Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Daggerfall overlook or mathiisen manor?

Rebirthment
Rebirthment
✭✭✭✭
I always wanted to own a home and customize it to my liking (even though that'll cost a fortune + no experience), but IMO, most houses I don't really like. Be it either too dark and dim, even with lights added, too small, or not my liking.

Recently, I've been interested in two locations, Daggerfall overlook and Mathiisen manor.

At first, I l wanted to always buy Mathiisen manor, because I really like the white washed stone, and bright environment. Which causes the house to be much less 'dim looking' in my opinion. Eventually, I started to see some of the flaws that came with the home. A few examples being:
  • Small front yard
  • Lack of rooms
  • Interior feels like it's mostly just hallways (contributed from previous bullet point)
This brings me to my next choice: Daggerfall Overlook.

I feel as if I should buy this house the moment I am able to. Largely because of the Breton type architecture and how my main character I play along with previous Elder scrolls games tends to be a Breton.

I really like the big courtyard, and the fact that it comes with a set of stables, and small 'workshop' area next to the manor itself. Another thing I really like is that the interior has rooms and a nice amount of them. Which helps the house not feel like a bundle of hallways such as the previous manor.

One aspect I like that actually doesn't have to do with manor is the location itself. It's not too far, but not too close or inside a city itself. I love the peaceful and quiet road that you take before you enter the city of Daggerfall.

A few things I don't like about this manor:
  • The dark colored stone, which causes the manor and its walls to be somewhat gaunt, and looks similar to that of a vampire themed exterior.
  • The trapdoor in the 'basement' shouldn't really be there. The shore is nothing but the ocean itself.
  • The high walls within the watchtower, blocks the nice view you could possibly get if they were removed.

Now that I explained quite a bit on the pros and cons of each home, what do you think I should get it?
Edited by Rebirthment on January 15, 2018 6:16AM
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The daggerfall overlook my first home and my favorite. I seen people do some amazing and creative things with that trap door and ocean part.

It is dark even with a lot of lights inside but you kind of just have to work with it some how like use it to ur advantage.
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all honesty? If you narrowed it down to these two, and you mostly play a Breton, I would go with Daggerfall Overlook. It i a lovely manor, and even I personally like the location. Sure, the trapdoor leads out to open water, but that CAN be modified with a pier and whatnot, if done right. Yeah, the high walls in the watchtower blocking the view of the city's a downside, but not an overly big downside.

The main draw of Mathiisen Manor, in my opinion, i that it is incredibly large for a home that isn't actually a manor, meaning it is much cheaper, even if you get it fully furnished! However, you will get less furnishing slots. So if have the crowns to spend, I would go with Daggerfall Overlook.

Also, if you haven't seen Princely Dawnlight Palace yet, I would suggest taking a peak at it. In my opinion, it puts pretty much every other home in the game to shame. XP
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all honesty? If you narrowed it down to these two, and you mostly play a Breton, I would go with Daggerfall Overlook. It i a lovely manor, and even I personally like the location. Sure, the trapdoor leads out to open water, but that CAN be modified with a pier and whatnot, if done right. Yeah, the high walls in the watchtower blocking the view of the city's a downside, but not an overly big downside.

The main draw of Mathiisen Manor, in my opinion, i that it is incredibly large for a home that isn't actually a manor, meaning it is much cheaper, even if you get it fully furnished! However, you will get less furnishing slots. So if have the crowns to spend, I would go with Daggerfall Overlook.

Also, if you haven't seen Princely Dawnlight Palace yet, I would suggest taking a peak at it. In my opinion, it puts pretty much every other home in the game to shame. XP

That new palace looks like a city being so huge and it’s bright with a lot of fountains and pools one of which you can swim in. I would suggest you check the pts or some of the videos in the housing forum.
    Edited by Krainor1974 on January 15, 2018 11:19AM
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That new palace looks like a city being so huge and it’s bright with a lot of fountains and pools one of which you can sell in. I would suggest you check the pts or some of the videos in the housing forum.

Yeah, if you don't mind to spend crowns, that place is astoundingly beautiful. There is just that 700 item limit (assuming eso+), which means it will perpetually look unfinished...
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭

That new palace looks like a city being so huge and it’s bright with a lot of fountains and pools one of which you can swim in. I would suggest you check the pts or some of the videos in the housing forum.
    Leandor wrote: »

That new palace looks like a city being so huge and it’s bright with a lot of fountains and pools one of which you can sell in. I would suggest you check the pts or some of the videos in the housing forum.

Yeah, if you don't mind to spend crowns, that place is astoundingly beautiful. There is just that 700 item limit (assuming eso+), which means it will perpetually look unfinished...

Yeah, I've actually checked that palace and it is really beautiful and quite large. Though unfortunately, I'm not in redguard style architecture.

Still, Ill be honest and say that it's probably the most luxurious home I think ZOS has worked on so far.
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭

I have seen some people make piers down there, though I'm not quite sure if I should, depending on if I happen to reach the item limit when decorating if I were to purchase the manor.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean, looking at the interior size, I'll probably hit item limit halfway through putting down carpets...

Yes, I know about my carpet fetish....
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    I mean, looking at the interior size, I'll probably hit item limit halfway through putting down carpets...

Yes, I know about my carpet fetish....

Yep, carpets. One of the most important pieces of furniture to make a home more cozy :)
  • Aleraon
    Aleraon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind daggerfall overlook myself. Looks nice and, if I remember rightly, comes with the Lord or lady title for your character
    (EU/AD) CP501 Razum-dah - Khajiiti Templar Healer
    (EU/AD) CP501 J'Kara Silverclaw - Khajiiti Dragonknight tank
    (EU/AD) CP501 Rajhiin - Khajiiti stamina Nightblade
    (EU/AD) CP501 Draven Corvillian - Breton magicka Nightblade
    (EU/AD) CP501 Sinderian Nightflame - High Elf magicka sorcerer
    (EU/AD) CP501 J'zargo Silverclaw - Khajiit stamina Templar
    (EU/AD) CP501 Ariella Nightshade - High Elf Magicka Nightblade
    (EU/AD) CP501 Ri'shada - Khajiit Stamina Sorcerer
    (EU/AD) LVL29 Valeon Indoril - Dark Elf Magicka Dragonknight
    *The Queen stole this one's moonsugar candies lol*
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mournoth Keep or Forsaken Stronghold are the ones I would choose between. Mournoth getting the nod because the WS proximity.

Both have the lighter stone, there is lore supporting a Breton taking over Orc stuff. And they have a lighter stone that you like.

BTW, I have the Daggerfall Overlook. I use it as a warehouse for my furniture.
    Edited by Nestor on January 16, 2018 5:35PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aleraon wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind daggerfall overlook myself. Looks nice and, if I remember rightly, comes with the Lord or lady title for your character

@Aleraon

Yes it does. The Countess/Count is for all 3

I was mistaken

Edited by Nestor on January 17, 2018 1:20AM

• Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really want a biiig home but I'm such a flake, I only have witches cottage and it's like not done at all other than some chairs, one enchanting station, some pets, some lights and a skooma bubbler on a table by the chairs xD
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really want the coldharbor one.
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Mournoth Keep or Forsaken Stronghold are the ones I would choose between. Mournoth getting the nod because the WS proximity.

Both have the lighter stone, there is lore supporting a Breton taking over Orc stuff. And they have a lighter stone that you like.

BTW, I have the Daggerfall Overlook. I use it as a warehouse for my furniture.

Im not really into those types of homes. Which is why ive managed to bring it down to two houses im having trouble deciding.
  • Eatmyface
    Eatmyface
    ✭✭✭
    Go with your gut feeling.

I bought a while Linchal and HATED it. I bought it because it was exclusive and I was "running out of time". good old limited time offers snaring people. Lol. No wayshrine or stable close by and I don't really like the Gold Coast - it feels barren.

Now I have Daggerfall Overlook fully decorated and love it. I built a second story in the barn, a huge deck on the other side of the battlements and a dock down by the water. I need to make a video tour of it cos I put quite a lot of time into perfecting and/or magnifying some of the ideas I poached from other peoples videos.

I've seen videos of people decorating the interior with plants, flowers, hanging wall greenery etc and it brightens things up a lot.

Daggerfall is a cool centre and, as you mentioned, the ride there is quite nice too. I park my alts at the stables just outside of the town.

EDITED:

@Nestor I've got the Lord title and only own DO...
    Edited by Eatmyface on January 16, 2018 9:48PM
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aleraon

It gives 1/3 the credit. IIRC, you need all 3 manors and to visit all 3 of them to get the title. At least that is how I get the title.

Daggerfall Overlook does give the Lord/Lady title. It is the Count/Countess title that requires all three.

I would definitely choose Daggerfall overlook, personally!
    ->--Willow--<-
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Livvy wrote: »

@Aleraon

It gives 1/3 the credit. IIRC, you need all 3 manors and to visit all 3 of them to get the title. At least that is how I get the title.

Daggerfall Overlook does give the Lord/Lady title. It is the Count/Countess title that requires all three.

I would definitely choose Daggerfall overlook, personally!

Thanks for clarifying. I ran all my mains through all three in a short period of time when housing launched.

• emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    based on the info already said, I think it might also come down to which house style/culture you prefer or want. I have a bias for altmer stuff. The altmer house style is much more of my style, although I understand the concern of the Mathiisen Manor feeling like a house of hallways instead of rooms.
    I don't own Mathiisen, but I own the large khajiit house/Dawnshadow and 700 (eso plus) item slots is plenty, and Mathiisen is about the same size as Dawnshadow. I only use about 350 of the slots in Dawnshadow and my house and yard are fairly full.
    I also like the hillside (?) location of Mathiisen and the Auridon environment. Daggerfall Overlook is too big for my style. I would only want to use it as a guild hall.
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer