The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Confusion on Spell Crit v Spell Power

Glockcoma725
Glockcoma725
✭✭✭
Hey guys me again. I bet your beginning to hate me and my constant newb musings...

So heres my question for you guys today. I can't decide whether I should be focusing whole heartedly on Spell Power or Spell Crit. I'm mainly running PVE content on a MagDk Pyro and from my google searches between posts here or on reddit, I'm getting completely conflicting posts. Some say focus everything in spell power, others say spell power is better for PVP and do spell crit on PVE. I'm not sure if I should sacrifice one for another, balance both, or what?

I use quite a few DOT fire moves, and have spent quite a bit on Tharmaturge (sic?), but also like to throw in wall of storms and swap in some power lashes for good measure/sustain. Should I be going full crit for the lashes, or damage for the DOT?

What I found over this weekend is if I threw everything I could at Spell Power, I could hit the 3500 range, while if I went the opposite direction I could hit about 60% spell crit. (I'm still learning the build, forgive me if these numbers seem low). Another thing is I have read that Max Magicka both effects, and doesnt effect damage output from different sources. My Max Mag pool sits just over 30k, and I know 40k is what I should be striving for, just struggling to reach that while maintaining damage/crit.

As always, any input is heavily valued. Thanks for reading/replying.
PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
Azog the Defiler DD Warden
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think spell power is out performing crit this patch . @Gilliamtherogue did a number crunch somewhere recently .
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is no correct answer to that. :D
    Generally said: You simply go for what is most available to you. Theoretically a certain stat can be better, however if you have to go out of your way and lose DPS to get it don't do it. For crit the problem currently is that while crit is generally very strong and desirable there are no big sources for it, fivepiece stets for it are bad, precise and thief is rather weak as well. So currently crit is very much welcome as a 1-4 piece bonus, but you generally go more for spelldamge, as its sources are just better currently.
    Edited by FakeFox on January 22, 2018 3:52PM
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's the baseline way to look at it, without CP's or other gear modifiers. It will give you a pretty good indication where the cutoff lays.

For each 1% you increase spell crit, that's 1% additional chance at dealing 50% more damage. This averages out to 0.5% more damage.

With the exception of Light and Heavy attacks (which benefit more from Spell/Weapon Damage) and Pets (which benefit more from max Magicka), most setups will get about 50% of their damage from their max stat, about 50% from their spell/weapon damage. Convert one to the other (again, appoximation) by taking stat divided by 10.5 and adding it to SD/WD, or by taking SD/WD and multiplying by 10.5 and adding to stat.

For example, if you have 31.5k Max magicka and average 2k Spell damage, that works out to be 52,500 equivalent magicka or 5,000 equivalent spell damage.

So you're getting 40% of your damage from the spell damage portion and 60% from the max stat portion.

Comparing two things, figure if you increased your Crit chance by 10%, you'd effectively increase your damage an average of 5% overall.

Compared to Spell damage or max stat, you'd have to raise your equivalent by 5% or an increase of 250. A set / passive that increased your spell damage by 250 or your max stat by 2625 would match the 10% above.

Again, these are only rough, quick calculations to give you a quick comparison. It doesn't factor in CP's, % boosts, or other things like that. Ideally, these will be affected in similar ways, so this is for quick comparison of one set's equivalent vs another.

Think of it kinda like a gear score. It won't tell you what your DPS will be, but it will give you an idea how it may change based on losing set bonus #1 and gaining set bonus #2.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so for mundus stones, should you almost be choose weapon damage for stamina and magic damage for magic
  • WatchYourSixx
    WatchYourSixx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mundus stones for dps is currently warrior or lover for stamina or apprentice or lover for Magicka.

Use lover if the total amount of penetration you typically have on a Target is less than 14000.

Example: my DK can provide 5280 penetration from ele drain, 4884 from the light armor passive plus the 100 base pen, and I assume my group support will provide close to 4k pen. This gives me about 14000 pen, so I chose the lover stone. Note I'm not using any spell Erosion points. Alternatively, i could put close to 40 points into spell Erosion and go with the apprentice Stone.

That's typically how I look at it is if you run lover, don't put points into the pen stars. If you run warrior or apprentice, put points into the pen stars.

As far as the topic at hand... You can look at it this way. Crit is a higher risk, higher reward. Spell power is fixed damage, and with lower risk, but also lower reward in some cases.

You are more likely to do more damage for example, with a Magicka DK using burning spellweave. However, if you run mother's sorrow instead, you can achieve higher dps with good crits. You will probably do more damage 8 times out of 10 with spellweave, but the chance to do more is greater with mother's sorrow..

Just test it yourself and you'll see. An example of this is my most recent test, I had about 45% crit on my power lash, for a maximum hit of 32k and average of 17k. However when I swapped to my mother's sorrow, the dps was comparable and sometimes slightly higher, with a much lower maximum at around 28k, but a higher average of around 24k.

In short, spell power is the safe bet, crit is the risk/reward in my opinion. I like to mix things up sometimes.
    The only thing to fear is, fear itself. - FDR

CP 800
    PC NA

- Maximus the Marksman (AD) Temp
    - Rex the Unstoppable Force (DC) DK
    - Sodor Dragonfire (DC) DK
    - Masha'Dar Shadow-Paw (DC) NB
    - Magnus the Mage (DC) Sorc
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do a dps calculation based on your current parameters.
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the input on everyones part.
    Do a dps calculation based on your current parameters.

As of this weekend with 5pc juli and 5pc mad tinkerer (i'm slowly collecting burning spellweaver, just dont have all 5 pieces yet) I'm averaging 14-19k on my skeleton at home. (Yeah, pretty dismal score). Theres a couple passives I've learned about today that I need to grab, and a different food I'm going to try. Hoping that with all of that, some more CP, and Burning Spellweave I might be able to bring my DPS up a fair bit
    Edited by Glockcoma725 on January 22, 2018 8:24PM
    PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
    Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
    Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
    Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
    Azog the Defiler DD Warden