The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Radical proposal to help hybrids:

DocFrost72
DocFrost72
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Concept: as it is right now, we have seperate values for spell critical and weapon critical. What if we just had a "critical" stat that encompassed the chance to critically strike on any attack that fell within the boundaries of crittable damage (so, not monster helms and oblivion damage ie). Currently, that is how the crit modifier is with every case except champion points (which would remain the same so as to give 'pure' dps a numerical advantage).

Thoughts? Good idea? Terrible idea? Please comment and discuss.
Edited by DocFrost72 on January 31, 2018 2:41PM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A simple buff to Pelinal´s would be a good start. Let Pelinial include spell/weapon critical as well.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mechanical acuity just cant wear with peninals. Sad face.
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    A simple buff to Pelinal´s would be a good start. Let Pelinial include spell/weapon critical as well.

Or soft caps to stats...
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dumbing down the game? No, thank you. SWTOR has tried that and it didn't end too well.

There are other means to buff hybrids, but they won't reach the effectiveness of pure builds without a complete redesign of the game system.
    Examples are:
    -buffing hybrid sets
    -softcaps
    -unlink dmg from max resources
    -remove CP
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dumbing down the game? No, thank you. SWTOR has tried that and it didn't end too well.

There are other means to buff hybrids, but they won't reach the effectiveness of pure builds without a complete redesign of the game system.
    Examples are:
    -buffing hybrid sets
    -softcaps
    -remove CP

Three of your four examples lower everyone's dps, two quite drastically, to help hybrids. I'm not a fan of that.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe that would make sense for PvE, though it wouldn't make them competitive.
    For PvP, you can be competitive without stacking crit, penetration or weapon/spell damage or relying on double bonuses like thief mundus or Molag Kena. The real problem are max stats, which is why hybrids took such a massive hit when softcaps were removed in 1.6. So, if you want to propose something radical to help hybrids, maybe ask to reduce or remove the effects of stat pools on ability scaling or for the reintroduction of some sort of diminishing returns on stat investment.
    CP don't help either of course, but as far as I'm concerned they're bad for PvP in general.

Edit:
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

Examples are:
    -buffing hybrid sets
    -softcaps
    -remove CP

Three of your four examples lower everyone's dps, two quite drastically, to help hybrids. I'm not a fan of that.

Nonsense, in PvP you can adjust the global damage modifier on Battle Spirit and in PvE the health of mobs.
    Edited by ToRelax on January 31, 2018 2:54PM
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Examples are:
    -buffing hybrid sets
    -softcaps
    -remove CP

I haven't said that it's just like "implement X and everything will be great", of course some further rework would be required. That's why I wrote the "complete redesign of the game system" part.
    I didn't even suggested that this should be done in any way. I just pointed out that it would help hybrids, because that is what OP asked for.
    Do you have a solution for his question?

E:
    As for removing the CP system: I think it's the bane of ESO. All it does is increasing the power creep, making the game even harder to balance, divert the PvP community and suck the life out of classes and abilites. Remove it and give classes their power back. Add a different kind of progression to the game.

Unlink dmg from resources: I'm split about this. I'm afraid it would just force people into spending every point into max health. I don't think this would be wise after all.

Softcaps used to be in place. Some people argument that this was a great time to play eso. Can't tell, wasn't around then.
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on January 31, 2018 2:55PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Examples are:
    -buffing hybrid sets
    -softcaps
    -remove CP

I haven't said that it's just like "implement X and everything will be great", of course some further rework would be required. That's why I wrote the "complete redesign of the game system" part.
    I didn't even suggested that this should be done in any way. I just pointed out that it would help hybrids, because that is what OP asked for.
    Do you have a solution for his question?

Yes, fortunately the OP and I are of the same mind. :tongue:

I suppose the reason I would rather redo crit is that it is a small, incremental change towards PvE dps efficiency. I'd rather not rework a lot at once and measure how far hybrid dps rises with each change, so as not to go too far.
    Qbiken wrote: »

Also not a bad idea, especially with the set being craftable.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Ha! Silly me :D

I get your step-by-step mentality. Actually I welcome this. But I don't believe that hybrids can be on par or even exceed pure builds dps without massive changes. The thing that will always hold them back is that they have to split their boni.

If it's not crit, it's max resources. Then it would be penetration. After that CP allocation. And all that even ignores the fact that pelinal's + one wpn/spell dmg set won't even get you near the amount of max wpn/spl dmg a pure build can obtain.

Only part I can see as neglectable is regen.
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on January 31, 2018 3:20PM
  • tunepunk
    tunepunk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play around with hybrids form time to time for fun. Not to win any DPS races, but one benefit of hybrids are that you have two resource pools and when either one is getting low you can focus on the other.

I find that Hybrids are pretty ok in PvP (even if i don't play PVP much), as two pools can be very useful, and you have a wider variety of skills to choose from. They don't hit as hard, but sometimes skills are more for utility than damage.

Instead of merging crit chance, i would probably prefer if they added some set or skill to convert damage. Converting Magic damage (Magic/Frost/Shock/fire) etc to some (Physical/Bleed/Poison/Disiease). For example. Crystal shards doing physical damage and using the Weapon crit instead of spell crit. Twin Slashes, causing burn damage and critting on spell crit instead.

That would be much more fun and versatile.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    tunepunk wrote: »
    I play around with hybrids form time to time for fun. Not to win any DPS races, but one benefit of hybrids are that you have two resource pools and when either one is getting low you can focus on the other.

I find that Hybrids are pretty ok in PvP (even if i don't play PVP much), as two pools can be very useful, and you have a wider variety of skills to choose from. They don't hit as hard, but sometimes skills are more for utility than damage.

Instead of merging crit chance, i would probably prefer if they added some set or skill to convert damage. Converting Magic damage (Magic/Frost/Shock/fire) etc to some (Physical/Bleed/Poison/Disiease). For example. Crystal shards doing physical damage and using the Weapon crit instead of spell crit. Twin Slashes, causing burn damage and critting on spell crit instead.

That would be much more fun and versatile.

That would be a really fun pair of crafted sets, one to turn physical to magic and vice versa. Whole new type of gameplay...hmmm.

Ha! Silly me :D

I get your step-by-step mentality. Actually I welcome this. But I don't believe that hybrids can be on par or even exceed pure builds dps without massive changes. The thing that will always hold them back is that they have to split their boni.

If it's not crit, it's max resources. Then it would be penetration. After that CP allocation. And all that even ignores the fact that pelinal's + one wpn/spell dmg set won't even get you near the amount of max wpn/spl dmg a pure build can obtain.

Only part I can see as neglectable is regen.

100% agree. I'm weird: I acknowledge that hybrids should do less damage in exchange for utility, but 10-15k seems too steep a difference for my taste.
    Edited by DocFrost72 on January 31, 2018 3:44PM
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The comedic value of seeing a Redguard Templar in Medium Armor wielding a Greatsword killing somone with Jesus Beam makes up for a lot.

Hybrids in PvP are already plenty viable.

PvE, there's no particular task or role that a hybrid could cover, and there's no reason (other than "fun") to use one. In long fights the lower resource pools are going to be a nightmare to sustain, therefore unifying crit ratings is not going to be enough, on its own. Synergies only restore your higher stat, you need to integrate heavy attacks on both bars.

The problem with hybrids is not the lack of crit rating. Hybrids have lower stat pools, but can stack ridiculously high weapon and spell damage, which is a formula for exceptional single target burst, but lackluster sustained damage.

This is the hybrid meta (atm) and it's not really compatible with dungeons/trials where burst is nice, but sustained damage is better.

IMO.
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)

#SpellswordArmy

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aisle9 wrote: »
    The comedic value of seeing a Redguard Templar in Medium Armor wielding a Greatsword killing somone with Jesus Beam makes up for a lot.

PvE, there's no particular task or role that a hybrid could cover, and there's no reason (other than "fun") to use one. In long fights the lower resource pools are going to be a nightmare to sustain, therefore unifying crit ratings is not going to be enough, on its own. Synergies only restore your higher stat, you need to integrate heavy attacks on both bars.

The problem with hybrids is not the lack of crit rating. Hybrids have lower stat pools, but can stack ridiculously high weapon and spell damage, which is a formula for exceptional single target burst, but lackluster sustained damage.

This is the hybrid meta (atm) and it's not really compatible with dungeons/trials where burst is nice, but sustained damage is better.

IMO.

To be fair, the change is aimed at improving hybrid pve dps. After all, I've played hybrid in pvp and they can be effective and fun, if a bit harder. Crit matters a fair deal more in pve compared to pvp.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Concept: as it is right now, we have seperate values for spell critical and weapon critical. What if we just had a "critical" stat that encompassed the chance to critically strike on any attack that fell within the boundaries of crittable damage (so, not monster helms and oblivion damage ie). Currently, that is how the crit modifier is with every case except champion points (which would remain the same so as to give 'pure' dps a numerical advantage).

Thoughts? Good idea? Terrible idea? Please comment and discuss.

still have stam/mag ans CP differences. The base design of the game is what makes, and has essentially always made, hybrids weaker.

To change that one would have to essentially remove hybrids, and choice, from the game and only have one stat for everything and of course have CP follow suit. It would make the game much less interesting and narrow our classes choices from essentially 8 to 4 since stam and magicka variants are very different.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KISS

Go back to the vanilla design that allowed unique builds which contained overcharged penalties.

Remove all this magic and stamina skill stuff.
    Go back to TES design

Now align the skills within the used weapon and apply logic to the soul stone charges.
    The other skills would act as odd hand casting like....TES Skyrim and a mix of Oblivion and Morrowind

Makes things soooo much more logical and then give folks more quick swap slots for weapons

That’s a good move and makes things more fun

I keep telling y’all this isn’t or wasn’t initially ESO, it was DAoC 2 and whatever happened, happened but now we got ESO
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on January 31, 2018 4:25PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aisle9 wrote: »

IMO.

To be fair, the change is aimed at improving hybrid pve dps. After all, I've played hybrid in pvp and they can be effective and fun, if a bit harder. Crit matters a fair deal more in pve compared to pvp.

Yes I understand what you said, reason why I separated PvP (top 2 paragraphs) from PvE (rest).

From the 3rd paragraph and on it's strictly PvE I'm referring to.

In the 5th paragraph I specifically refer to dungeons and trials.

So ... not sure why you quoted me on that, confirmation, disagreement, clarification needed ?

#SpellswordArmy

• PlaceboSoul
    PlaceboSoul
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps a noobish idea, perhaps I am missing why the stats are managed as they are.

Would it not make hybrids more viable if they simply added the stats together to complement stats? Since your stat allocation maxes at 64 regardless of how they are spent, instead of magicka builds getting benefits from only magicka points, and stamina the same, get benefits based on the total of magicka+stamina?

That way, you could build with both stamina and magicka skills, and still not be gimped by lower totals in max magicka or stamina, making hybrids not only more viable, but perhaps even on par with single stat builds that have become the norm out of necessity.

Again, I'm somewhat new and returning after being away a long while, perhaps I am missing something in regards to why the stat totals are distinctly split in the first place.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First and foremost they need to unlink weapon and spell damage from resources. It makes no sense and is the biggest factor holding back hybrids right now. Resources should be just that- resources- not damage modifiers. This is also the #1 thing that causes racial imbalances between those that have a boost to max resources and those who don't

The damage lost from unlinking can be worked back in to base weapon/spell damage values or made up for by working it into sets and gear.

A character with 20,000 stamina should not be doing near twice the damage per hit that a character with 10,000 stamina does - he should just have more freedom to use abilities thanks to that extra stamina reserve.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Hybrid builds are viable"

oMJ28xM_700wa_0.gif
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • TheZirex
    TheZirex
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how a lot of people say that hybrids need a buff or arent good when 9 out of 10 times they havent tried a TRUE hybrid build out, hybrids infact are really damn strong it's just that the learning curve is so high that people mistake it with being underpowered, not a lot of people can manage both resources at once and still do damage, just practice around and you'll see how strong a hybrid build is.
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How to make hybrid builds viable in one step.
    -Make the enemies have different physical and magical resistances.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheZirex wrote: »
    It's funny how a lot of people say that hybrids need a buff or arent good when 9 out of 10 times they havent tried a TRUE hybrid build out, hybrids infact are really damn strong it's just that the learning curve is so high that people mistake it with being underpowered, not a lot of people can manage both resources at once and still do damage, just practice around and you'll see how strong a hybrid build is.

I have been around long enough to know that the OP has been working with hybrids for a long time. I trust that his concept about combining critical stats is worth exploring.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mechanical acuity and the thief mundus stone are good options if you are looking for weapon and spell crit together (although I would not use both, since thief makes acuity weaker).

Flames of Oblivion provides 10% to each crit chance, which is one reason DK's make the best hybrids (IMO). Another option would be to use spell + weapon crit potions, but these unfortunately do not return any resources or give weapon or spell power.

I wouldn't be opposed to your idea, just pointing out there are a few decent options in game already for hybrid crit boosting. In general hybrids are pretty weak in PVE, so I would definitely support a buff.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on February 4, 2018 9:58PM