Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Lizard racing???

MsSvig
MsSvig
Can it be won or is it just in the game to scam fools like me out of their hard earned gold, not to mention the time I've spend running around buying the dammed good for nothing lizards.

So far it has cost me close to 2000 gold and a good half hour just to get seriously annoyed... Anyway back to my question... Can it be won or should I just drop the quest?
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The lizard you can buy from the women in the shed is no good. I went down and found a travelling women on the road (near gate city) which sold me a cheap lizard. It won.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • MsSvig
    MsSvig
    Tried that one didn't do the job. But thanks anyway :) I quit the quest now so I am back to having fun again
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Odd. Yesterday my wife did it also from the same NPC.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    None of those quests actually completed for me. If I picked the correct one, and won, it would reset and make you do it in a perpetual loop.
  • Garion
    Garion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of those quests actually completed for me. If I picked the correct one, and won, it would reset and make you do it in a perpetual loop.

I had the same problem. My lizard won three or four times, but the quest reset and it told me my lizard lost. Annoying.
    Lastobeth - VR16 Sorc - PvP Rank 41 (AD)
    Lastoblyat - VR16 Templar - PvP Rank 14 (AD)
    Ninja Pete - VR16 NB - PvP Rank 10 (AD)
    Labo the Banana Slayer - VR14 Sorc - PvP Rank 12 (EP)

Member of Banana Squad | Officer of Arena
  • dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    Did any of you report this broken quest?
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried this game and I lost a couple of times - went back to the vendor and bought some special food. Then I won.
    - It may be on RNG of course.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    After reading this thread, I just did the race again about 3-4 times in a row with the default lizard. Finally won and didn't spend any money.

Thanks.
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really stupid quest IMO.

Tried the default lizard in the shed with the special food, still lost.

Went to the NPC on the road, bought that lizard, still kept losing.

Then if you leave the chat to race again, you can't use that lizard anymore. You have to buy ANOTHER LIZARD. What a waste of gold and time this quest was...
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be completely random how you can win the race. Do not buy anything! It's a scam!
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Several quests in the game will demand that you spend gold to get through them.
    There's even one where you have to pay a bribe - no way round it, get your purse out.

No doubt there are probably a couple of places where you'll get mugged or scammed by quest NPCs. (If not, there should be :) )

As for the Lizard Race - It's fair. It's a gamble, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. You can swing the odds around a bit but you can't guarantee a win. It's pretty realistic.
    Edited by Censorious on May 25, 2014 3:06PM
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • SootyTX
    SootyTX
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, there are a couple of tricks to this one but its absolutely possible to win without spending a penny.
    Get the free lizard - race it over and over until you win - small chance, can take a while

Get the free lizard - trade it to the khajiit that captures lizards southwwest of Bergama for her spined lizard. Race that one - much higher chance of winning

Now, the key to not having to keep getting a new lizard is....SLOW DOWN ON THE CONVERSATIONS!

When you talk to Rena after losing, let the conversation play out, don't click to skip. Ask why you didn't win, wait for her to answer, then ask if you can get your lizard back, wait for her to answer. By that stage the lizard will have returned to you for another go.

Less haste, more speed, as my mother used to say :)
  • Sorpaijen_ESO
    Sorpaijen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I just went to Sentinel and bought the one there, let it run. Visually, it seemed to be the LAST to cross the finish line, but as I was meandering about talking to other NPCs in the area, I got a notice that my lizard "won" somehow and the quest completed. /shrug Who knows, frankly.

I didn't think/realize/care that it was repeatable as a form of gambling, though. I thought it was just a one-and-done race for the quest.
  • dan0311
    dan0311
    ✭✭✭
    I can verify what SootyTX said, with a couple of notes: You need to make sure you get the original lizard back from Rena before seeking out the Khajit. If you don't, the conversation won't start. She is a short distance out from the city...just follow the West road out to her camp. My upgraded lizard won the first race I entered it in.

And yes, it is [snip] to spend a bunch of gold for a better chance of winning and have it do absolutely no good. Spent a grand, myself. So many stinkin' gold sinks in this game. Sooo many frustrations compared to every other Bethesda game ever. They just keep piling up.

Just sayin...I HATE the subscription model, because ZOS feels compelled to throw in so many time sinks and gold sinks simply to try to get folks to stick around for one...more...month. This stupid quest is just one of many elements of the game that are simply a boring waste of time and effort. I was there on launch day and I paid for six months and when that's up, I'm done. Going back to New Vegas or maybe the DC Wasteland where a machine gun doesn't weigh as much as a grape.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on September 3, 2014 12:50PM
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the whole area of "game show" meta-game quests is populated with unfortunate, stupid, bugged, unplayable, or otherwise annoying activities. Drinking contests. Mock tournaments with 6 people sounding like thousands cheering. Challenge fights with no point or challenge to them. Lizard races, frog races (or did they pull that one?), wind races (a particularly stupid one in Alik'r Desert)... and then there's the foot races... oy.

As a category, ZOS could pull every one of them and I think the game would be better for it. If they could get the mechanics right, so that they actually, you know, worked, that would be one thing. But many of them have been bugged from Day One.

Every time I encounter one, instead of feeling challenged, I'm like, good grief, not this again...

Just one man's opinion.

And yes, this is going into my next /feedback in-game. I suppose it goes without saying that we all should be doing that more if we aren't already.
    Edited by Srugzal on September 3, 2014 1:00PM
  • jokerman2018
    jokerman2018
    Soul Shriven
    If you race and then sit and wait you will win.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy necro mackerel... Four years, that's got to be the necro record so far on this forum. Reported so it can be locked.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • ZOS_KatP
    ZOS_KatP
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there,

Since this thread is quite old, we've decided to close it. If you'd like to start a new discussion, please feel free to do so!

Thanks!
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.