Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Hard crashes

estrong20b14_ESO
Completely shuts my computer down. Every time I play for a few minutes, for no apparent reason. Server isn't busy. My elec tech son can't find anything wrong with my computer. He played his game (not ESO) on my computer last night for four hours, no crashes.
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My game, not computer, crashed about 5 times yesterday for no apparent reason. I just take it as part of the experience at this point.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
    Options
  • eric1961
    eric1961
    Soul Shriven
    Multiple disconnects today with high latency 687 - 999+
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    If you are experiencing random crashes while playing ESO, the first thing you can do is go through the troubleshooting in this help article. If none of the troubleshooting steps stop the game from crashing, you can contact customer support for further help.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your entire computer is shutting down, it's a problem with the computer. There are widespread issues with the application crashing to desktop, but the entire PC crashing is altogether different.

As for why it only happens with eso and not other games, it's probably the way your system handles components of the application. Perhaps your video or audio hardware or drivers are poorly optimized or out of date, causing critical faults when handling eso processes, maybe it's a Direct X issue, maybe something else entirely, but it's most certainly something to be resolved on your end.

People will tell you to make sure your drivers are current, which is generally good advice, but some updates cause instability, and it's best to roll back until the company scrambles to publish a fix (looking at you, nvidia). See what updates have been installed since your game was last stable. If none, see if there are updates available.

And make sure you have adequate cooling. ESO on high graphics settings can make your gpu run very hot, and some systems have a hardware shutdown setting to protect against permanent damage.

Good luck.
    Edited by Reverb on January 8, 2018 5:00PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • estrong20b14_ESO
    My problem was not my computer. I reinstalled ESO and seem now to have no problem.
    Options