The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Server Lag and Random Disconnects

akredon_ESO
akredon_ESO
✭✭✭✭
I know i just made a post on the Main page about this but didn't garner to much attention.
I am trying to Troubleshoot my Low ping lag that i have been experiencing.
Currently when ever i start doing something that is instance based or heavy with combat the game starts to lag.
My Ms is showing me anywhere between 88 to 200. it then Spikes to 999+ and then instantly goes back down other times i can have a lag issue and my ping never changes(stays at 88-200).
i am not using a router i have a 500mbps connection And my speed tests come back all good. I have ran Trace routes and they come back with no valuable information.

ESO is the only game that is causing me this issue. I have even ran a few speed tests too Dallas (supposedly that is where the data center is at from the googling i did) and im at 300 mbps there.
I do not understand where this lag is coming from or if it is an in game issue. I spoken to a few people and they have been having the exact same thing but that could be connection i do not know. I work for my own ISP so if need to do more research on that end i can but at this point its getting where i think this is an In game issue that only certain players may be affected by.
Any help would be useful. Also i have ran a repair to see if that would help but didn't do much of anything

• Hixtory
    Hixtory
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same problem, it just started happening around last days of 2017 and this month. The game is unplayable in group instances (trials, dungeons), but not particularly in battlegrounds.

I have done the same, disabled all addon, added exception to firewall, and ran ping tests to see if my connection is losing packages, but nothing.

I don't have 500MB but I do have what seems to be more than enough, 120MB (which is like the best in my country).

In random areas or doing stuff like dailies I get spikes from 160/170 to 460/680 that are very random, but like I said in group instances it goes to 999+ right away.

Hope someone from ZOS let us know what might be the issue or what they need from us to check what might be wrong

Oh I forgot, I do play other online games and connection is always fine.
  • akredon_ESO
    akredon_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah getting more people involved with this so things can be investigated would be great.
    and your are 100% correct last few days of 2017 into 2018 this started. December i had no issues at all and most of January this has been an on going problem.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a disconnect last night, first in a long time. A few weeks ago, there was one evening where it happened a few times, but that was isolated.

Now, one thing to try is, look at your addons. Ones like Master Merchant and Harvest Map and Lore Books and anything else memory intensive can bring group performance to it's knees, even if network performance is running good. There is even an addon that lets you set up addon profiles for quicker switching. One thing I have learned is I can't run Master Merchant when doing most group activities.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• akredon_ESO
    akredon_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Computer FPS performance isnt the issue. i run pretty consistantly 30-60 fps depending on the location.
    This is network and server related, unless some other addon is Drawing a lot of bandwidth somehow ( which i very much doubt because the spikes are so random). The big thing is the LAG spikes and disconnects are really only happens during major skill usage. I dueled in Deshaan the other night and i had a few *** ups with the lag but not like how i get in other locations like VMA. either the instance server is having a issue with receiving data or they have another issue going on entirely. But thanks for the information im all ears to anyone having ideas on what the causation is
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this happens to me also. and severly in the past week.
    i have tried it from home- and from a gaming cafe to be sure- same problems - which are whenever i enter an instance with alot of players- i.e. pvp, a trial- the ping plummets from 250 to 999+ - making the game unplayable. if im in cyrodil and i get kicked- i cant even re-enter the populated instances.

its fine so far in maelstrom arena, or if i run around getting shards and fishing. which is all im limited to doing atm. from the gaming cafe- this is the ONLY game suffering this issue. dozens of people around me playing their games - enjoying their games- except for me. and im paying 15 bucks a months for this. im more than frustrated at this point. it sucks organising a raid ro a trial- and to be the one that keeps getting connection issues.
    i play out of sydney australia btw. a year ago performance was fine- but its gotten progressively worse to this now.
  • akredon_ESO
    akredon_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am going to do some digging to see where the information is going and why this issue is happening. since you are on the other side of the pond that would be a bit tricky to troubleshoot because i know most Aussies tend to have Higher latency then someone in the states.

But again you are having similar server side related issues as well. soooo if i can provide that ESO is getting a packet loss of some sort going to their data center i may be able to provide them information on whats happening.

time to test my googlefu :grin:
  • ajcorbell
    ajcorbell
    ✭✭✭
    Just want to chime in here; I've had near perfect performance for the last 6 months and this last fortnight I'm getting 999+ latency spikes and disconnects daily.
  • akredon_ESO
    akredon_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ajcorbell, Thanks for the info dude.

Also Just to put a lil update here,

I am playing around with Pingplotter to see if i can get some Direction To ZOS to look and see if they can find out what the issue is. When i get home, i will be posting pictures of it. So far looks like on some of the Hops to the server are having packet loss. So There is something going on between here to their servers in Dallas (if they are in dallas, all the info i have researched states that is where the data center is)

thanks for all the info everyone keeps providing
    the more we get to respond the more we maybe to get someone to look into it. Random intermittent issues are the worse to troubleshoot so everyone detailing there issues helps tremendously

Thanks

• Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I started playing I had average 80-100 latency and never got bumped off. For a little over a month now it's constant lag spiked averaging 350-999+, and I mean like every five minutes or so for 10-20 seconds. My average latency now is 140-190. Also I get bumped off several times a night. One minute it's fine and the next I'm looking at a screenshot, then the error pops up that states the game has stopped working.

I've run repair, I reinstalled the game, I've turned off all addons... nada. It's still doing it. And I live like 2 hours away from the NA megaserver too.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • akredon_ESO
    akredon_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    @DjinnRa , Do you have issues with any other games ? or is it just ESO that is lagging like that ?
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ajcorbell, Thanks for the info dude.

Also Just to put a lil update here,

I am playing around with Pingplotter to see if i can get some Direction To ZOS to look and see if they can find out what the issue is. When i get home, i will be posting pictures of it. So far looks like on some of the Hops to the server are having packet loss. So There is something going on between here to their servers in Dallas (if they are in dallas, all the info i have researched states that is where the data center is)

thanks for all the info everyone keeps providing
    the more we get to respond the more we maybe to get someone to look into it. Random intermittent issues are the worse to troubleshoot so everyone detailing there issues helps tremendously

Thanks

About 4 months ago some forum-goers did the same type of investigation and arrived at a similar conclusion: some node (att I think) was dropping packets causing a lot of re-transmits to occur. This explains why some people see the issue, and some don't: if your route goes through that node then you're screwed. I never heard of zos actually stepping up to resolve the issue, or even publicly discuss it.

Some users claimed more consistent results using a VPN with exit point in Dallas - ping is worse (of course), but having worse, consistent ping is better than having huge latency spikes in combat.

The last month (especially last 2 weeks) this has gotten worse so I'm gonna try the VPN thing today. This morning I quit in disgust because I couldn't even engage in combat without ridiculous lagging.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Having same issues PC NA, playing from England. Same time frame as reported above as well. Other MMOs in US servers are fine.
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in Chicago and connect using Comcast. My route takes me to NY then Ashburn, where it gets to Akamai. Somehow from there I must be getting down to TX, but my traceroute is only showing one hop from akamai to the game server I'm connecting.