The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Does xp share equal between group members?

Kitty_Quietly
Kitty_Quietly
✭✭✭
I rarely group outside of occasiional pvp guild stuff. I never paid much attention because it never seemed important.

Anyway, I took a break today from my current usual routine of multiple alts doing same quests (skill point stuff). I took one to play some public dungeons and was approched by a player asking to group. I normaly would refuse because I know how random I can be. This player was friendly though ( polite whispers) and seemed okay following a random person around. I said okay, and grouped.

I was just running fast through a couple public dungeons and killing stuff. I shared the quests but said I wasn’t going to do them right away. I did kill a couple monsters for group challenge skill points but since we were both just running arround I don’t think we were in same room. They said they were getting xp real good. After I said goodbye and disbanded group to log off I started thinking about it. Did they get the skill points too? I hope so. I’d hate to think they missed out by playing with a scatterbrain!

So does stuff like xp and group challenges carry between when grouped?
Edited by Kitty_Quietly on January 26, 2018 3:37PM

Best Answer

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They would have got XP if grouped with you and in the same area, however I believe there is a max range to be within in order to give someone else XP for your kills.

They won't get credit/skill points for any bosses or events however unless they also tagged the required monsters with damage (or possible healed someone doing damage).
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Answer ✓
  • Kitty_Quietly
    Kitty_Quietly
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    They would have got XP if grouped with you and in the same area, however I believe there is a max range to be within in order to give someone else XP for your kills.

They won't get credit/skill points for any bosses or events however unless they also tagged the required monsters with damage (or possible healed someone doing damage).

That’s a bummer, but I guess I will have to keep that in mind for the future.

So if whoever I grouped with today is reading this, I do appologise. I should have thought of that at the time.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus is right. Also, it depends on what the person who grouped with you was after. Many people in public dungeons are just there for the (shared) XP, so they'll probably have been quite content with you providing them to them. :) If they were after skill points or doing quest stages together, they would/could have said something in chat like "please let's stay together, I need the skill point here".

You only get the public dungeon group event skill point the first time you do it (like any other skill point).

Also note that a group of two is the optimal setup in terms of XP gain. You actually get a bonus of 10% XP when in a group, and for up to two people, the XP is not divided, but both players get the full amount. With three or more, the XP is divided among them.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, the Max Range is pretty much Line of Sight*. If you can't see them, your not getting the group benefits. Same applies to the Rings of Mara and Marriage.

*Of course this can depend on the View Distance you have set, as you can set that farther out than you need to be to get Exp from a group, but you get the idea
    Edited by Nestor on January 26, 2018 10:40PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kitty_Quietly
    Kitty_Quietly
    ✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    Turelus is right. Also, it depends on what the person who grouped with you was after. Many people in public dungeons are just there for the (shared) XP, so they'll probably have been quite content with you providing them to them. :) If they were after skill points or doing quest stages together, they would/could have said something in chat like "please let's stay together, I need the skill point here".

You only get the public dungeon group event skill point the first time you do it (like any other skill point).

Also note that a group of two is the optimal setup in terms of XP gain. You actually get a bonus of 10% XP when in a group, and for up to two people, the XP is not divided, but both players get the full amount. With three or more, the XP is divided among them.

Okay, yeah, I was probably overthinking it. Like I said, I don’t group often and only thought about all the what ifs later.

It wasn’t for very long and they never mentioned anything specific so you are probably right.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kitty_Quietly: You might have been overthinking it, yet your attitude is really commendable, and a good example for how to make this game more enjoyable for everyone. :)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP