The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is there anything that can be done about my ping?

JiDul
JiDul
✭✭✭
So when I play, I can run ESO at a constant 100-140ms. Is there anyway to lower this? When I play other online games my ping is 30-50ms which is much closer to normal. Its only when I play ESO do I get such high ping. When I go into Campaign and play in Cyrodiil my ping jumps to 180-200ms and never lowers and even goes as high as 400-600 during 1v1 fights and forget about raids... This ends up causing server lag for me which drops my frames from 60-50 down to 20-15.. You can imagine how frustrating it is for me because I really enjoy PvP and this game in general but PvP for me is totally unplayable and sometimes even the normal game. Not to mention it kicks me from the server back to the login screen with no error every so often.. I really want to express and make it known that I know its not my ISP. Like I stated before I do not get such bad ping in other MMO's, only in ESO.
Edited by JiDul on January 27, 2018 7:45AM
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JiDul wrote: »
    Is there anything that can be done about my ping.

Yes!
    You can add a pong and play ping-pong with no delays!!!
    Edited by Didgerion on January 27, 2018 10:54AM
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    So when I play, I can run ESO at a constant 100-140ms. Is there anyway to lower this? When I play other online games my ping is 30-50ms which is much closer to normal. Its only when I play ESO do I get such high ping. When I go into Campaign and play in Cyrodiil my ping jumps to 180-200ms and never lowers and even goes as high as 400-600 during 1v1 fights and forget about raids... This ends up causing server lag for me which drops my frames from 60-50 down to 20-15.. You can imagine how frustrating it is for me because I really enjoy PvP and this game in general but PvP for me is totally unplayable and sometimes even the normal game. Not to mention it kicks me from the server back to the login screen with no error every so often.. I really want to express and make it known that I know its not my ISP. Like I stated before I do not get such bad ping in other MMO's, only in ESO.

Just because you get decent ping with other games doesn't mean it's not a issue on your end. Isp have been know to throttle traffic going into and out of certain ports and eso uses a wide range of ports. The fps issue can be fixed I have a decent setup and I can get 70 - 80 fps in trials. If you want to squeeze more fps out of your pc you will need to optimise for it.
  • JiDul
    JiDul
    ✭✭✭

Just because you get decent ping with other games doesn't mean it's not a issue on your end. Isp have been know to throttle traffic going into and out of certain ports and eso uses a wide range of ports. The fps issue can be fixed I have a decent setup and I can get 70 - 80 fps in trials. If you want to squeeze more fps out of your pc you will need to optimise for it.

I play a wide range of mmos I've never had ping this bad. Its always like this. Honestly I've been a sub for 3 years now, I've dealt with this for a long time. I just want to know what can be done about my ping. After a while you get pretty tired of the consistent high ping. Especially when I want to play PvP that i really enjoy on a game I really enjoy and just cant because i either get kicked to the login screen with no error or my ping is so high i cant even see people hitting me with abilities.. I have a really good rig. It can play newer games on ultra-high with 60-50fps. So i know that the fps loss is due to the ping being so high all the time. So please is there anything that can be done?

Here is my specs in case you need to know:
    i5-4690k @ 3.5Ghz
    GTX 1070 SC2 8GB
    16GB DDR3 RAM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ESO is not designed to be a low latency game, so there is a higher normal latency. Your 100-140ms is normal for ESO.

The latency has two parts. The first part is the time it takes for information to get from you, and to you, across the internet. This has almost nothing to do with how "fast" your ISP connection is, or how fast you can ping your ISP, since most of the delay on the internet is from outside of your ISP. (If it helps, think of your ISP as your driveway and you are driving to the grocery store) The second part is how long it takes for the server to process what is happening and send something to you. When the latency gets really high, this seems to be the part that is taking longer. Usually.

When you get into Cyrodiil, the higher latency is largely due to the additional time the server takes to respond, and there is nothing we can do about that. When the game kicks you, that is an indication that things are just overloaded to the point where disconnections happen.

This is a rather simplified view of things, and it is by no means that simple. For example, when you are in a PVP battle, or in Cyrodiil, the network traffic is ramped up to get all the information to the people who need it. Even if the server can keep up, it isn't guaranteed that the internet will. ESO doesn't have a massive amount of traffic, but a spike in traffic in an already congested path might cause latency. This is just one of a number of other things that could be happening that are out of the control of both you and ZOS.

Again, think about a round trip journey to the grocery store, and all the places where someone could get delayed and make the trip longer. Traffic lights. Accidents. Lots of people on the road. Grocery store is busy. All that sort of stuff can be related to latency in ESO.

As for frame rate, that is entirely something else. It really doesn't have much to do with latency because this is all local to your computer or console. Low frame rate means that something cannot keep up. ESO uses a lot of CPU, so my opinion is that a super fast GPU and a marginally fast CPU will get you a marginally fast frame rate.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • makreth
    makreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your ping to the server here: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30903/~/how-do-i-do-a-pathping-and-tracert-to-the-servers-to-test-my-connection?

See what route your ISP uses etc...but nothing you can do...

I'm having heavy spikes tonight as we speak...My usual stable ping is sadly 133ms
    Edited by makreth on January 29, 2018 8:03PM
  • JiDul
    JiDul
    ✭✭✭

ESO is not designed to be a low latency game, so there is a higher normal latency. Your 100-140ms is normal for ESO.

The latency has two parts. The first part is the time it takes for information to get from you, and to you, across the internet. This has almost nothing to do with how "fast" your ISP connection is, or how fast you can ping your ISP, since most of the delay on the internet is from outside of your ISP. (If it helps, think of your ISP as your driveway and you are driving to the grocery store) The second part is how long it takes for the server to process what is happening and send something to you. When the latency gets really high, this seems to be the part that is taking longer. Usually.

When you get into Cyrodiil, the higher latency is largely due to the additional time the server takes to respond, and there is nothing we can do about that. When the game kicks you, that is an indication that things are just overloaded to the point where disconnections happen.

This is a rather simplified view of things, and it is by no means that simple. For example, when you are in a PVP battle, or in Cyrodiil, the network traffic is ramped up to get all the information to the people who need it. Even if the server can keep up, it isn't guaranteed that the internet will. ESO doesn't have a massive amount of traffic, but a spike in traffic in an already congested path might cause latency. This is just one of a number of other things that could be happening that are out of the control of both you and ZOS.

Again, think about a round trip journey to the grocery store, and all the places where someone could get delayed and make the trip longer. Traffic lights. Accidents. Lots of people on the road. Grocery store is busy. All that sort of stuff can be related to latency in ESO.

As for frame rate, that is entirely something else. It really doesn't have much to do with latency because this is all local to your computer or console. Low frame rate means that something cannot keep up. ESO uses a lot of CPU, so my opinion is that a super fast GPU and a marginally fast CPU will get you a marginally fast frame rate.

I appreciate the super detailed summary. I guess it just sucks knowing that its Zenimax's servers that are causing PvP to be unplayable. I really enjoy PvP but it seems ill have to stray away from that until they fix their servers which is most unlikely to happen... ESO is one of my favorite MMO's because its 2 things i really enjoy combined into 1. TES and MMO it saddens me to know that they have such bad servers. Was kinda hoping there was something on my end i could have done.