sanctum Ophidia > Asylum Sanctorium > Maw of Lorkhaj > Halls of Fabrication > HM Asylum Sanctorium.
    Other hard modes (HM) mixed in there somewhere.

Your group composition will change somewhat depending on what you're doing. Normally the main change is the number of tanks needed for the content.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than asylum hm, other trials can be done with melee dps.
  • supaskrub
    supaskrub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magwarden is not so good but can still complete in vet trials if they are just for fun runs and not challenging for number 1 spot on leaderboards. You seem to be miss-informed because there is too much emphasis placed on burning stuff down to avoid mechanics from OP groups that have OP players and OP ego's.
    Get a few normal runs under your belt and progress onto veteran trials content, the Craglorn trials are pretty straightforward on vet with average classes and average dps (speaking in the 25k bracket give or take a couple of k). Once you start looking at vet hard modes or veteran MoL, Hof and AS then there is a sharp difficulty spike but thats something you work towards.
  • JackSmirkingRevenge
    Thanks everyone, makes me feel a lot better. I am more interested in things like vet trials, not leaderboard runs and am enjoying my Stam warden a lot. Was going to be frustrated if I got to max and realized I couldn't do anything! Good informative responses.
    Edited by JackSmirkingRevenge on February 20, 2018 3:30PM