The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

XBOX One X Performance Issues

KafeenRush
KafeenRush
Soul Shriven
I was wondering if there will be a graphics settings option like the PS4 Pro received to be able to get a better frame rate. A "less eye candy at 4K" option to get closer to the advertised 30 FPS we should be getting.

As it stands, with the options currently enabled on the XBOX One X version of ESO, I am getting little more than a slideshow in many areas. Cyrodiil is likely unplayable. I am coming from a PS4 Pro account where the 1080p Enhanced option gets a solid capped 30 FPS and the pseudo 4K gets slightly less at 25-30. The One X's frame rate is worse than the PS4's 4K performance. A bit disheartening to say the least.

Anyway, I'd love to know what the plans are so I can decide whether or not to revert back to my ESO account on the PS4 for a better experience. Thanks!
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because the game has a set FPS cap of 30

The Xbox one x can run full ultra-ish settings in 4k with no issues unlike the PS4 pro. Trust me the FPS are smoother with all the bells and whistles.
    They also said of eso Live there won’t be a higher FPS option because they don’t want one console to give an advantage over the othe (Xbox one and Xbox one s vs Xbox one x)
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • KafeenRush
    KafeenRush
    Soul Shriven
    You misunderstand me. I am not asking for higher than 30 FPS, I am asking for 30 FPS. The One X is currently performing under the PS4 Pro's 1080p Enhanced AND their 4K which get a solid 30 and ~25-30 respectively.

As I'm able to play the PS4 Pro & One X back to back, it is easy to see the One X is struggling in comparison. The FPS is not smoother with all the bells and whistles. It needs optimizing or to have the settings toned down.

Are you going off Microsoft's claims and have not played ESO on a One X maybe? Because your description does not line up with reality unfortunately.
    Edited by KafeenRush on November 15, 2017 6:57PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KafeenRush wrote: »
    You misunderstand me. I am not asking for higher than 30 FPS, I am asking for 30 FPS. The One X is currently performing under the PS4 Pro's 1080p Enhanced AND their 4K which get a solid 30 and ~25-30 respectively.

As I'm able to play the PS4 Pro & One X back to back, it is easy to see the One X is struggling in comparison. The FPS is not smoother with all the bells and whistles. It needs optimizing or to have the settings toned down.

I'll assuming you are quoting Microsoft's claims and have not actually played ESO on a One X? Because your description does not line up with reality unfortunately.

Yes I misunderstood you.
    Where exactly is the game under 30 FPS ?
    What method are you using to determine the actual FPS during gameplay?

Actually I own the Scorpio edition as on release night and I’ve played on PC using a gaming PC since closed beta. Please don’t be rude I’m trying to help you.

Other than PvP and Trials they just explained that the issues aren’t video card and video settings related on ESO Live so having other modes wouldn’t help per ZOS not Microsoft.

My personal experiences have been that all areas in terms of FPS are much better on the Xbox one x compared to my Xbox one and Xbox one s. The issues seem to be more on ZOS’ side after listening to eso Live and reading the guests comments on the forums in terms of FPS

Suggestion:
    -Do not use the instant-on feature for your xbox (any version)
    -Either run the game exclusively on the internal Xbox one x HD or buy an external SSD but do not use any other external HD for gameplay as it can contribute to other issues overall, non-game specific
    -FPS can also be a result of the xbox one settings and how it relates to your TV, Reciever, etc.

*Make sure your settings are correct on the Xbox one x meaning HDMI - auto, and select the highest bit in the menu don’t leave it at the lower default.
    -If you'r TV is 1080p, is it 240Htz or 120Htz? (Are you running Game mode on the TV or another mode)
    -If your TV is 4k with HDR, is it 240 Htz and also in game mode?

And depending upon your ISP hardware WiFi may work better than being wired.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on November 15, 2017 3:29PM
  • KafeenRush
    KafeenRush
    Soul Shriven
    You're comparing the One X to the older XBOX systems so of course you'll see an improvement there :p. I am comparing the One X to the PS4 Pro which does get a solid 30 FPS and the difference is quite apparent. The Scorpio has a lower frame rate than the cheaper, less powerful PS4 Pro and it needs a performance patch to reduce settings a bit.

An SSD has no impact on FPS nor does the internet connection. The XBOX One X's settings are too high for the console's hardware. As ESO is mostly a CPU demanding game, and the One X has nearly the same one as last generations, it is no wonder.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So... I can confirm that the One X has frame rate issues with this game. Whenever I am in a crowded city or a dungeon/trial where lots of skills are being used... i get drops. I am going to try disabling the instant-on to see if that helps as suggested above. Currently, my One X has ONLY ESO installed on it's internal drive. All other games are on a non-SSD external. I am planning on buying an SSD soon to put ESO on to see if it helps. Currently however, the game feels like it is "shuttering" for lack of a better word, in many areas, and in ALL areas when i try to ride at max-speed on my mount after casting rapid maneuver. Yeah the textures and colors and stuff look absolutely fantastic but there are frame-rate issues. I've seen others post on here that they do not have this problem so I'm willing to accept that it's something to do with how the Xbox is interacting with my TV, but currently, I have to say I am not impressed with how this runs on the One X. I plan on purchasing a 2nd 4k tv for the house sometime soon and then I will be able to test this on a whole new TV. If the issue persists, I really think the only solution is to make the game run at 60 FPS. The current excuse as to why it does not is actually such a joke.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're comparing the One X to the older XBOX systems so of course you'll see an improvement there :p. I am comparing the One X to the PS4 Pro which does get a solid 30 FPS and the difference is quite apparent. The Scorpio has a lower frame rate than the cheaper, less powerful PS4 Pro and it needs a performance patch to reduce settings a bit.

An SSD has no impact on FPS nor does the internet connection. The XBOX One X's settings are too high for the console's hardware. As ESO is mostly a CPU demanding game, and the One X has nearly the same one as last generations, it is no wonder.

Trying to get on the same page...

The PS4 Pro is roughly the xbox one graphic settings in 4k or med-high graphic settings in 1080p...and your concern is FPS on the xbox one x which is native 4k rez with ultra settings, right?

We know the PS4 Pro settings are completely different from the xbox one x. They aren't even close to the same and there is only one mode in addition to the sound options being greater (knowing sound is another ZOS issue with this game now) it all matters if your concerns are FPS on the xbox one x.

*According to the ZOS employee staff, the FPS is more of a CPU issue, and ram. The xbox one x has a better CPU, more ram and a faster internal HD but its running the game in almost all ultra settings, this impacts both the CPU and GPU as well as the ram and is also impacted positively or negatively by your HD speed and internet connection.
    *Its also worth considering this - https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4644990/#Comment_4644990

I'm offering these as they provide a better experience on both the xbox one s and xbox one x from actual experience. Most of which was recommendations from ZOS support.

I'm just offering help, if you don't want consider any of it....shrug...but depending on your settings and hardware, it actually does matter on the xbox one x. I don't have the PS4 Pro but I have to keep asking....How are you determining the actual FPS on each? What device are you using to track it? Where exactly are you in the game while tracking the FPS?

It sounds like its based on your feelings and that isn't an accurate way to track it because there are substantial differences in what being produced on the xbox one x vs the ps4 pro so you're eye cannot truly determine actual FPS.

I'm not saying there isn't a difference but I'm trying to understand what frame of reference you're making and how you've arrived there.
    it could be something as simple as your game DVR settings, or if you're passing the HDMI via a receiver with processing or not. That's why I keep asking a lot of questions as it all matters. TV, TV settings, HDI set up, wifi or wired, external/internal HD, etc.....

Edited by NewBlacksmurf on November 15, 2017 5:53PM
  • KafeenRush
    KafeenRush
    Soul Shriven
    I am basing FPS on the fact the PS4 Pro is capped at 30 FPS in 1080p Enhanced. It feels fluid when panning, sprinting, etc. It's 4K setting is close but has noticeable FPS loss in large open areas where draw distance is being utilized more. When you're dealing with a low FPS already (30 is quite low for gaming) every slight decrease becomes more and more noticeable. So when you dip below about 20, it is obvious.

Yes, the PS4 Pro has lower graphics settings when in 4K and that is my point. Their version is appropriately tuned to maintain roughly 30 FPS while playing. The Xbox One X's settings, while visually more impressive, offers a lower quality gaming experience because they have not yet balanced the graphics fidelity with FPS performance. My OP is questioning when, if ever, they will offer a lower graphics setting or tone down the bells & whistles enough to maintain the advertised FPS level. As it stands right now, the PS4 Pro offers the superior ESO experience on console.

My equipment and settings aren't the problem. This one game on this one console is the only one having a performance issue. My Samsung KS8000 55 running in Game Mode is not the issue. I am wired and on fiber (roughly 950 mbps). But again, internet speed does not affect FPS. Lag != FPS. I do appreciate your attempting to help me and I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk. Not my intention at all.
    Edited by KafeenRush on November 15, 2017 7:02PM
  • NeuroAutonomy
    NeuroAutonomy
    ✭✭
    I just recieved my x1x yesterday and so far I have seen a decline in performance.

Not even mentioning the loading screens currently plagueing all playforms, the game was a laggy mess for me. I would dc and then still be able to run around for long periods of time while everything was frozen and i could cast some abilities but not others.

I also experienced alot of rubberbanding and freezing that I was definitly not experiencing on my og xbox 1. I'm using the same internet, tv and ssd, the only thing that has changed is the x1x.
    Edited by NeuroAutonomy on November 15, 2017 6:33PM
    XB1 NA
    Paradøx- Council
    Ye Olde Pabst Brewery- Brewer
    Rinon Shadowleaf | Altmer | Sorcerer
    Sherlock Heals | Breton | Templar | Healer Supreme
    Rifkyn Shadowleaf | Altmer | Nightblade
    Betty Whips | Dunmer | Dragon Knight
    Ja'ran Dru-Jo | Khajiit | Nightblade
    Sun Eater Joe | Redguard | Templar
    Bobby Spears | Dunmer | Templar
    Crit Hemsworth | Wood Elf | Nightblade
    Oprah Windfrey | Redguard | Sorcerer
    Druid Barrymore | ? | Warden
    Quentin Flarentino | Altmer | Templar
    |vMA • vDSA • vAA HM • vHRC HM • vSO HM • vMOL |
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am basing FPS on the fact the PS4 Pro is capped at 30 FPS in 1080p Enhanced. It feels fluid when panning, sprinting, etc. It's 4K setting is close but has noticeable FPS loss in large open areas where draw distance is being utilized more. When you're dealing with a low FPS already (30 is quite low for gaming) every slight decrease becomes more and more noticeable. So when you dip below about 20, it is obvious.

Yes, the PS4 Pro has lower graphics settings when in 4K and that is my point. Their version is appropriately tuned to maintain roughly 30 FPS while playing. The Xbox One X's settings, while visually more impressive, offers a lower quality gaming experience because they have not yet balanced the graphics fidelity with FPS performance. My OP is questioning when, if ever, they will offer a lower graphics setting or tone down the bells & whistles enough to maintain the advertised FPS level. As it stands right now, the PS4 Pro offers the superior ESO experience on console.

My equipment and settings aren't the problem. This one game on this one console is the only one having a performance issue. My Samsung KS8000 55 running in Game Mode is not the issue. I am wired and on fiber (roughly 950 mbps). But again, internet speed does not affect FPS. Lag != FPS. I do appreciate your attempting to help me and I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk. Not my intention at all.

I think you have to completely separate PS4 Pro from the xbox one x....I don't know if you have this on PC but the settings for xbox one x are waaay higher than the ps4 pro and they've added an increased draw distance, so while I'm not seeing any FPS drops on normal gameplay and better FPS in towns and dungeons I will detail further my setup.

And I will say that maybe my experience differs due to how the xbox one x runs through my AVR and then to my TV. I may remove the AVR and test next week to see if it matters. I would agree that playing at 20 FPS or lower is a less than great experience but I'd argue that I'm seeing 29 to 30 FPS all the time other than racing on a mount through hundreds of ppl in Cyrodil or upon passing through Auridon town square which seems to be battle royale for dueling this week.

-Looks like your internet is like mine so you're good there.
    -Settings wise, I don't use nameplates, NPC names, text chat is also closed, I turn off the health bars and only use SCT and the debuffs everything else is on vanilla settings or default.

-Xbox One X settings: I'm in energy save mode, game DVR is on the highest setting set to record to internal HD not external, I redid all the video settings as the backup did not use the correct settings for the xbox one x. 32 bit, HDR,YCC, etc

-My xbox one x HDMI out goes into a onkyo AVR in one of three HCP2.2 ports and I've turned off all upscaling, features but turned on syncing for sound and video. My TV is LG 65HU7700 and use the HDMI ARC port only.
    I do not use game mode on this as the HDR runs best in vivid HDR mode, but I had to run the advanced set up that xbox guides you through again even tho I had an xbox one s as it produces noticeable differences. In non HDR games I do use game mode but my AVR tells the TV to swap modes so its seemless to me.

-Sound:
    I'm running Bitstream (HDMI),Optical-Bitstream, Dolby Digital/Dobly Atmos (depending on the game)
    -ESO is on my internal HD right now as it runs pretty smooth
    -I'm using wifi on Google Fiber
    -USB ports using external HD and Play n Charge Kit with Elite Controller + Chatpad + Headset, sometimes I have the Thrustmaster HOTAS One plugged in via a USB 3.0 extender but that shouldn't matter

-Your TV

https://youtu.be/dsTHtQ8hI1U

-Noticed you can run the HDMI or the RGB mode. I love the RGB mode on my older TV but my current looks better on HDMI.

I did see this
    -Reading this there is some form of input lag and the users are awaiting a TV update....I saw this and maybe it matters or maybe not. I would assume it would apply to both systems but maybe not...
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on November 15, 2017 9:09PM
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop your settings on the xbox to 2k until they tweak 4k :wink:
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • KafeenRush
    KafeenRush
    Soul Shriven
    I think you have to completely separate PS4 Pro from the xbox one x....I don't know if you have this on PC but the settings for xbox one x are waaay higher than the ps4 pro and they've added an increased draw distance, so while I'm not seeing any FPS drops on normal gameplay and better FPS in towns and dungeons I will detail further my setup.

And I will say that maybe my experience differs due to how the xbox one x runs through my AVR and then to my TV. I may remove the AVR and test next week to see if it matters. I would agree that playing at 20 FPS or lower is a less than great experience but I'd argue that I'm seeing 29 to 30 FPS all the time other than racing on a mount through hundreds of ppl in Cyrodil or upon passing through Auridon town square which seems to be battle royale for dueling this week.

-Looks like your internet is like mine so you're good there.
    -Settings wise, I don't use nameplates, NPC names, text chat is also closed, I turn off the health bars and only use SCT and the debuffs everything else is on vanilla settings or default.

I did see this
    -Reading this there is some form of input lag and the users are awaiting a TV update....I saw this and maybe it matters or maybe not. I would assume it would apply to both systems but maybe not...

You aren't understanding the concept of balancing a game's graphics fidelity for the hardware it is being run on. I am fully aware the settings are higher than the PS4 version. That is the whole point. The settings for the Pro are tuned and in line with the hardware. The One X's version is not. The amount of HDR, SSAO shadow enhancements and increased view distance is simply too much for the One X's hardware. The One X could run at 8K with 2 FPS but that doesn't mean it's a good experience or cannot be compared to a lower-end port that is balanced properly.

Disabling nameplates, NPC names, text chat and health bars is not a viable solution. I'm not wanting to eek out an extra few FPS in the game's current state, I am asking Zenimax if they plan on optimizing their game for the One X's hardware as we are not getting the 30 FPS they advertise. Setting the bad FPS experienced on normal maps aside, participating in a typical battle in Cyrodiil is not feasible.

As for the 29-30 FPS, I really wish you could jump on a Pro and see the difference. 30 is the cap, so the Pro gets no more than that, yet the One X (while admittedly looking better) is a far more choppy experience. Comparing it to a computer as you suggest doesn't seem productive as there is no FPS cap and would run far faster than 30 FPS. But again, saying that the One X has better graphics isn't an answer. It is the reason that the version runs poorly. :p

Lastly, input lag, internet speeds, using an SSD, etc, have no impact on FPS once you are in the game. This issue literally has one culprit: The graphics settings are not balanced with the hardware.
    Edited by KafeenRush on November 17, 2017 12:17AM
  • KafeenRush
    KafeenRush
    Soul Shriven
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    Drop your settings on the xbox to 2k until they tweak 4k :wink:

This is currently the best option and what I am doing, yes. I'm just hoping we see some graphics options/adjustments in the future :D
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @KafeenRush

I actually completely understand and comprehend balancing the game for hardware, but that’s an impossible task for this company.

You assume they are familiar with the Xbox one, Xbox one s and Xbox one x.

For them it’s a PC focus and the only accommodation is what works on console. There have been zero tweaks for PS4 and Xbox one for performance unless it applied to PC. It is what it is....so based on your desires, you’re more suited for PC than either console.

The other factor is they may have a agreement with Sony like many other DeVs that require the PS4 versions to be better in certain aspects so don’t assume it’s not intentional to some degree.

What i am communicating above is there are a lot of things that could impact your experiences. Not all is ZOS .... the FPS specifically, while it may not be as smooth as you’re accustomed to on PS4 pro, the actual FPS on the Xbox one x shouldn’t be consistently around 20 FPS.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on November 17, 2017 4:56PM
  • Khrogo
    Khrogo
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if there will be a graphics settings option like the PS4 Pro received to be able to get a better frame rate. A "less eye candy at 4K" option to get closer to the advertised 30 FPS we should be getting.

As it stands, with the options currently enabled on the XBOX One X version of ESO, I am getting little more than a slideshow in many areas. Cyrodiil is likely unplayable. I am coming from a PS4 Pro account where the 1080p Enhanced option gets a solid capped 30 FPS and the pseudo 4K gets slightly less at 25-30. The One X's frame rate is worse than the PS4's 4K performance. A bit disheartening to say the least.

Anyway, I'd love to know what the plans are so I can decide whether or not to revert back to my ESO account on the PS4 for a better experience. Thanks!

• Shnicklefritz420
    Shnicklefritz420
    Soul Shriven
    I recently purchased a one x and have been experiencing severe lag to the point where the game is unplayable. I do not believe this is a problem with my internet as when I hook up my original Xbox one lag is no longer an issue. I have not had this problem while playing online with other games on the one x and was curious if anyone else is having a similar problem. It is my understanding that other players have experienced similar issues with different games but have not talked to anyone who plays ESO. Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • Surgee
    Surgee
    ✭✭✭✭

The Xbox one x can run full ultra-ish settings in 4k with no issues unlike the PS4 pro. Trust me the FPS are smoother with all the bells and whistles.
    They also said of eso Live there won’t be a higher FPS option because they don’t want one console to give an advantage over the othe (Xbox one and Xbox one s vs Xbox one x)

I would like an option that can run the game at 30 fps on xbox one x because right now it's not happening. My wife has standard xbox i have the x and in cyrodil we both get exactly same crap fps (below 10) in same situations. It's not hardware issue it's a very poor code. I recommend everyone to check out youtube vids of xbox one version from 2 years ago. Massive battles and no fps drops. Something went wrong with the updates and no one cares to try to fix it.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surgee wrote: »

I would like an option that can run the game at 30 fps on xbox one x because right now it's not happening. My wife has standard xbox i have the x and in cyrodil we both get exactly same crap fps (below 10) in same situations. It's not hardware issue it's a very poor code. I recommend everyone to check out youtube vids of xbox one version from 2 years ago. Massive battles and no fps drops. Something went wrong with the updates and no one cares to try to fix it.

2 years ago players were riding around on their white Imperial horse without 690 CP, a bazillion AOE skills and Destro Ults. In a lot of those early on fights half the players were using light attacks as their main attack.

It's the same way on PC when you get in the middle of large zergs, it doesn't matter what your hardware is. The lag was reduced by quite a lot when they disabled CP for a week a while back so the only way they're going to make vast improvements in frame rate is to take away some of the culprits.
  • Surgee
    Surgee
    ✭✭✭✭

2 years ago players were riding around on their white Imperial horse without 690 CP, a bazillion AOE skills and Destro Ults. In a lot of those early on fights half the players were using light attacks as their main attack.

It's the same way on PC when you get in the middle of large zergs, it doesn't matter what your hardware is. The lag was reduced by quite a lot when they disabled CP for a week a while back so the only way they're going to make vast improvements in frame rate is to take away some of the culprits.

I wouldn't mind that. I remember PVP was way more fun without all the CP. If the non-CP campaign wouldn't be totally dead on consoles I'd stay there.
  • Orbital
    Orbital
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind that. I remember PVP was way more fun without all the CP. If the non-CP campaign wouldn't be totally dead on consoles I'd stay there.

destro ult didnt exsist 2 years ago *_*
    Axphykz.
    Tank
    Proud Member Of Vitality
    Spotless Triumph
    Tick Tock Tormentor
    XB1 EU
    PC EU