Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Templar help for a less than casual gamer.

Hikog213
Hikog213
Soul Shriven
Hello,

As written in topic title i am a less than casual player which means i am pretty noob and donnow much about the game.
The thing is i like Templar a lot and my question is:
Is there a combination of crafted sets that can make a templar adequate for both pve and pvp so i can enjoy the game even by logging 2-3 times per week?

I have the crafting masteries and its easier for me to craft something while farming for gear isnt in my to-do list.

Thank you in advance for any answers.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What level are you? Do you prefer stamina or magicka playstyle? I can only speak for PVE, what type of content do you like doing there? Solo, overland, questing, group content, dungeons, normal, vet, trials, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, etc.?
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want a casual, all crafted magicka templar setup:

5x Julianos on your armor.

Seducers on your remaining armor pieces and whatever weapons you like to use. Slot at least one staff (destro or resto) so you can heavy attack for magicka return. DW and Sword and board are also often used by templars.

Pick up a 3piece jewelry set at some point--easiest to just join a dolmen group and run a few dozen dolmens in a zone and take your 3 highest quality magicka setpieces and equip them.

Use all magicka damage skills. Usually Puncturing Sweep as a spammable skill and Entropy (mages guild skill) as a critical buff, with other DoTs as needed.

That setup right there will tear through all overworld/questing content, normal dungeons, and most vet dungeons (with competent group).
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Hikog213
    Hikog213
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the answers so far.
    To be honest i prefer Stamina but if magicka is the only way i may have to conform to it.

Atm i am using 2H/2H and sometimes 2H/Duals.
    I am questing and exploring usually but i'd like to be able sometimes to join group content or pvps.
    I dont expect to be great but at least to enjoy the game.
    Last time i tried to visit Cyrodill i died in less than 5 seconds (maybe 3 !)
    At the otherhand in PVE i can kill 10-15 or more mobs at once with ease since i self buff with all shields and templar skills and then i am spamming Brawler and jabs.

I know what i ask is maybe noobish and silly but i hope there is some gear combination that gives some sustain and decent damage no matter the content (pvp , pve, dungeons etc)

p.s I am 50 lvl , CP 240 , Orc currently wearing a combination of Hunding's rage, Kvatch Gladiator's and Sword Singers.
    20k HP , 27k Stamina , 10k Magicka , 2300 Weapon Damage , 53% critical , 29 k spell resistance ,27k Physical, (all with full buffs and consumables)
    Edited by Hikog213 on February 3, 2018 7:34AM
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay great, with CP240 you're past the gear cap, so you can go ahead and create/farm gear for actual builds. :)

As you noticed, overland/questing content is easy enough that you can go with any "build" you like. Continue playing as you want there, since you don't seem to have any trouble.

For group content (I only do PvE), you could use Alcast's page and builds as a starting point and source of hints which weapons and skills to use.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-templar-build-pve/
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-templar-build-pve/

For stamina group PvE, you generally want Dual Wield/Bow or Two-Hander/Bow. The combination you listed, 2H/2H and 2H/DW, will severely impact your DPS.

Both magicka and stamina templar are good in group PvE. Not top-notch, but since that's not what you're going for, you're going to be fine. Next patch, some currently broken damage calculation especially for magicka templar is going to be fixed, so this is the right time to get into magplar again. :)

I leveled up both a stamplar and magplar during the last double XP event. Skill-wise I mostly follow Alcast's builds. Gear-wise I use the rather standard Julianos/Moondancer/Skoria on my magplar (you can also use Infallible Aether or Willpower instead of Moondancer), and Hundings/Spriggan/Velidreth on my stampar. Good alternatives for Velidreth - if you don't want to farm vet Cradle of Shadows - are Kra'gh, Selene and Stormfist.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Templar is fine. The biggest issue is that for PvP you want impenatrable trait gear and that’s useless in PvE because enemies don’t do any crit damage, your really want all divines. You’re gonna have to get two gear sets and use an addon like swaps to go between them. In PvE you can get by with the good old dw and bow set up with 5 pc spriggans and 5 piece hundings rage, and then two remaining monster pieces or whatever. The go to Stamplar setup in PvP is ravager, which can be purchased for fairly cheap, and bone pirates for sustain. You could also use hundings rage for PvP of course, but you’ll need it in impen. There aren’t really many good sustain sets that are craftable, especially not for stamina. When you start out in PvP you’ll probably want around 1.8-2k stamina recovery if not more. Bone pirates is really the only way to achieve this and still have good damage stats. Some people are run impregnable on stamplar, you can still manage about 1.6k unbuffed stam recovery this way.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    Okay great, with CP240 you're past the gear cap, so you can go ahead and create/farm gear for actual builds. :)

As you noticed, overland/questing content is easy enough that you can go with any "build" you like. Continue playing as you want there, since you don't seem to have any trouble.

For group content (I only do PvE), you could use Alcast's page and builds as a starting point and source of hints which weapons and skills to use.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-templar-build-pve/
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-templar-build-pve/

For stamina group PvE, you generally want Dual Wield/Bow or Two-Hander/Bow. The combination you listed, 2H/2H and 2H/DW, will severely impact your DPS.

Both magicka and stamina templar are good in group PvE. Not top-notch, but since that's not what you're going for, you're going to be fine. Next patch, some currently broken damage calculation especially for magicka templar is going to be fixed, so this is the right time to get into magplar again. :)

I leveled up both a stamplar and magplar during the last double XP event. Skill-wise I mostly follow Alcast's builds. Gear-wise I use the rather standard Julianos/Moondancer/Skoria on my magplar (you can also use Infallible Aether or Willpower instead of Moondancer), and Hundings/Spriggan/Velidreth on my stampar. Good alternatives for Velidreth - if you don't want to farm vet Cradle of Shadows - are Kra'gh, Selene and Stormfist.
    No trials set he is causal. He want one crafted an an overland at least in the start, then I would go for one of the easy dungeon monster sets.

As for PvP you would want inpregnable armor, this helps but its no must, I have done plenty of PvP without. In an huge part its an gold issue.
    I would go for the no cp campaign if clueless, its far more causal.
    If stamina you also need vigor for healing and caltrops for AoE, its also the best way to get transmute crystals for changing traits.
    Join groups it help a lot, better join an social pvp guild.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    No trials set he is causal. He want one crafted an an overland at least in the start, then I would go for one of the easy dungeon monster sets.

That's why I mentioned Spriggan and Willpower. :)

Infallible Aether is easy to farm though, even if it's from a trial. It drops in all three Craglorn trials on Normal, and running with a random pickup group is as easy as running dungeons. He said he can "kill 15 mobs in PVE easily", then he can do normal trials too. :) And there's people asking in zone chat for DDs for normal Craglorn trials regularly.

Then again, it's not necessary. The difference between Aether and Willpower won't matter for casual gaming.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Hikog213
    Hikog213
    Soul Shriven
    Wow , guys really thx for all the answers.
    Tbh i didnt expect so soon that i would get so many answers.
    If i got it all right, It seems so far that is almost mandatory to create 2 sets , 1 for PVP and 1 for PVE, so i can start with the easier "versions" and slowly build (which in my case means questing and experiencing the rpg side of the game) by gathering pieces or gold to buy them.

Being a casual for me means that i wont farm for something again and again or join any top notch group content (with specific role requirement and playstyles). But surely i can join a pvp guild or some random pve group (pickup group as been said) cause seems like you cant advance without these.

• DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 23, 2018 2:14AM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m writing this post assuming you want to stay a stamplar. You like it...let’s go with it. I’m going to pull up my stamplar, then suggest a starter setup for a casual player. This is going to get you to a baseline and you can make adjustments from there.

General character adjustments

Attributes: put them all into stam. If you mixed them, just go recast them. You can fine-tune your health with enchantments and you don’t need magic here.

Champion Points (300 config)

This configuration is for casual play. It focuses on stacking points in the passive you will be using most. I move away from a trial setup here a bit...in casual play you don’t break free as much, so it’s less important.

Green: 75 mooncalf, 15 tenacity, 5 arcanist, 5 healthy.

Why? This is all about recovery, which is especially vital in PvP. As you earn your next hundred CPs you can branch out a bit, but focus on recovery first.

Red: 30 ironclad, 35 hardy, 35 elemental defend

Why? These are your core defensive passives, and at max cp you’re going to keep pumping into these. You’ll bring in some other passives depending on your play style, but most red points go into these so keep on spending here.

Blue: 45 mighty, 20 precise strike, 35 thaumaturge.

Why? Here you have more flexibility depending on how you use your skills. Mighty is a focus because it affect most of your damage skills. Thaumaturge will boost your jabs, so it’s a powerful passive for you. Then precise boosts your crits. As you continue to earn CPs you can add some in piercing.

Gear farm

The era of farming is OVER!

Ok, not entirely, but kinda. Because you can now transmute items, you don’t have to run a dungeon 800 times for a desirable trait. Even playing casually, you’ll get enough transmute stones in PvP to change traits on your gear. So don’t fear doing some casual trial runs if you see a set you really want.

That said, let’s get you a setup that is easy to obtain and will be within 2% of BiS gear performance.

Base set: Hundings rage. It’s an all-around top performer for stamina, and especially helps a Templar with dps, where they’re a bit weak. Make your weapons Hundings, because then you can control the trait. Also, weapons are good to make gold, and Hundings is a really versatile set where you’ll get a lot of use out of gold gear. Nirnhoned is best for the front dagger/sword, but you can go sharp or precise and be just fine.

Your base set is where you can bring in second pieces if you need heavy or impen for PvP. The mats are pretty dang cheap, so make three pieces in divines for pve, then impen for PvP.

Secondary set: spriggans. This is easy to farm in Bangkorai. Feel free to start with blue (or even green) jewelry. It’s not that big a step up to purple...worth it if you like the set and stick with it, but not necessary.

Alternative: Briarheart. I just happen to love this set. It’s a bit of a pain to farm...I’d recommend farming motifs or raw mats for gold tempers, selling those, then buying the gear.

Monster helm: if you hate farming vet dungeons, just wait for the weekend golden to carry a helm then farm the shoulders. Transmute means you don’t get dinged for buying the helms any more! Any stamina dps helm set works, but stormfist and velidreth are top performers for templars.

Other things to work on

These are little side projects you can undertake to get the most out of your character...since you say you’re pretty noob.

If you haven’t, work fighters guild to ten. Close dolmens...it won’t take long. The ultimate, flawless dawnbreaker, helps raise your damage significantly.

Slooooowly work your undaunted. This only levels by running dailies from the undaunted enclave. It takes for-flipping-ever, but there are some good passives that unlock at levels 7, 8 and 9. It’s 200 undaunted points per level. Normal dailies reward 10, vet is 20. When you’re on your own, run Bogrul’s delve daily. It’s worth 5 points...and they’re super fast.

Work legerdemain to 16. This allows you to spend and reduce your sneak cost by 40%...very helpful in PvP. To do this fast, every once in a while empty your inventory then go to the ships in daggerfall. There are few npcs...rob everything. Fence it all. It’ll take a bit, but it’s a quick grind if you do it this way. If you want to go even faster, spend one point in trafficker to allow 240 fence transactions per day, instead of 100.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • Hikog213
    Hikog213
    Soul Shriven
    davey1107 wrote: »
    I’m writing this post assuming you want to stay a stamplar. You like it...let’s go with it. I’m going to pull up my stamplar, then suggest a starter setup for a casual player. This is going to get you to a baseline and you can make adjustments from there.

General character adjustments

Attributes: put them all into stam. If you mixed them, just go recast them. You can fine-tune your health with enchantments and you don’t need magic here.

Champion Points (300 config)

This configuration is for casual play. It focuses on stacking points in the passive you will be using most. I move away from a trial setup here a bit...in casual play you don’t break free as much, so it’s less important.

Green: 75 mooncalf, 15 tenacity, 5 arcanist, 5 healthy.

Why? This is all about recovery, which is especially vital in PvP. As you earn your next hundred CPs you can branch out a bit, but focus on recovery first.

Red: 30 ironclad, 35 hardy, 35 elemental defend

Why? These are your core defensive passives, and at max cp you’re going to keep pumping into these. You’ll bring in some other passives depending on your play style, but most red points go into these so keep on spending here.

Blue: 45 mighty, 20 precise strike, 35 thaumaturge.

Why? Here you have more flexibility depending on how you use your skills. Mighty is a focus because it affect most of your damage skills. Thaumaturge will boost your jabs, so it’s a powerful passive for you. Then precise boosts your crits. As you continue to earn CPs you can add some in piercing.

Gear farm

The era of farming is OVER!

Ok, not entirely, but kinda. Because you can now transmute items, you don’t have to run a dungeon 800 times for a desirable trait. Even playing casually, you’ll get enough transmute stones in PvP to change traits on your gear. So don’t fear doing some casual trial runs if you see a set you really want.

That said, let’s get you a setup that is easy to obtain and will be within 2% of BiS gear performance.

Base set: Hundings rage. It’s an all-around top performer for stamina, and especially helps a Templar with dps, where they’re a bit weak. Make your weapons Hundings, because then you can control the trait. Also, weapons are good to make gold, and Hundings is a really versatile set where you’ll get a lot of use out of gold gear. Nirnhoned is best for the front dagger/sword, but you can go sharp or precise and be just fine.

Your base set is where you can bring in second pieces if you need heavy or impen for PvP. The mats are pretty dang cheap, so make three pieces in divines for pve, then impen for PvP.

Secondary set: spriggans. This is easy to farm in Bangkorai. Feel free to start with blue (or even green) jewelry. It’s not that big a step up to purple...worth it if you like the set and stick with it, but not necessary.

Alternative: Briarheart. I just happen to love this set. It’s a bit of a pain to farm...I’d recommend farming motifs or raw mats for gold tempers, selling those, then buying the gear.

Monster helm: if you hate farming vet dungeons, just wait for the weekend golden to carry a helm then farm the shoulders. Transmute means you don’t get dinged for buying the helms any more! Any stamina dps helm set works, but stormfist and velidreth are top performers for templars.

Other things to work on

These are little side projects you can undertake to get the most out of your character...since you say you’re pretty noob.

If you haven’t, work fighters guild to ten. Close dolmens...it won’t take long. The ultimate, flawless dawnbreaker, helps raise your damage significantly.

Slooooowly work your undaunted. This only levels by running dailies from the undaunted enclave. It takes for-flipping-ever, but there are some good passives that unlock at levels 7, 8 and 9. It’s 200 undaunted points per level. Normal dailies reward 10, vet is 20. When you’re on your own, run Bogrul’s delve daily. It’s worth 5 points...and they’re super fast.

Work legerdemain to 16. This allows you to spend and reduce your sneak cost by 40%...very helpful in PvP. To do this fast, every once in a while empty your inventory then go to the ships in daggerfall. There are few npcs...rob everything. Fence it all. It’ll take a bit, but it’s a quick grind if you do it this way. If you want to go even faster, spend one point in trafficker to allow 240 fence transactions per day, instead of 100.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

wow...starting right away!
    thx for so many details..!!!