The connection issues for the North American PC/Mac megaserver have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

About Dwemers and Clockwork City Design

Avrael
Avrael
✭✭✭✭
I have to say, it kind of bothers me that Dwemer Culture and Machines, and Clockwork City Culture and Machines look almost identical.
I know that Sotha Sil probably took a lot of ideas for his work from the Dwemer, but... if Sotha Sil (or in the real case, the designers of the game) would have at least chosen a steel/silver Metal color for the Clockwork City and everything, it would have made such a big diffrence.
And would have looked much better imo. Just imagine the City, environment and factotums in steel instead of brass. I can see that most people would say "But steel or gray are boring", but that would be kinda the point in my eyes. I personally like sterile/simple colored environments, especially if they would be in contrast to the "normal" colorful Fantasy world of games like Eso. But that could be just me.
One big point for me is, that the 2 last Trials, Halls of Fabrication and Asylum Sanctorium, look almost identical. It just looks like they wanted to save work. Which isnt even the case, because i dont think any textures got reused, but because of the theme it looks like it. Its just a bad design choice imo, to make 2 trails one after another in themes that are this close, both brass colored and about machines, with "robot" enemies if you want to oversimplify it.

What do you all think about this? That those 2 totally diffrent cultures looks almost the same? Did you even know they were not related at all, or maybe thought at some points there is no difference between dwemer machines and factotums at all? Would you like to see the Clockwork City in another color/style? Do you have other ideas how it could be made different/better?
Edited by Avrael on January 31, 2018 3:07PM
"I mustache you a question."
"Well shave it for later."
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you read the lore and listen to Sotha, he tells you he was influenced and inspired by the Dwemer. Dwemer Technology is at the base of all of his research.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MAEK
    MAEK
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't both HoF and AS clockwork? It makes sense for them to look similair, since they were created by the same person.
    Avrael wrote: »
    ...Did you even know they were not related at all...

What? Didn't Sotha Sil get massively inspired by the dwemer, meaning that they are very much related?
  • Avrael
    Avrael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inspired is not really related for me... the Dwemer were dead a long time already before the Clockwork City got build, no Dwemer laid hand on it.
    And i belive HoF is Dwemer, because its on Vvardenfell and Clockwork City came afterwards. But thats exactly what i mean, most people cant even tell the diffrence, and i dont blame them. If you dont look closely and know the lore, it just seems like the same.
    Edited by Avrael on January 31, 2018 9:32PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inspired is not really related for me... the Dwemer were dead a long time already before the Clockwork City got build, no Dwemer laid hand on it.
    And i belive HoF is Dwemer, because its on Vvardenfell and Clockwork City came afterwards. But thats exactly what i mean, most people cant even tell the diffrence, and i dont blame them. If you dont look closely and know the lore, it just seems like the same.

To add to this, Sotha SIl was alive and a companion of Nerevar when the Dwemer disappeared, shortly before Sotha Sil and the rest of the Tribunal used the Heart of Lorkhan to become gods. Given that Nerevar was best friends with Dumac Dwarf-king, its not that surprising the Sotha Sil would be very familiar with Dwemer machines and how they work.

I find the Dwemer style and the Clockwork style to be visually distinct enough. The Clockwork brass and Dwemer metal read as distinctly different shades of gold/brass to me and the stone that forms the base of their buildings is also clearly different. Where they are similar, well, there was plenty of trade and fighting between the Chimer kingdom of Resdayn and the Vvardenfell Dwemer, so I'm not bothered by it.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MAEK wrote: »
    Aren't both HoF and AS clockwork? It makes sense for them to look similair, since they were created by the same person.

Correct. The Halls of Fabrication are part of the Clockwork City, just not a part we can access in the DLC.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • Avrael
    Avrael
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just googelt it, and really... HoF is Clockwork too. My bad, i was wrong. I thought it was Dwemer, but the second boss even is called "Pinnacle Factotum". Should have thought harder. Now im even more confused. X-x And yes right, Sotha Sil was still in the time of the dwemer, i knew that, but didnt remember that either.
    most people cant even tell the diffrence, and i dont blame them. If you dont look closely and know the lore, it just seems like the same.
    This fits me also, im one of those people. <-<'
    Well, but now it seems even laizier that they made 2 Trials in the same region... but i guess Craglorn also has 3 Trials, so...
    Now i thought about this a bit more, and it kinda makes a lot of sense that the color of Clockwork City is brass... real life clockworks color is brass too, pretty much always. I guess i just wanted to see dwemer and clockwork more diffrent then they are. Maybe i should view everything in the Clockwork City as "Improved/ripped of Dwemer". xD

Edited by Avrael on February 1, 2018 2:08PM
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hof are early era clockwork and incorporates dwemer automatons in refabricated form, cwc areas are modern in design and don't use dwemer automatons. dwemer brass is golden and clockwork is more brown
  • platonicidealgirlfriend
    Dwemer and Clockwork machina aren't brass just because it looks cool and "brass" isn't actually an alloy of copper and zinc. Brass is the byproduct of tonal manipulation upon metal, ergo they look the same because they're made via the same process and are largely the same material. The differentiation comes in the complexity and aesthetic vision of Sotha Sil upon Clockwork, and this is lampshaded during the Precursor quest where they discuss the "ugly" Dwemer-derived design of the Precursor.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its is like clockwork style is/has/was evolved from Dwemer style.....so kinda makes sense that it looks the same.

Like if the Dwemer people continued (on Tamriel) that's what it might look like..

-side note- would be awesome if the dwemer were in a pocket realm of Aetherius or some were still left on another continent. Or both. lol
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Clockwork City creations/fabricants have biological components in them.

Dwemer creations do not.