The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Templar identity crisis- Magplar build help

VonNelson
VonNelson
✭✭✭
I’ve a Templar who started stam then went to magica then back to stam and now is back to magica. I much prefer the magica skills on this class but I’m still terrible. So bad I got my ass handed to me by a lvl 27 magplar. More than once. Shameful.

I’m using 5pc desert rose, 5pc soulshine and I’ve space for head and shoulders. Dual wield maces and sword and board. Wouldn’t mind getting my resistances up more.

At the moment all of my skills are class skills. What do I need to look at first?
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VonNelson wrote: »
    I’ve a Templar who started stam then went to magica then back to stam and now is back to magica. I much prefer the magica skills on this class but I’m still terrible. So bad I got my ass handed to me by a lvl 27 magplar. More than once. Shameful.

I’m using 5pc desert rose, 5pc soulshine and I’ve space for head and shoulders. Dual wield maces and sword and board. Wouldn’t mind getting my resistances up more.

At the moment all of my skills are class skills. What do I need to look at first?

If you’re that bad do not start off with damage setups, you’re better off running sustain with enough damage to kill someone. This way you can at least learn your class. You should have swords rather than maces but I wouldn’t run dw/snb until you get better. Try starting with snb/resto.

Must have skills to me would be sweeps, ritual, rune , purifying light and breath of life (probably missing something) but the rest you can pretty much juggle for a melee magplar.

Then there’s the matter of attribute points, cp, stats and food. I don’t know any of those but I can say make sure you’re putting all your attribute points into magicka.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you’re that bad do not start off with damage setups, you’re better off running sustain with enough damage to kill someone. This way you can at least learn your class. You should have swords rather than maces but I wouldn’t run dw/snb until you get better. Try starting with snb/resto.

Must have skills to me would be sweeps, ritual, rune , purifying light and breath of life (probably missing something) but the rest you can pretty much juggle for a melee magplar.

Then there’s the matter of attribute points, cp, stats and food. I don’t know any of those but I can say make sure you’re putting all your attribute points into magicka.

Another thing, dual mace? Only sword benefits magplar since the DMG done stat is hybrid. The others are only for stamina as the passives strictly say "physical".

Soulshine only buffs cast times and channels. Aside from jabs, it's dark flare/solar barrage, Jesus beam, hasty prayer and the healing ultimate. But all of those have strict conditions or are highly counteracted. If you used a fire staff, soulshine would buff the heavy attack nicely.

To replace soulshine, julianos isn't terrible. I've seen recently a couple of builds using it. Shackle isn't terrible either, Innate Axiom buffs a few nice spells for Templars. Other than that, you'll need to look at farmed sets in dungeons.

Make sure you have an aedric spear ability on both bars. This gives you 10% extra crit DMG, 10% extra DMG on blocked targets, and 15% block motivation against melee attacks. Very strong passives!
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will never have competitive damage as a magplar. Just make a healer and run with the group. You will get more AP as a healer and be alot less frustrated trying to keep up with real burst classes
    Edited by Drdeath20 on January 31, 2018 2:16AM
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if you want to increase your resists, the Mighty Chudan Monster Set is an excellent choice for your 2 piece Head/Shoulders set...

It will give you 8255 Spell/Physical Resist at all times (along with 1205 Max Health as a nice extra bonus) and it'll save you a slot as you will no longer need to slot either morph of Rune Focus...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on January 31, 2018 3:42AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect practice makes perfect. Describe "Got my ass handed to me". What went wrong? Recording and watching your fights will help a ton too.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah, that’s not really a good setup. You have virtually nothing to improve your healing. A low Max magika pool, low spell damage, low critical rating.

For an easy Magplar build that’s pretty cheap. 5 Shacklebreaker body. 3 Willpowerjewelry - enchanted with Magika recovery. Undaunted of choice(Skoria, Bloodspawn, Troll King, Groth, 1 domi 1 Groth, etc) 5 light 2 Heavy Seducer SnB back bar Any Lightning destro front bar. Run Tri-stat foods and Atro mundus.

That gives you nice max pools, a good amount of sustain and enough damage to contribute in a small group. Practice in duels and BGs, ask people you see for help.

For meta magplar specs there are a lot of options available that will outperform what I’ve listed above. But that’s a very cheap setup to get a feel for things and the big stam pool lets you block cast heals, your best defensive mechanic, aside from staying aggressive which is a high level play and requires more damage.

For offense, Purifying Light is your burst mechanic, but it isn’t always reliable and usually won’t catch someone the first time, putting a value on sustain. From there Reflective Light/Vamp’s Bane is a nice DoT, snare, and gives you major prophecy, pushing your spell critical to 41%. Sweeps is your spammable, but you want to cast it when you know you’ll hit a couple, thankfully your DoT has a snare. Blazing shards is unblockable damage, group support, and can proc burning light. Radiant Destruction is toe execute and answer to dodge rollers. Breath is your heal, Extended Ritual is your purge and group support. Mist form and Rune are both defensive mechanics(although they function very differently). Slotting those skills leaves very few slots available but will give you group utility so that better players won’t mind carrying you and will be much more likely to help you improve. Maybe it’s not the best solution, but I think on Magplar that leaning towards support specs while learning the offensive aspects is a great method
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not terribly hard man, let me throw a build at you I came up with.

2 slimecraw
    5 rattle cage (1 armor, 3 arcane jewelry, 1 sword or shield
    5 seducer (craftable)

5 light, 1 heavy, 1 medium (if you don't have undaunted passives then use 2 heavy & 5 light

You want two one handed swords (duel wield) front bar
    Sword & board(shield) back bar

You want to be either high elf or Argonian preferably, you want to have vampirism & be stage 3
    Use witch mothers potent brew purple drink
    Use spell penetration mundus, all magic enchants on armor, 1 inc spell & weapon damage on your 2nd duel wield infused sword, 1 oblivion damage on your main hand sharpened sword
    (I think this is correct but maybe I'm confused)
    1 or 2 prismatic enchants on head & chest armor
    Try using 3 spell damage glyphs on jewelry & if you have trouble sustaining then change one out

(Bar skills don't need to be in same order & you can altar to your liking)

(Choose the magic versions of all skills)
    Front bar setup:
    Breath of life, puncturing sweeps, power of the light, javelin, mage light; ult: meteor

Back bar setup:
    Breath of life, mist form, extended ritual, radiant destruction, inevitable detonation; ult: healing bats

Funny thing is, I've never even played a templar
    But I stand by this as a decent pvp build

When you master fighting with this you can swap seducer for wizards riposte for tankiness & swap glyphs around for better sustain

If you stil can't get the hang of it then go 5 heavy & 2 light but same build
    Edited by kaithuzar on January 31, 2018 6:31AM
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    @Minno this is why I’m asking- 2 maces because I had a pair. Both soulshine. I’ll get swords instead for now but I’ll swap the set to rattle cage eventually- what dungeon sets did you mean?
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    @Brutusmax1mus I got surprised taking a flag at Bruma. Panicked as I always do when I’m alone and completely lost any coherent response. There is no muscle memory there at all let alone any type of rotation. I’ve literally just swapped over to mag and haven’t really jumped in yet although I know I’ve some glaring weaknesses that I need to fix. Came back again to get flag and they were perched somewhere waiting for me. Didn’t have line of site. 3rd time I got them got the flag and got to the merchant.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    You will never have competitive damage as a magplar. Just make a healer and run with the group. You will get more AP as a healer and be alot less frustrated trying to keep up with real burst classes

Utter rubbish
  • VonNelson
    VonNelson
    ✭✭✭
    @Lexxypwns I think with purple food my magica pool is about 30k but my spell Crit and damage is ***. 2 heavy and 5 light, went for desert rose over seducer as the regen is better when ur taking damage?

What I am seriously missing is a snare. So going to get reflective light or the other morph later. And didn’t have Jesus beam slotted either so the other person just avoided everything I was throwing.
    Front bar BoL, sweeps, shards, dark flare and extended ritual. Back bar Javelin, backlash, eclipse, rune, and had the retreating manoeuvre and Revealing flare. Defo wanna add support but really like those offence spells too. Thanks for the advice :)
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use two defensive/utility sets

Eg wizard riposte, dureks bane , transmutation,

Mix them as you like mix of impen and devines

Monster set you can go pirate skelly if you're learning for more tankiness, or skoria grothdar for an offence set

Back bar sword n board front dual wield swords
    If set up right both all armour sets will proceed on both bars

Defending rune for damage mitigation and magic regen , ritual of retribution for heal over time and damage over time (procs transmutation and skoria)

Honour the dead for burst oh *** heal

Sweeps to heal and do damage when enemy up close

Radiant Mage light (mages guild) to prevent stun from stealth attack and increase crit rating, watch for skoria procing this will be your moment to change the fight, drop comet, heal up switch bar

Offence bar, purifying light this again procs skoria and on kill or double tap will heal and procs transmutation great for you and your team

Degeneration, ( entropy morph , mage guild tree) this procs skoria, heals you and increases spell damage 20%

Next vampire bane, again procs skoria and reduces enemy movement , next you have two options ... Javelin to keep player at a distance then hit them with radiant destruction or toppling charge radiant destruction

You won't win everything, you're not meant to bug you will hold your own 1v1 and some 1vX

It's a great team build due to the many heals that proc transmutation

The dureks bane or wizard riposte give great debuffs and all damage being DoTs with impact damage mean they hit hard but also force the player to make choices risk another skoria proc that may finish them or go defensive which lets you breath n make a choice to do the same

How you choose is what determines how the fight will end know your own limits through learning to know if you can push that extra offence or retreat to heal to re-engage

Good luck
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most applicable advice you're getting in this thread is from @Lexxypwns . Nothing fancy, no farming, reasonably effective.

The other builds people are offering are good, but more specialized. It sounds like you just want to get a sense of how the class plays.

Have structured entropy on your sword and board "back bar" to get major sorcery.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's quite amusing that it's the opposite for me. I usually can a problem with Templars with being MagBlade. Templars pop you with the Power of the Light and/or Eclipse (whichever morph) and they're doing damages without even striking you. You're forced to run around like a chicken with it head cut off until the effect fades or somehow purge it. Those Biting Jabs (or the maj morph) are brutal if you can't readily interrupt. I run a StamPlar for PvE and PvP, and it's quite nasty in both venues. I prefer stam because of the Biting Jabs, Caltrops and the Poison Injection and Endless Hail from the bow; plus, the nice Vigor. For PvP, the Javelin and Biting Jabs are just brutal. You can use Total Dark, Purifying Light and Extended Ritual or Ritual of Retribution for cleansing. Also, that damn Radiant Destruction; hate you Magplars that keep dropping that on me, but love throwing on enemy players. Ha ha. You also have Restoring Focus and Blazing Shield (or the other morph) for good support.

Mine is a 2H/Bow and I'll play around with Ravaging/Spriggan or Annate Axiom/Sword Singers. Stam recovery is much lower, but I make it up in higher weapon damage in the 4ks and stam pool in the higher 30s. Plus you can play around with the CP tree and plus up Mooncalf. I'm sure you can throw on a VO set, but I'm too lazy to farm trials. I'm fine with the sets I'm running and still wiping the floor with any add/mobs and does fairly well soloing world bosses in PvE just fine and hold strong against other enemy players in PvP. I also slot Flawless Dawnbreaker on my front 2H bar for the extra weapon dam increase and Shooting Star on the back bow bar for group bombing.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Minno this is why I’m asking- 2 maces because I had a pair. Both soulshine. I’ll get swords instead for now but I’ll swap the set to rattle cage eventually- what dungeon sets did you mean?

Lexxypwns gives a nice quick setup you can get cheaply without farming for sets.

If you want to farm for those dungeon sets, Overwelming Surge , burning spell weave, rattlecage are the most popular dungeon sets some magplars go for.

Yea for magplars, dual weld swords and 2hander swords are the only weapons that benefit magplars from the dual weld+2h skill lines. For sword and Board, it actually doesn't matter what one hand weapon you use as long as the second item is the shield but this skill line is really defensive.

Hope that helps! Give lexy's setup a try and then report back!
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Drdeath20 wrote: »

Utter rubbish

Agreed. It might not be an EZ button class in PvP (looking at you magsorc) but magplar can be competitive with the right setup.

Try this simple build on for size:

5x Pariah heavy for survivability
    2x War Maiden swords and 3x jewelry for magic damage
    2x Valkyn Skoria monster set for an extra oomph OR Troll King for self heals
    Infused/impen on armor and magicka (tri-stat is better but pricey) enchants/ mag regen enchants on jewelry
    Resto staff on backbar with resto ult for OH ***! moments
    Health/magicka/mag regen food (Witchmother's brew or Citrus fillet if you are rich)
    2 potions: one spell power, one immovable - use as necessary

Can go melee with sweeps and charge or distance with dark flare, javelin and vampire's bane. ALWAYS slot Radiant Oppression and Purifying Light. Learn when to use them. ALWAYS put Channeled Focus down before a fight. Potion of spell power will make you hit like a truck. IF that's too pricey for you, Major Sorcery and Major Prophecy are the buffs you want and you can get them from various other skills or armor sets. Pariah set will save your life more times than you can count. Use Soul Assault when enemy is knocked down (after Purifying Light) or Dawnbreaker for burst.

I use this setup to great success and I am a barely passable PvPer. It's safe, it packs a punch, and you will never be short on magicka. Can swap out Troll for Valkyn depending on what you want: extra damage or extra survivability.
    Edited by Datolite on January 31, 2018 5:24PM
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to understand is the gear sets in this game favor defense much much over offense. For example. The 5 pc on spinner is like 3450 pen, 5pc on fortified brass is 5170 res (that’s half more) 1pc pen on krag is only half the res number of 1 pc chudan/pirate. As a magplar, you don’t use dmg shield, you don’t dodge roll. So run defense.
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On top of that, game ap gain favors spam rapid regen, so run vma restro.