The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Backbar sorc curse damage calculation

Subversus
Subversus
✭✭✭✭✭
Does sorc curse still do less damage if on a backbar resto staff as opposed to destro?

I read that shalks on warden calculates the damage when it actually explodes, and I wonder if they changed curse to do the same?
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not tested lately, but I'm reasonably sure it uses your stats at the time it explodes (ie mag, spell power) but takes the trait from the weapon equipped at the time it was cast (I think that includes weapon passives too like twin blade n blunt).

Not 100% sure though.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely calculated with currently equipped stats. IE, if you cast it from resto bar but it explodes with inferno staff in hands, it'll deal more damage.

Dunno about trait, I got infused berserker enchant on my resto.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Curse will take into account all the stats and passives active when it explodes except for penetration.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    Curse will take into account all the stats and passives active when it explodes except for penetration.

Interesting. So my curse cast on an infused resto will explode with damage based on the front bar nirn fire staff + destro passives and all that? What about penetration, how does that come into play when both weapons are magicka and have the same pen on both bars?

Actually I'll just test it myself when I come home tomorrow... >_<
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    Not tested lately, but I'm reasonably sure it uses your stats at the time it explodes (ie mag, spell power) but takes the trait from the weapon equipped at the time it was cast (I think that includes weapon passives too like twin blade n blunt).

Not 100% sure though.

I think this is correct. On MagWarden I use Fissure on the Lighting Staff and switch to resto staff before it explodes. It still takes the damage boost from Lightning staff but uses the resto bar’s total stats when it explodes and that bar has Northern Storm and Magelight.

If I replace the Lightning staff with an Ice staff it hits for noticeably less. And if I remove the Magelight from the resto bar it will crit far less when it explodes.

I’m pretty sure Curse behaves the same. Takes the weapons traits and passives from the casting bar, but uses the total stats at the time of explosion.

Edited by Maulkin on January 1, 2018 8:57AM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've tested it a few months ago checking just the trait - identical sharp vs no trait staves and it was weird. The value it was exploding for when cast from sharp backbar then swapping to no trait frontbar was consistently somewhere in between the numbers I'd get from either frontbar only or backbar only. Out of the skills I tested it was the only one that behaved that way. Not sure about high staff damage(resto vs non resto). Tbh your best bet is to check it yourself on a target dummy, this stuff is extremely weird and inconsistent in ESO.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm back at home and tested a bit.
    Curse takes 100% damage and passives from the bar when it explodes.

It inflicted exactly the same damage when cast from my resto and switched to inferno, as it did when directly casted from inferno.

The same was true for traits. Putting my nirnhoned inferno on the back and infused one on the front, the damage was always the same on front explosion, regardless of cast bar.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

It inflicted exactly the same damage when cast from my resto and switched to inferno, as it did when directly casted from inferno.

The same was true for traits. Putting my nirnhoned inferno on the back and infused one on the front, the damage was always the same on front explosion, regardless of cast bar.

^^^
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

This is amazing information. Now I truly find 0 reason not to backbar curse, especially for my playstyle with streak frontbar.