Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

DK Healer Vet Trials ?

Saebira
Saebira
Has anyone seen it done? Can it be done? Does anyone even play DK healers in more difficult content?

I guess I'm stuck between wanting to be a healer and wanting to be a DK. It's a little sad that Templars are still the best since launch, I kinda hoped the others would at least be viable but from what I've been told DK is the worst you could be.

I love healing/supporting in games but I am so tired of the generic LIGHT healers that so many MMOs use, I don't enjoy Priests/Paladins. Nature is done a lot too, I played a Druid for years (EQ/WoW). I just feel like I'll regret missing out on playing a DK because I find them so interesting and unique..but everyone is telling me play anything else but DK healer.

I've got a Templar made now but I just don't know.

Someone give me hope?
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All classes can heal and do even the hardest content, but if you aren't a Templar or Warden, it'll be much harder.

DK's have rather poor natural healing abilities (Obsidian Shard is strong but heals the unit closest to the target, Cauterize is more like a HoT), but they do have access to Major Mending and group shields as well as access to Major Brutality and Sorcery for your group. They do not have access to any form of natural resource regen for the group, so unlocking Necrotic Orb would be a must, or a debuff cleanse, so Purge would be a good skill to unlock. If you're running with mag DK's that aren't running Engulfing Flames, you could as it increases all fire damage done to targets hit, you can run Chains if grouping of trash or adds is needed or Choking Talons to hold enemies still and reduce the damage they deal.

It's not a matter of can't so much as it is a matter of your making things harder on yourself and your group. If you want to make a DK healer, go for it. If you're good at healing people shouldn't really care too much. Just pay no attention to the tchukus heads that complain from the start of seeing a DK healer.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • Saebira
    Saebira
    @Froil

Thanks for taking the time to answer and explain everything! It sounds like things are mostly still the same and Templar is just the way to go.. or not heal at all lol

• exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saebira wrote: »
    @Froil

Thanks for taking the time to answer and explain everything! It sounds like things are mostly still the same and Templar is just the way to go.. or not heal at all lol

Having healed vet hm trials as the primary healer as magNB, i reject this statement. If you arent pushing for top 10 leader board positions (which the biggest obstacle there isnt even healer class mechanics but rather player mentality but i wont get into that here) then all 5 of the healers in the game are capable. Plain and simple.

More specifically to your inquiry. Of the 5 healers, DKs do struggle the most. And im saying this as someone that has taken the necessary measures to test this in a practical environment. Im fortunate enough to have trial buddies who are willing and capable.

Dk healer stengths primarily include the benefit of major mending uptime and/or on demand. They also possess the OPTION of freeing up ability bar or potion slot by offering major brut and sorc to thei entire group. This is situational ofc. Many people in here while talk down cauterize, and those same people should be ignored. The skill functions as a form of passive triage healing. Its not there to save lives in an emergency (even though it does), it is a layered healing ability that is dirt cheap and heals for a healthy chunk. It is a supplement to healing uptime that does not suffer from overhealing due to its interval speed.

Obsidian shard heals for a respectable chunk, and despite popular belief, the reach of its heal is a non factor anymore than other single target burst heals. It heals an ally within 28 meters which is more than enough. Its still too expensive for its own good imo.

There is always a case for orbs vs shards. Both share a synergy cd but have differing application strengths. Templars shard is quick and can be placed where you need it. It is only a single use per cast however so to reach the same amount of players that you could with orbs, the templar would have to suspend outgoing healing for a longer window of time. Orbs, while much slower, can reach multiple players while allowing the healer to continue healing uptime.

Outside of dk specific healing tools, its all the same. Springs or rapid regen depending on content and group size. Resto staff passives bemefit them just as much a the templar. Templar passives hardly benefit healing output beyond breath of life. Their minor mending uptime helps them where dks major mending helps them. Templars do have an advantage of an additional synergy via ritual however.

When you run the numbers, healing per second values between nb warden and templar are actually VARY much on par with one another, this isnt an opinion. Sorc and dk are slightly behind unless they run healers habit or sanctuary. It isnt that big of a discrepancy though. The biggest issue for dk healer i have come to realise when healing high amounts of trial wide damage was sustain. But with proper practice of nailing mountains blessing timing via igneous shield should help.
  • Saebira
    Saebira
    @exeeter702

So after everyone telling me to play Templar because DK is useless, I did make a Templar. Got it 15 or so then remembered why I hate the class, same as last time I made one. Just doesn't appeal to me. Figured I could either go warden if I want to heal or go DPS DK.

Now have a 22 healer DK.

I'm glad you replied with so much info, though, thanks!
    I'm still new to ESO group content, so I've been learning as I go. Unfortunately trying to find a DK healer guide that isn't a year old has been hard. I've been reading Templar/Warden guides and trying to learn from that.

One question I have though, I see DK shield was nerfed from 6s it used to be, and the tank DK shield is going to overwrite mine. The skill is still worthwhile even with the downsides? It seems kinda clunky to me because of the 5s weak shield but then only 3s healing boost. I was trying to use it preemptively I guess, I would make sure everyone had a regen, then popped shield before the aoe went out and then the buff+regen would usually top them off. I feel like I have to spam it during dmg to keep the 3s going.

I think shards could be interesting in dungeons, but it does cost a ton and the heal seems a little weird. It's definitely not a smartheal, right? It seems to target whoever is closest to the mob.

Igneous weapons + blessing + prayer seems like a really nice combo buff,but does the tank normally do this then or why do you say it's situational?

If you have any advice for builds/gear I'd love to have it! I'm trying to learn as I go on a subpar heals, I need all the help I can get.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saebira wrote: »
    @exeeter702

So after everyone telling me to play Templar because DK is useless, I did make a Templar. Got it 15 or so then remembered why I hate the class, same as last time I made one. Just doesn't appeal to me. Figured I could either go warden if I want to heal or go DPS DK.

Now have a 22 healer DK.

I'm glad you replied with so much info, though, thanks!
    I'm still new to ESO group content, so I've been learning as I go. Unfortunately trying to find a DK healer guide that isn't a year old has been hard. I've been reading Templar/Warden guides and trying to learn from that.

One question I have though, I see DK shield was nerfed from 6s it used to be, and the tank DK shield is going to overwrite mine. The skill is still worthwhile even with the downsides? It seems kinda clunky to me because of the 5s weak shield but then only 3s healing boost. I was trying to use it preemptively I guess, I would make sure everyone had a regen, then popped shield before the aoe went out and then the buff+regen would usually top them off. I feel like I have to spam it during dmg to keep the 3s going.

I think shards could be interesting in dungeons, but it does cost a ton and the heal seems a little weird. It's definitely not a smartheal, right? It seems to target whoever is closest to the mob.

Igneous weapons + blessing + prayer seems like a really nice combo buff,but does the tank normally do this then or why do you say it's situational?

If you have any advice for builds/gear I'd love to have it! I'm trying to learn as I go on a subpar heals, I need all the help I can get.

Ingenous sheild will be overwritten by a dk tanks higher valued one, something i take issue with, igneous sheild should have a magicka scaling version so dk healers can offer preventative mitigation to groups. However the reason you slot it is for ultimate generation via mountains blessing and major mending. Its only 3 seconds but its easy to pop a shield and then combat prayer crit and heal multiple players or weave igneous in between healing springs stack to bolster the hot for the duration.

As far as gear goes, there is little difference between thr healers. Its SPC or bust for starters. After you have that covered, your choices are usually worm, healing mage, healers habit, architect. Any healing guide in regards to gearing applies to dk.

Honestly, the biggest hurdle you are going to face later on is player skepticism. Most dont understand the mechanics and tools provided in this game to allow non templar healers to perfom. The problem is that dk healers are weaker of the 5 and are in need of a buff, but the difference is not that large, and you are especially ok for pre vet dungeon content and leveling.

The proper mentality to have is understaning there are 5 healers in this game a few of them are in a stronger spot than the others however.

The problem is most harbor the mentality of there is only one and a half intended healers in the game and anything else is an attempt at being a snowflake.

Sad really.