Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Official Discussion Thread for "Outfits System: Basics Guide"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article Outfits System: Basics Guide. The Outfit System allows you to completely tailor the appearance of your gear, regardless of what your character is currently wearing. In this basics guide, you'll learn everything you need to know about how to create your own custom look!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to be able to have more than one custom Outfit available at any one time, you can acquire additional Outfit Slots from the in-game Crown Store.

You can find additional Outfit Slots within the Crafting section, and you can have up to 10 Outfit Slots on any one character. Note that new Outfit Slots are not shared with the other characters on your account.

Hm. That's an interesting way to go about it, I thought they'd be an account-wide unlock. Hopefully they're cheap.

Still excited for the system regardless! No more ugly monster shoulders : D
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weird request, I know, but is there any possibility that we'll get more than 10 outfit slots per character in the future? I have 22 different outfits in my main character's inventory right now, and the outfit system opens up so many more possibilities...
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, especially for console users, add an option to sort guild stores by motif book (all dwemer books and chapters), by chapter (dwemer boots) , or by applicable slot (search all motif boots). Heck, a search text input field would obviously be awesome as well, but at the very least more specific drop down options would be great.

This would be a massive quality of life improvement for players wanting to update their style in the new outfit system, as well as for master crafter trying to finish a writ.

Please. Please please please. I am begging.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please fix Hide Helmet before it goes live. Still showing as "Not collected" on PTS.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hide tabards option or basta.

P.S.: hide helmet not working.
  • Bleakraven
    Bleakraven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still makes no sense you have to pay gold to dye your outfit.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bleakraven wrote: »
    Still makes no sense you have to pay gold to dye your outfit.

Cast in Dwemer bronze, though.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • MajesticHaruki
    MajesticHaruki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny how players invested time (achievements) or real money (crown store) to acquire DYES and STYLES and now they have to pay AGAIN (time for gold or money for crowns) to USE what they already OWN.
    PC/EU @MajThorax Sorcerer and Housing Decorator prodigy
    In my spare time I collect materials and run away from mudcrabs
  • Eddyble
    Eddyble
    ✭✭✭✭
    no notation of Hide helmet and its effect on polymorphs :'( ... I think you should include things being taken away as well as things you cannot do in your guide. otherwise, I think its informative and good basics guide.
    Edited by Eddyble on January 24, 2018 5:09PM
    Eddyb1e - Xbox One - NA
    Eddyble - PC - NA
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IM SO HYPED! I'm mostly happy that they did a layout where it shows for example dark elf - heavy -level 10 and separates everything. because i was wondering how ill even know I want the level 10 look if its not laid out in a where i can see it and sample ALL the different styles and style levels if they have a different look.

I was excited before but after seeing this post I'm on the hype train...
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny how players invested time (achievements) or real money (crown store) to acquire DYES and STYLES and now they have to pay AGAIN (time for gold or money for crowns) to USE what they already OWN.

well all new content usually requires doing something, in every mmo. i think most games don't just add content without making some type of time sink or requirement to earn the new stuff. that would be kinda silly because then its adding something that you don't have to work for i.e. no reason to play longer.
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Gold costs per slot can then range between hundreds or thousands of gold.
    2. you can acquire additional Outfit Slots from the in-game Crown Store. -- Note that new Outfit Slots are not shared with the other characters on your account.

Just ugh... Will an arm or a leg suffice? Perhaps a vital organ, I've got 2 kidneys and I'm not even using the other one!
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in agreement, this kind of double-dipping would get you thrown out of a superbowl party. Respect the chip bowl and respect the players, ditch the ridiculous gold cost for changing outfits.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just need clarification, can I assume that each character gets one free outfit slot?
    I keep seeing that you get one free, but it doe not specifically say 'per character'.

I also assume that as my main character knows about 50 complete motif styles, then all of my characters will be able to use them for outfits.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    Just need clarification, can I assume that each character gets one free outfit slot?
    I keep seeing that you get one free, but it doe not specifically say 'per character'.

Yes, per character.
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    I also assume that as my main character knows about 50 complete motif styles, then all of my characters will be able to use them for outfits.

And yes to that as well. You just have to login once with the character who knows the styles, before you can use them on any character.
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since the guide contains so many hard facts about specifics of the outfit system, does that mean there is not even the slightest chance you will reconsider regarding outfit dye costs or buyable outfit slots being per character? :(
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    feyii wrote: »
    Since the guide contains so many hard facts about specifics of the outfit system, does that mean there is not even the slightest chance you will reconsider regarding outfit dye costs or buyable outfit slots being per character? :(

They did not say HOW MUCH dyes will cost, but yes, those decisions appear to be final and discussion is closed.
    Edited by Elsonso on January 24, 2018 9:43PM
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’m excited about the outfit system, but not about the fact that there’s a dye cost associated with it. After doing all the achievements to earn those dye colors, I want to be able to use and change them freely, as often as I want. I change the colors on my armor frequently, which is why I have invested in dye stations in my houses.

Especially after hearing on ESO Live about the vast number of combinations possible at the outfit stations (that was hilarious, by the way...my husband came to investigate why I was laughing so hard as those hard-to-pronounce numbers flashed across my screen), I would hate to have to come up with enough gold for all the hydrogen atoms in the universe to change the colors of their outfits!
    Edited by DarcyMardin on January 24, 2018 9:42PM
  • Agrivar
    Agrivar
    ✭✭✭
    You can also hide your hat by using the Hide Your Helm option in your Collections UI. You can find it under Hats in the Appearance category.

I, for one, am against this change. If you *must* have some sort of invisible-hat in the collections UI, despite how much is already crammed into the one interface, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just leave the user settings part alone - perhaps as the highest priority appearance mod, even over costumes/disguises. I've been quite happily using mods for years - first, someone else's and then my own when the original ceased being updated - to allow KEYBINDING that particular user setting, enabling quick and easy helmet toggling w/o breaking immersion with menus and such. I do NOT want to try to shoehorn one more thing into my already tight Quick menu either. Honestly, getting sick of UI compromises based on this game simultaneously existing on consoles.
    PAPSMEAR - Positively Against Paws SMEAR campaign - Say YES to crown crates
  • Capsaica
    Capsaica
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to be able to have more than one custom Outfit available at any one time, you can acquire additional Outfit Slots from the in-game Crown Store.

You can find additional Outfit Slots within the Crafting section, and you can have up to 10 Outfit Slots on any one character. Note that new Outfit Slots are not shared with the other characters on your account.

I am still a bit confused by this and want to be sure - perhaps a bit of clarification is in order?

The way I read this, it means that we will have one outfit slot per character, with an additional 9 slots available on each character. That seems quite clear.

What I was hoping this meant was that we could unlock up to 9 more outfit slots that would be available for each character on our account, but that we would have to set up each character's outfits individually. Basically, the slots would be shared, but the outfits are unique to each character.

What I am understanding from the quote above is that we will start with one outfit slot per character with an option to buy up to 9 additional outfit slots per character. With the new additional character slot available, this brings us up to 15 characters x 9 outfit slots = 135 outfit slots to buy. That seems...excessive...

Also from the blog post, there is no mention of in-game means to buy the outfit slots, only crown store purchases. So it sounds like the outfit slots are a lot like the inventory space upgrades in the crown store- which are on a per-character basis - but without the option to purchase them with in-game gold. This is quite a lot of real cash, depending on the pricing. Don't get me wrong, I have no issues throwing a bit of extra real cash towards ESO now and then, and have been a constant subscriber since beta, but this just feels excessive.

I could see myself happily acquiring 9 extra account-wide outfit slots, even at a somewhat more aggressive crowns price, but I would hesitate about buying the slots when they are locked to each character. I can see myself buying maybe 1 or 2 extra on the 1-2 characters that I play a lot, and just making do with my single outfit slot otherwise.

@ZOS_GinaBruno, can you clarify a bit for us on my questions above?

Thanks!
    ~Caps
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still think they ought to have made the Outfit Tokens for bypassing the Motifs known limitation. More user-friendly that way.

@Capsaica Unless they change it, I can confirm that you need to purchase new slots for each character separately. EX: I bought three extra slots for my main, bringing her up to four Outfits, then switched to an alt and she only had one available Outfit. And yes, I suspect that's going to get pricey...
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

EXPECTING SEVERAL HOURS OF DOWNTIME FOR PC/NA.
  • RebelFireStorm
    RebelFireStorm
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think someone could actually screw up an outfit system. Y'all managed. I am actually amazed.

Place your bets now, folk! How stupidly expensive will the Outfit Change Tokens be? Maybe 500 crowns for a single token? A thousand? Will the packs of them be vaguely discounted or will we get shafted further?

These are the sad questions we find ourselves forced to ask..
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think someone could actually screw up an outfit system. Y'all managed. I am actually amazed.

Place your bets now, folk! How stupidly expensive will the Outfit Change Tokens be? Maybe 500 crowns for a single token? A thousand? Will the packs of them be vaguely discounted or will we get shafted further?

These are the sad questions we find ourselves forced to ask..

On PTS, they sell the tokens individually. My guess is that they will sell individually on Live. 500 Crowns is not outside the realm of possibility, but I think they will be less than that. If they aren't cheap as dirt, my guess is that they won't sell many of them.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is crafting, so its odd and confusing that there is a gold cost and crown cost associated.

-Who are we paying and where are they located? (It doesn't seem there is an NPC in the game to pay, so its illogical)
    -Why are we paying for crafting we have already unlocked?

Additional feedback:
    -Its make more sense that if we are forced to pay crowns for additional slots, those would be account wide?
    -Why in the world are crowns involved at all?
    -Wouldn't it make more sense to use the existing crafting passives and materials within this system?

I understand there is a desire to monetize customers but this decision is a detractor to play the game at all if all you're going to do is monetize everything I've worked for.

Crafting bag, dyes, crafting outfits, motifs.....

Edited by NewBlacksmurf on January 25, 2018 7:15PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't see myself participating in this at all. I'll just keep crafting armor I like the look of for roleplay gear and sucking up and crafting armor I like the look of for "real" gear as well. Takes up too much space, granted, but absolutely no way am I going to be stuck in the position of PAYING to use the selfsame dyes I dragged myself through achievements I didn't want to do in the first place in order to unlock. Dyes should never have been part of the achievement system to begin with. If we'd simply had the range of dyes the game made available initially all available to us then Zeni could use the crown store to sell us NEW (and also unlockable, NOT single use!) dyes and hey, people would buy them. But this "system" they have come up with feels like little more than a slap in the face to players. I'll use my ONE "free" slot and be done with it. Really disappointing Zeni. Seriously.
    Edited by MornaBaine on January 28, 2018 3:32PM

• Stargazer126
    Stargazer126
    ✭✭
    Will we be able to change the appearance of armor to different classes? For example, could I change the look of my medium armor to light?
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Trxveler Yes. :)
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

EXPECTING SEVERAL HOURS OF DOWNTIME FOR PC/NA.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trxveler wrote: »
    Will we be able to change the appearance of armor to different classes? For example, could I change the look of my medium armor to light?

Technically no but you can create that look in the upcoming slots with this feature.
    Your armor won’t change, the slot will allow you to cover existing armor and use a designated design not limited to typically medium, light heavy rules.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scrap the dye cost. At this moment in time it is putting me off the outfit system.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~