The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Extremely dangerous housing storage bug still exists! Don't delete your characters!

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blink.gif
    Options
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They did say they were putting these in to help free up some storage space....
    Options
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    If this went to live, I'm very puzzled as well. This was posted on the PTS forum well in advance of launch day, but they still pushed it to live because they couldn't fix it in time.

So apparently at ZOS deadlines come before quality. That's the only thing that I can conclude from cases like this.
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
    Options
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not using these chests until this is fixed and then add 3 months to that date.
    Options
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sygil05 wrote: »
    Jarryzzt wrote: »

So yes, beat ZOS up for not putting the fix in earlier, but they are aware of the issue and a fix does exist.

I think the point that most people are trying to make here is that ZOS should not release updates with known bugs, especially if a fix is in the works for the near future. What's occurred here is that they set their release date for the DLC, and decided to stick with it regardless of whatever happened during testing.

Another rushed roll out that proves ZOS has learned nothing from all their previous mistakes.

Agree completely.
    Options
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously how has no one from Zos not commented yet? We have all kinds of comments on the XP exploit and what they are going to do to those nasty XP hoarders but people are losing bound items and its crickets. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom , guys hello?

Yeah that is [snip] ridiculous tbh.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 16, 2023 3:47PM
    Options
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Ydrisselle wrote: »
    Tavore1138 wrote: »
    So if we don't delete anyone (or clear chests before doing so) we are safe?

I think it's safe to delete if you log in a toon you keep before deleting the character.

Can someone verify that this is actually true... that you just have to log into a character you plan to keep BEFORE deleting a character and everything will be safe.

If you need to delete a character and you have put these chests into use, empty them completely before deleting.
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is unnerving is the fact that ZOS still has YET to even respond to this thread... what are they waiting for?!? Seems like this is a HUGE deal, yet nothing from them about it.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sygil05 wrote: »
    Jarryzzt wrote: »

So yes, beat ZOS up for not putting the fix in earlier, but they are aware of the issue and a fix does exist.

I think the point that most people are trying to make here is that ZOS should not release updates with known bugs, especially if a fix is in the works for the near future. What's occurred here is that they set their release date for the DLC, and decided to stick with it regardless of whatever happened during testing.

Another rushed roll out that proves ZOS has learned nothing from all their previous mistakes.

I'd have to say the real problem for me is not the bugged release but that this bug was known and not mentioned in the patch notes to warn players.

Bound stuff is usually going to be sets you have raided for, crown purchases or sets you have worn often with good traits etc. Seems like they could have alerted people to this possible loss issue and got themselves some goodwill instead of a lot of rage from people losing items and a lot of work for the support teams getting asked to find them again.

To be honest the decent thing to do would have been to released the patch without the storage with an announcement to say storage would be enabled in a week when a serious bug was corrected - win for everyone.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
    Options
  • Snowfaeriewings
    Snowfaeriewings
    ✭✭✭
    Eremith wrote: »
    Test 1: Create test character, immediately log out and delete: Chest Intact.
    Test 2: Select previously existing test character, deposit item, leave house, log out and delete: Chest Intact
    Test 3: Create test character, immediately port to house, log out and delete: Chest Intact.

It's possible this has been fixed in the current PTS build. Or there may be another factor.

Bait items were three green recipes, a sip of health, and three furnishing items (two purple, one green).

All testing was done with storage chests, not storage coffers, that was an oversight.
    @starkerealm
    Only bound items going to be lost. Recipes, potions and furnishings (unless they're from Crown Store) are not bound. That's why these items wasn't lost.

Okay, I'll take another look at it in the morning.

Day 2

Bait: Oblivion's Edge in each chest and coffer (not counting the levelup coffer). (Deposited from a template.)

Test 1: Create character, Delete: Chest Intact.

Bait update: Template Undaunted Infiltrator, deposited to Tythus. Deposited to bank by "Starke-Test-Delete"

Test 2: Create Character, Deposit Undaunted Infiltrator into Chests, leave house, log out and delete: AND WE HAVE A WINNER! All 14 items are gone. All bound items are toast. Unbound items remain.

Yes with my character i left my house before deleting her because she had money to bank...
    Options
  • Snowfaeriewings
    Snowfaeriewings
    ✭✭✭
    DMBCML wrote: »
    I lost 90-100 pieces of gear... And support wants me to list whats missing?! I dunno what she had.. a bunch of trials sets and stuff waiting for alts to level! SIGH

Can't they just reinstate that character?

Well they just restored that character... Cross your fingers my gear is back...
    Options
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Test 2: Select previously existing test character, deposit item, leave house, log out and delete: Chest Intact
    Test 3: Create test character, immediately port to house, log out and delete: Chest Intact.

It's possible this has been fixed in the current PTS build. Or there may be another factor.

Bait items were three green recipes, a sip of health, and three furnishing items (two purple, one green).

All testing was done with storage chests, not storage coffers, that was an oversight.

They need to be bound items.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
    Options
  • Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was lucky, I saw this yesterday, and so went thru the hassle of moving all the stuff thru the bank to a main crafting char that I know I will never delete, and having her put it all in the box.

I'm not gonna let any alt that I may have any chance of deleting put stuff in the box.

IMO, this is really broken, and a major flaw. It's a shame too, cause I really enjoy ESO, so anything like this that I see as a major blunder is really a shame.
    Options
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if a problem occurs if you change your character's name/race/etc rather than deleting them? I have a storage alt who's going to be turned into a real character. I'm not exactly sure how the game determines which character "owns" items (whether it's by name or some internal ID code), so I'm not sure whether renaming a character could make items disappear.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Options
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tomg999 wrote: »
    I was lucky, I saw this yesterday, and so went thru the hassle of moving all the stuff thru the bank to a main crafting char that I know I will never delete, and having her put it all in the box.

I'm not gonna let any alt that I may have any chance of deleting put stuff in the box.

It's not enough to protect your stuff. Interacting with the chest is not nedded. Items will dissapear even if character-to-delete didn't touch the chest at all. Items will disappear if character-to-delete was the last one who have been in the house.
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
    Options
  • preedb16_ESO2
    preedb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    baratron wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a problem occurs if you change your character's name/race/etc rather than deleting them? I have a storage alt who's going to be turned into a real character. I'm not exactly sure how the game determines which character "owns" items (whether it's by name or some internal ID code), so I'm not sure whether renaming a character could make items disappear.

I seriously doubt even zeni developers knows :worried:
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    baratron wrote: »
    I seriously doubt even zeni developers knows :worried:
    agree.gif
    Options
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It only deletes Bound items, so not recipes etc that can be traded...
    I lost, among other things, a 5000 crown store motif book....!

why the heck....? I mean why wasn't it used already? they're bound, why would you put that anywhere but bank/char inventory. :(
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first thing I did when I logged on last night was to buy 4 of the big chests, and then I stashed all of my currently unused gold bound gear in them divided by light/medium/heavy/weapons. I figured that would be an easy way to de-clutter some inventory and have useful items available to multiple toons quickly.

Today, I am reading the forums and absolutely dreading logging in when I get home. I havent deleted a character, but still...
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first thing I did when I logged on last night was to buy 4 of the big chests, and then I stashed all of my currently unused gold bound gear in them divided by light/medium/heavy/weapons. I figured that would be an easy way to de-clutter some inventory and have useful items available to multiple toons quickly.
    Today, I am reading the forums and absolutely dreading logging in when I get home. I havent deleted a character, but still...
    For what it's worth, i never ever use any new ESO "feature" until a good week after its launch.

I've been here since early beta and ZOS was already notorious for screwing up new patches long before the game even went live.

And yes, ignoring PTS feedback and pushing out known bugs has also been part of the game since day one ...
    dry.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on February 13, 2018 9:19PM
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need to keep this thread going until someone from ZOS let's us know they are working on resolving this problem. Surely they've seen this thread and yet have not once acknowledged that they're even looking into it.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need to keep this thread going until someone from ZOS let's us know they are working on resolving this problem. Surely they've seen this thread and yet have not once acknowledged that they're even looking into it.

Wasn’t there a quote earlier in the thread from @ZOS_GinaBruno acknowledging it on the pts and saying they hoped to have a fix for it by the first patch after launch?

Im to lazy to go look it up. You don’t get to be my size by doing stuff.
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn’t there a quote earlier in the thread from @ZOS_GinaBruno acknowledging it on the pts and saying they hoped to have a fix for it by the first patch after launch?

I am not sure, but I do know that as of launch, it has not been acknowledged as still being a problem, even after four pages here of reports. So if there was supposedly a fix, it didn't work.
    Options
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure, but I do know that as of launch, it has not been acknowledged as still being a problem, even after four pages here of reports. So if there was supposedly a fix, it didn't work.

zn9el.png
    Direct Link

Dev Tracker

It wasn't acknowledged in the PTS forums afaik, it was only publicly reported a few days before the patch was due to release. Not a large turnaround time for them.
    Edited by Erraln on February 13, 2018 10:34PM
    Options
  • Snowfaeriewings
    Snowfaeriewings
    ✭✭✭
    Well my character was restored.. SOME of my items are back but i found after searching my gear for 2 hours a lot of items still missing.. and I get this from support.. it is now labeled as unresolved.

We will conduct a thorough investigation into this and will get back to you when we have more information by responding this email.

Who knows.... sigh
    Options
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few hrs ago I got a response from customer support and they wanted the name of the character and whatever stuff I could remember was on her. So when I logged back on my deleted character was back and her things were back in the chest.
    Options
  • Snowfaeriewings
    Snowfaeriewings
    ✭✭✭
    A few hrs ago I got a response from customer support and they wanted the name of the character and whatever stuff I could remember was on her. So when I logged back on my deleted character was back and her things were back in the chest.

I am glad yours is fixed
    Options
  • preedb16_ESO2
    preedb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »

It only deletes Bound items, so not recipes etc that can be traded...
    I lost, among other things, a 5000 crown store motif book....!

why the heck....? I mean why wasn't it used already? they're bound, why would you put that anywhere but bank/char inventory. :(

I wasnt on my crafter when I bought it and happened to be in my tiny closet quest house..
    Options
  • Messy1
    Messy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno sorry for the summons but are the team aware of this still being a problem from PTS?

Hello, I bought all the storage for my house (not with crowns =) ) Is there a fix in sight? I am very hesitant to put anything in my chests. My setup is sweet and looks nice and organized though !
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay let me ask everyone this.

Did at any point ZOS claim that the Housing Chests would act exactly like another personal Bank? Sounds like everyone is getting angry over making a mass misunderstanding of how things worked.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
This discussion has been closed.