The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

LUI Extended, want to see damage from siege, but not combat cloud info, can it be done?

Cavedog
Cavedog
✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know a combination of settings with LUI Extended that will show you the damage your siege is doing, but not pollute the entire screen with the combat cloud information? It helps a ton to be able to see if you are actually hitting your target with siege and the damage done, but it's distracting to have the entire combat cloud info displayed.

Maybe in the future LUI Extended could go back to separating these kinds of damage and how it's displayed. I'm just asking to have it work the way it used to.

Thanks for any help.
  • Walting
    Walting
    ✭✭✭
    The latest LUI Extended versions have removed combat text scrolling - the author recommends using Combat Cloud which is also one of his addons.

But can't you just use the ingame combat text instead? Iirc it also shows siege damage.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scrolling combat cloud information is still part of the LUI Exteneded. If I wanted to see all that scrolling combat cloud BS I'd be running one of the other addons that have that. If you turn off the combat cloud info with LUI Extended as it is now, you can not see damage done by siege. ...and if you leave it on, you can't see anything other than scrolling damage/buff information. I hate that stuff. The cleaner interface with LUI Extended is what made it so popular....and I used past tense there in the description on purpose.
  • AllPlayAndNoWork
    AllPlayAndNoWork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stock ESO combat text does I think.
  • ArtOfShred
    ArtOfShred
    ✭✭✭
    Did you prefer when the default formatting used just number values instead of the name and number? You can still do that, just get rid of the %t in the formatting options under the menu settings for the damage messages.

https://puu.sh/z2LbP.jpg

You can change the animation type to cloud as well if you like (if you'd prefer not to have text scrolling on both sides of the screen).

z2Lix.jpg

The style and animation have changed a little since its entirely different code, but there's a ton of formatting options to modify how the text displays.
    Edited by ArtOfShred on January 16, 2018 11:41AM
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post ArtOfShred! Yes, I liked it better with just the number values displayed...but I may be in the minority. I can only say how I like it. I like a really clean interface that's not cluttered up like FTC is by default.

There does seem to be a lot of settings options now, and that I can get the display to show as I'd like if I can get those settings correct.

I've always used LUIE because of it's really clean interface. It's by far my favorite.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond. When the server gets back up I'll mess with this some more and see if I can get it figured out.
  • ArtOfShred
    ArtOfShred
    ✭✭✭
    Cavedog wrote: »
    I like a really clean interface that's not cluttered up like FTC is by default.

I've always used LUIE because of it's really clean interface. It's by far my favorite.

Yeah, it was a bit of jam for me to decide how to approach the SCT - I don't really use SCT outside of incoming damage/healing and notifications for CC/Alerts. I observed a lot of people using FTC's scrolling combat text, or even in some cases people using LUI with the FTC combat text - so I figured a lot of people were leaning more toward that - I guess you could call it, traditional design.

There's also still another method for text I want to create - and I had an old prototype but never pushed it through with the update, where the text basically emulates ZOS style. Damage numbers pop up and stack down, then restack at the top, and they only briefly show. Gives you increased feedback if you want to see ability names and icons but doesn't leave a stack of stuff scrolling all over your screen.
    Edited by ArtOfShred on January 17, 2018 4:56PM
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That idea for the display sounds like it would fit very nicely with the game and not be too much of a distraction. Sounds like a great way to do it to me.

I realize wanting to see siege damage kind of no matter the other settings is a bit strange way to want to have it. With siege though, sometimes you are targeting an area and you don't even know if you're hitting the target if you can't see the damage pop up on screen in some way. ...kind of asking to have it both ways I guess.

Thanks again for the helpful responses and the great add on.
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd have skipped this latest update, had i know what it would do.

i hate the way they changed it. hit my default combat info key after a fight to see my dmg per skill, etc - nothing.

change for the sake of change is what governments, game companies, and other malignant entities do.

i thought add-ons were supposed to help. :/

i realize lui's author changed it b/c combat metrics allegedly does a better job.

unfortunately, it doesn't suit my needs, lui did exactly what i wanted, no more, no less. nice simple summation of the last fight, skills used, and other pertinent data with excellent detail.

sorry to see that capability go. :(

Edited by Lylith on January 19, 2018 3:38PM
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lylith wrote: »
    i'd have skipped this latest update, had i know what it would do.

i hate the way they changed it. hit my default combat info key after a fight to see my dmg per skill, etc - nothing.

change for the sake of change is what governments, game companies, and other malignant entities do.

i thought add-ons were supposed to help. :/

i realize lui's author changed it b/c combat metrics allegedly does a better job.

unfortunately, it doesn't suit my needs, lui did exactly what i wanted, no more, no less. nice simple summation of the last fight, skills used, and other pertinent data with excellent detail.

sorry to see that capability go. :(

Would there ever be an opportunity to get a version of the old LUIE available? I'd kinda like to go back as well. ....I don't want to be ungrateful for what has been, obviously, a lot of hard work. But I did prefer it the way it was. Even if the old version was no longer supported, maybe it could be made available somehow?
  • ArtOfShred
    ArtOfShred
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I would have received a little more well thought out feedback when I had the notice I was removing the Damage Meter & Combat Text from LUI on the page. I appreciate your honestly here guys.

I have considered the possibility of branching out from the LUI name. Perhaps I could revert some of my changes (keeping the new features from UnitFrames, Buffs, CombatInfo, and Chat Announcements) then carve out with a "new" UI addon called ShredUI or something. Not the first time I've considered it - as the name LUI has no significant meaning to me, and perhaps my vision does significantly differ from that of the original vision of Spellbuilder - but we can only speculate on that.

I feel like at this point making a move that big is liable to lose a lot of support and potentially throw a lot of people off (resetting many settings again etc...) but it's not the first time I've thought about it. But I'm not sure, if I hear enough feedback about it I may consider doing it.

EDIT: Also you're welcome to use an old version here: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info818-LuiExtended.html#other
    Just make sure you delete (or backup) your saved variables first as the difference in structure is likely to cause problems.
    Edited by ArtOfShred on January 21, 2018 2:41AM