The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Battlegrounds.....

Artemiisia
Artemiisia
✭✭✭✭✭
I just came back to the game after a long break, and seeing lots of quaility of life changes, there is one that needs to be changed fast

There need to be two options for battlegrounds

1. premade groups
1. random group

signups.

The whole 4 people grouping up to kick som noob/newbie/random groups asses gets old really fast, and sucks the fun out of it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numbers would be the reason. One side of the other, to a degree both, would have longer queue times. Not as much if a deal during prime time but outside of that BGs would be dead.

That's the reason there will never be a choice like that.
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what u mean long queue times, im getting inside at prime time right now in like 5 secs

making the two options I listed, will bring more people to do them, since randoms will stop after like 1-10 matches seing these premade roll over groups
  • The_Brosteen
    The_Brosteen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having seperate queues for premade and randoms is basically almost unanimously desired. I would suggest they change bgs to one queue being for teams of 4 and the other for being a free for all with like 4-6 players. Then teams can fight teams and solo players can fight solo players.

Also, most people seem to play every match like its death match so might as well just make that officially so.
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's kinda a shame that battlegrounds doesn't have a staging area. Small instanced zone where you can go and be around others who are doing them as well.

Would make finding group mates easier, maybe even allow for new "friendships".

Then staging area could have each game mode with a number showing how many people in that mode, so you could pick the mode you wanted, or if it's not popular mode that evening, pick a different one with a shorter queue.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I’m going to start taking a “handicap” with me when I Queue. I’ll find a really low CP player and group them and help them learn PvP.

And then I’ll ask him to disband when a premade shows up and it’s time for “adult swim” lol
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or if they refuse to split it for premade/PUG, they can just go ahead and make every group a random PUG and disable the possibility for premades.

I mean, I'm ok with having both options, but if they cannot or will not split it, then I vastly prefer not being able to queue as premade.

The efficiency of a premade, voice coordinated group with specific roles and gear is just always going to trumph a random put together of clueless people. It's not even a challenge, it's just a farm fest.
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battlegrounds needs the following:

1. Remove/revise BG's so that it is two teams only. (If folks want the experience of 3 teams they can visit Cyrodiil)
    a. Or, allow for the option to queue into 2 teams or 3 teams battlegrounds matches (although this most likely wouldn’t
    work out as most would probably just queue for 2 team fights)
    2. Create options for queuing into Battlegrounds
    a. Solo queue ( never face a premade )
    b. Premade vs Premade (Sadly… I don’t think this option will actually get used a lot due to most of the GOOD players
    just want to smack around plebs)
    3. Open battlegrounds to ALL (remove the Morrowind paywall entry)

One of the problems I see is what about if 2 buddies want to queue together? Then you open yourself up to the same old complaints.

I have seen this before with a previous MMO I played extensively. Age of Conan. They had a mini-game/battleground system in place. In the beginning, premades could go in and fight against pugs… most of the time it was a disaster. Then, the folks that didn’t want to fight against premades complained enough that Funcom removed the option for premades entirely. You couldn’t even queue up with a friend. It was simply solo queue only. After a while, people complained because they couldn’t queue up with a friend… they begged and pleaded to have the option to be able to queue with at least 1 friend. I haven’t played AoC since the release of ESO so I don’t know if Funcom ever introduced the option to queue with a friend. Still, it is worth mentioning this because no matter what method of implementation ZOS goes with, they will still be stuck with complainers… I guess the bigger question is, what method of implementation would yield the best results in terms of lesser amount of complainers.

Then, the next issue is you have a battleground system that was designed with the idea of 3 teams being involved. It would take some effort, time, money on the part of ZOS to update the maps etc. to allow for 2 teams…

The next issue is the desire, from those that frequent the forums often, to have the option to choose what game mode they want. Sadly, that would mean that all other game modes would disappear as everyone would most likely be just queuing up for deathmatch.

I’m a casual player myself so I don’t really care about the competitive spirit of battlegrounds… if there is one… I, like I believe many are, am simply wanting to get in and fight in a fair match… even somewhat fair is fine… but the problem is how does ZOS really go about achieving that?

In the end, battlegrounds really needs to have a lot of people playing them in order to allow for a better chance at having “Fun”. With that being said, and I know this has been stated many times already, Battlegrounds NEEDS to be opened up to everyone! This is probably the single most important change that could be done for battlegrounds. See, here is the thing, some of the popular games out there like PUBG, Overwatch etc… they are popular and as such have a ton of people playing… so the chances of being faced against the same person or team of folks is quite limited in those games. In order to even get a glimpse of that possibility, Battlegrounds needs to be opened up for any and all that purchase the base game. The more people we have to fight against the better our chances of getting more matches where we aren’t pitted against the same folks over and over again.
    YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Numbers would be the reason. One side of the other, to a degree both, would have longer queue times. Not as much if a deal during prime time but outside of that BGs would be dead.

That's the reason there will never be a choice like that.

The solo-duo queue would have no problems filling up, the vast majority of the playerbase seem to queue that way anyway. If anything that would probably result in even more people than the current system has, because people won't be put off playing BGs by the premades.

The premade queue would be very small because there's rarely more than 3-4 premades running around. At least they have the option to split up and join the solo queue though. Rather than be allowed in games against complete randoms that are terribly imbalanced.

EU | PC | AD
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you made it so that the premade queue can start with two teams I’d love it. I don’t want to queue in a premade unless there’s another premade to fight .

But the fact remains, the best BGs are the ones that are premade-only.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    If you made it so that the premade queue can start with two teams I’d love it. I don’t want to queue in a premade unless there’s another premade to fight .

But the fact remains, the best BGs are the ones that are premade-only.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Or at least not always true.

Some premade games end up being an AoE mayhem with everyone stacking in 1 spot, healplars just spamming heals and hardly anyone dying for minutes on end. Some can be great, of course.

And likewise you can have some great games where the solo players are of decent skill level and it's really enjoyable getting involved in 1v1s or 1v2s around the map. Or you can get a game of randoms where the's a bunch of under-leveled/inexperienced players getting mopped up by 1 or 2 highly skilled and highly geared players.

There will always be some extremes. Especially since we don't have MMR and probably never will, due to the small game audience. But it's all about chances. A premade vs premade has a high chance of being a fun game. A randoms vs randoms also has a high chance of being fun. A premade vs randoms has a very low chance of being fun. 9/10 times the premade's coordination alone will be enough to to carry them to an easy win. So it's not really worth creating that game, as it will most likely end up in players not enjoying themselves.

Making the premade games be a 2-way instead of a 3-way is a very nice idea, especially since it will open the way for custom games too, but they'll need to re-design some things around that purpose. Having 2 teams chase 4 flags in Domination would be utterly pointless for example. And some maps are a bit too big for two teams, like Arcane University. In fact, with the exception of Foyada Quarry, all other maps are designed around 3 teams rather than 2.

So that would need some work, but if it's done correctly it would be amazing. It would also pave the way for guild rankings based on a W/D/L ratio. How awesome would that be?
    EU | PC | AD
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been said since launch, and there are multiple other threads on it

It's fun for neither side, pros get bored of potatoes smashing as fast as solos get frustrated.

I'll add (as per other threads) to a new BG player a team of half decent players can appear to be a premade, and actually they may not be. 4 good solo players that know the map and tactics can act like a premade to a less experienced player

But yeah 4v4v4 premade cool would good, or just a solo queue.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP