The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Finally beat Vet Maelstrom

Farscape76
Farscape76
✭✭✭
I have been struggling with completing VMA for about a year now. Last night I finally beat it for the first time ever. My main a big ol' Nord stamdk with his 2 hander and bow and no proc sets or other trial gear just hundings and spriggans, and of course since I don't dual wield ... I was rewarded with a dagger and axe :tongue:

CP 1200+ Xbox - NA - Ebonheart Pact
Characters
Dargo Crichton - VR16/lvl 50 StamDK - Stormproof
Talon Crichton - lvl 50 Stamsorc
Kara Crichton - lvl 50 StamDK
Erza Crichton - lvl 50 MagDK
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats
    Im still working on it ... sad face. My brain and fingers just too slow i think. I can kill stuff just can not foe the life of me keep the damage down. Just cant seem to avoid it.
    Edited by firedrgn on January 26, 2018 5:38AM
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @firedrgn I really appreciate it.

Stick with it... I am almost 42 so my reflexes definitely aren't what they once were.

I would find myself continually stuck on a level, but each level I got through I found I would be stuck on the next level for less time than the one before.

Watching Deltia's walkthrough helped me a lot... I found the way he broke down the mechanics to be helpful personally. I watched other videos for my class but ultimately I had to find a way that would work for me.

Characters
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ I think you are spot on there mate. People go straight to copying meta or pro videos however how a pro clears vMA is very different to you first time. They are doing alot you dont see, and know the mechanics to prioritise things and time things.

Your build being roughly in the zone is ok, and the rest is it feeling right for you, your strategy. Build changes will help with score, but first pass is more about mechanics and knowing your skills etc.

Anyway huge congrats. It's a great feeling.
    My advice, hit it again soon. It's so much faster and easier the 2nd time. Especially Voriak
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!

It's an amazing feeling and relief the first time you do it and after that every extra time is easier.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use a similar build, albeit with better gear. 5 Hunding's Rage, 5/4 Vicious Ophidian w Maelstrom Bow back bar 1 Velidreth.

2H is actually easier on DK for first clears, since you don't have a class execute, so you can use Reverse Slice instead. Weaved with heavy attacks it makes short work of add groups. Another valuable skill is Brawler, that gives great mitigation. Last but not least Rally, which is a burst heal and gives you major brutality if you decide to pick Molten Armaments. This way you have both Minor and Major brutality, as well as a buff to heavy attacks without using potions.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I use a similar build, albeit with better gear. 5 Hunding's Rage, 5/4 Vicious Ophidian w Maelstrom Bow back bar 1 Velidreth.

2H is actually easier on DK for first clears, since you don't have a class execute, so you can use Reverse Slice instead. Weaved with heavy attacks it makes short work of add groups. Another valuable skill is Brawler, that gives great mitigation. Last but not least Rally, which is a burst heal and gives you major brutality if you decide to pick Molten Armaments. This way you have both Minor and Major brutality, as well as a buff to heavy attacks without using potions.

Thanks,

It's almost like you were watching me go through it :smile: ... rally and molten armaments (for the heavy attack bonus) really helped me a lot.
    I love reverse slice and found some rounds I needed brawler and others not so much.

At some point I will have to learn how to play well with others :tongue: and farm Vicious Ophidian
    Characters
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you @Turelus I appreciate it.
    Characters
  • yttoks
    yttoks
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome. Congrats!
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Beardimus ... well said about how the pros and streamers have other things at work that we don't see in terms of their performance.
    Characters
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Farscape76 wrote: »
    Asardes wrote: »

Thanks,

It's almost like you were watching me go through it :smile: ... rally and molten armaments (for the heavy attack bonus) really helped me a lot.
    I love reverse slice and found some rounds I needed brawler and others not so much.

At some point I will have to learn how to play well with others :tongue: and farm Vicious Ophidian

The easiest way is to make a tank spec for your DK and learn how to tank. My DK can do both, since he has multiple gear setups for each role, and enough skill points to fill the required skills. I've done veteran dungeons and trials both as melee DD and Tank.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭
    @yttoks Thank you :smile:

It was a huge moment for me having worked for it so long. I woke up my kids because I was hooting and hollering
    Characters
  • yttoks
    yttoks
    ✭✭✭

It was a huge moment for me having worked for it so long. I woke up my kids because I was hooting and hollering

I don't live with any kids, so I didn't wake any up! It's it great feeling, that first clear. I still like to go in there with new builds. vMA will show you where the holes are!
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! it's a fantastic feeling and it only gets easier from here!

May the RNG be ever in your favour!
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @MissBizz I will take all the RNG luck I can :tongue:
    Edited by Farscape76 on January 26, 2018 2:43PM
    Characters
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Congrats on your clear.

And props for your forum name. I used to watch that show. :D
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much @The_Patriarch

Farscape is my favorite show still, even after all these years. I have had the tag on Xbox forever so I was glad to get it here as well.
    Characters
  • TheKingofSass
    TheKingofSass
    ✭✭✭✭

Congrats !!!
    Hahaha I feel it will happen the same with me if I would ever succeed, I have tried the arena a few times and failed, my frustration almost woke up my 2yo kid.

Then again, I went ahead without properly setting up my build for it. Wish I could go farm for monster sets, but my kid is the reason I don’t dare to join a group. It happens that my toddle wakes up and cries in the night, so you can bet your arses I will drop the game to comfort her. Thus making me unreliable in group dungeons OTZ
    "Remember, darkness does not always equate to evil, just as light does not always bring good."

Nifereti
    500 CP+┇Altmer┇Vampire Magblade┇AD
    Alyäia Morningstar
    500 CP+┇Altmer┇Vampire Magplar┇AD
    Poison Avy
    500 CP+┇Bosmer┇Werewolf Stamden┇EP
    Tronto Ebur
    500 CP+┇Imperial┇Frosted Tankden┇EP
    Azaerani
    500 CP+┇Dunmer┇Dovah Kendov MagKnight┇DC
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭

Congrats !!!
    Hahaha I feel it will happen the same with me if I would ever succeed, I have tried the arena a few times and failed, my frustration almost woke up my 2yo kid.

Then again, I went ahead without properly setting up my build for it. Wish I could go farm for monster sets, but my kid is the reason I don’t dare to join a group. It happens that my toddle wakes up and cries in the night, so you can bet your arses I will drop the game to comfort her. Thus making me unreliable in group dungeons OTZ

Sounds to me like you have your priorities straight :smiley:
    Characters
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Congrats!
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @kylewwefan
    Characters
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grats on your first clear!

I still remember the pain and agony spread across many weeks for mine, and then the adrenaline, joy, and actual physical shaking when it finally was done and that chest spawned.
    Nothing in the game has affected me the same way, though getting the first clear on my mDK (I consider this Hard Mode in VMA) was close, and finally clearing vMoL was close too.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Sigtric yeah the adrenaline of it all definitely had my hands shaking
    Characters
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a crazy experience, from a video game. I've never had a game affect like that! lol
    Did it make it tough for you at all? Hands shaking/heart racing nearing the end of the fight to the point where you flubbed and died? Happened to me so many times I lost count. lol

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After being stuck there for over a year myself, I took about a month off from that place when I finally beat it. Then went back. It took the better part of a week for me to do it again. I still get a little rush out of beating it.

Awesome job with a 2H. I’ve been trying but can’t seem to get enough damage on the crystals with it. I prefer 2H, but gotta go with what works for me. Haha
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »

It's a crazy experience, from a video game. I've never had a game affect like that! lol
    Did it make it tough for you at all? Hands shaking/heart racing nearing the end of the fight to the point where you flubbed and died? Happened to me so many times I lost count. lol

It absolutely did make it harder for me as well. In fact most times I died it was because I got excited and tried to trade punches with the level boss rather than wear them down and use the mechanics :tongue:
    Characters
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Food for thought - watch my videos for round 7 showing you "safe" spots where spores don't spawn :smile:

hehe - congrats either way
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648