The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Talking Magblade

WacArnold
WacArnold
✭✭✭
Next patch we have new sets and new weapons been thinking about some new builds to try.
Right now i use heavy armor as a brawler, i hate using shields, and perfer hots. So fortified brass is catching my eye it looks like a good way to keep the defense and heath of heavy armor while getting the perks of light armor passives for damage.

Im thinking of running a damage set + fort brass and 1 monster shoulder. 5/1/1 light armor.

Also thoughts on the new force pulse staff?im not to sold on it for a magblade unless the damage is downright stupid. Giving up the hot and increase to healing recieved is counter productive for my build.
Edited by WacArnold on October 23, 2017 3:55PM
Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Riposte + trans + skoria = light armor brawler. It’s very, very good.
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

hasn't crit damage been reduced in pvp?

I was thinking about collecting the wizard's riposte - just because it's so popular :)

I can't remember exactly what stuff it involved - but, aren't there fewer ways now to hit folks with damage that crits...
    Edited by geonsocal on October 25, 2017 5:41AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
    Options
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭

Where does your damage come from with this build i see that setup mentioned alot, i dont understand how it works so well. Is it for cp or no cp, i duel alot and most people are really tanky does it work vs tanky people? Also i solo pvp so will i have enough damage to take people out myself or is this build also relying on group.

Would love to give it a try, i just need to know how this build works what is the mechanics around it.
    Edited by WacArnold on October 25, 2017 3:15PM
    Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

I was thinking about collecting the wizard's riposte - just because it's so popular :)

I can't remember exactly what stuff it involved - but, aren't there fewer ways now to hit folks with damage that crits...

crit is the best way to deal lethal burst, protecting against crit damage is therefore the best way to survive otherwise lethal burst.

@WacArnold the damage comes from light armor passives, skoria, and mageblade mechanics(keeping DoTs ticking, good weaves, staying aggressive, etc). Trans/riposte/skoria is, for example, more damage and better magika sustain than trans/julianos/skoria in heavy. 170 unbuffed spell damage less but 2% more crit and ~9% penetration more, coming out to significantly more burst and pressure damage.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 25, 2017 3:29PM
    Options
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

crit is the best way to deal lethal burst, protecting against crit damage is therefore the best way to survive otherwise lethal burst.

@WacArnold the damage comes from light armor passives, skoria, and mageblade mechanics(keeping DoTs ticking, good weaves, staying aggressive, etc). Trans/riposte/skoria is, for example, more damage and better magika sustain than trans/julianos/skoria in heavy. 170 unbuffed spell damage less but 2% more crit and ~9% penetration more, coming out to significantly more burst and pressure damage.

Ok also you can always add in your damage glyphs and even spell damage mundus on top of a build like that right?
    Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    WacArnold wrote: »

Ok also you can always add in your damage glyphs and even spell damage mundus on top of a build like that right?

I run all spell damage glyphs since trans+light+siphoning is all the magika sustain you need, I usually back bar an infused resto staff with berserker glyph and front bar a poison on a Precise(nirn is BiS with poison but we can't transmute on console yet). Tri-stat food. Fully buffed its ~2900 spell damage with a destro staff, which is easily enough damage.

And those damage numbers were assuming you can fit all damage glyphs on the heavy julianos/trans/skoria. If you need any regen glyphs then the damage of light armor begins to drastically outperform heavy. I personally have been running apprentice on my mageblade, but I ran serpent for a bit and enjoyed the stamina sustain while not missing the damage much

For reference, I've got a 15k tooltip on assassin's will, 60% crit chance and between 1.88 and 2.03 CHD modifier(resto ult), and 10-15k pen(depending if I'm running ele drain or not, I usually don't though). I pretty consistently see 9k crits on good players and I'm pretty sure I "1 shotted" @Waffennacht in this setup with an empowered will crit while he was running a light armor+sturdy build(caught him while block was down during a bar swap <3) so against squishy set ups you can absolute mash people

The best thing is, these sets are cheap, it'll cost you probably 30k gold to test it and see how you like it. I think you'll find that keeping your DoTs up you'll be proc'ing skoria A LOT. And one thing people don't consider is that skoria hits harder on a light armor build than a heavy armor build since it benefits from your increased spell penetration.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 25, 2017 4:12PM
    Options
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭

I run all spell damage glyphs since trans+light+siphoning is all the magika sustain you need, I usually back bar an infused resto staff with berserker glyph and front bar a poison on a Precise(nirn is BiS with poison but we can't transmute on console yet). Tri-stat food. Fully buffed its ~2900 spell damage with a destro staff, which is easily enough damage.

And those damage numbers were assuming you can fit all damage glyphs on the heavy julianos/trans/skoria. If you need any regen glyphs then the damage of light armor begins to drastically outperform heavy. I personally have been running apprentice on my mageblade, but I ran serpent for a bit and enjoyed the stamina sustain while not missing the damage much

For reference, I've got a 15k tooltip on assassin's will, 60% crit chance and between 1.88 and 2.03 CHD modifier(resto ult), and 10-15k pen(depending if I'm running ele drain or not, I usually don't though). I pretty consistently see 9k crits on good players and I'm pretty sure I "1 shotted" @Waffennacht in this setup with an empowered will crit while he was running a light armor+sturdy build(caught him while block was down during a bar swap <3) so against squishy set ups you can absolute mash people

The best thing is, these sets are cheap, it'll cost you probably 30k gold to test it and see how you like it. I think you'll find that keeping your DoTs up you'll be proc'ing skoria A LOT. And one thing people don't consider is that skoria hits harder on a light armor build than a heavy armor build since it benefits from your increased spell penetration.

Awesome man thanks for explaining this setup getting on right now to look for riposite. I know i have trans stashed away and at least a ring or neck for riposite looking forward to trying this out.
    Options
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah just got all the gear with purple percise staff lol and its already doing good. Gonna get a sharp staff gold it out and use this build thanks guys very nice.
    Edited by WacArnold on October 26, 2017 1:44AM
    Options
  • MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This build still good right now? And do you backbar the transmutation and front bar the riposte set?
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This build still good right now? And do you backbar the transmutation and front bar the riposte set?

You should tag him to make sure he sees

@Lexxypwns you hath been summoned!
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It works, but if you’re playing on a platform where Dragon Bones is released then it’s too much defense. With the shadow image fix I don’t see the need to run so much defense. Personally I think the best all purpose mageblade setups are no longer 5-5-2 but instead 5-5-1-1 with either vma resto or masters inferno, 1 domi, a 5pc on both bars, and a 5pc that fills your other staff slot.

For no-CP I like 5x seducer 3x willpower 2 Skoria Masters destro vma resto if you’ve got access to both staves. If not then I like Lich+Riposte+Skoria.
    Options
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Trans/riposte might have more damage than juli/riposte on paper, but put them against each other and the heavy setup will always win provided the skill level is the same imo. Marginally more damage doesn't do much when you're constantly forced on the defensive by the other setup that's doing roughly the same damage you do but can eat up more shots before retreating on the off bar.

Honestly, if I were to pick a duel/berserker setup I'd always go for heavy juli/riposte (unless you wanna go with some duroks cheese). Trans/riposte is more of a group setup imo, especially since you're squishy af in light with no shields (doesn't matter how many defensive sets you stack, you're still in light with no shields and block) which is a turn off for duels and solo pvp where you're prone to high bursts.
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »

Trans/riposte might have more damage than juli/riposte on paper, but put them against each other and the heavy setup will always win provided the skill level is the same imo. Marginally more damage doesn't do much when you're constantly forced on the defensive by the other setup that's doing roughly the same damage you do but can eat up more shots before retreating on the off bar.

Honestly, if I were to pick a duel/berserker setup I'd always go for heavy juli/riposte (unless you wanna go with some duroks cheese). Trans/riposte is more of a group setup imo, especially since you're squishy af in light with no shields (doesn't matter how many defensive sets you stack, you're still in light with no shields and block) which is a turn off for duels and solo pvp where you're prone to high bursts.

CP or No CP, in no CP, the squishiness of light isn't nearly as bad and makes those defensive sets better
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »

CP or No CP, in no CP, the squishiness of light isn't nearly as bad and makes those defensive sets better

Oh right hahaha. I actually have limited noCP experience, but from what I experienced in BGs and swift visits to noCP campaign, heavy magblade is pretty trash in there :lol:
    Options