The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Free travels with Silt Striders

Gargath
Gargath
✭✭✭✭✭
The question is, why the Wayshrine travels cost gold, but not the Silt Striders. Who pays the drivers for their work?
It's illogical, considering these bugs have drivers, who must eat, drink and keep the bugs in good condition.

If a decision was mine, I'd removed all wayshrines from Vvardenfell and left only silt striders.
PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Malkorga
    Malkorga
    ✭✭✭
    Wayshrines do not cost gold unless you are porting to one from the middle of nowhere
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, good point :).
    I should form my question this way: why travelling on silt strider costs no gold at all?
    It's not a magical teleportation but riding on real creature which has a wagoner who must earn to live and take care of it's mount :). I.e who in Vvardenfell sponsors the silt strider journeys, Vivec maybe?
    Edited by Gargath on January 5, 2018 8:31PM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • taiyoukei
    taiyoukei
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is a silt strider caravaner's log near the station in Vos that mentions people paying to use the silt striders for either transporting people or goods.
    As for why you don't pay in-game I have no clue. The most likely cause is due to having to pay to port to wayshrines and the devs wanted to give people a cost-free, yet lore friendly way of getting around Vvardenfell.
    "Taffer!"
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Navigators in the game don't charge either.

You know all those taxes and fees you pay in, like repair costs and guild store taxes, that is what pays for the transport system.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note: the following post contains some spoilers for Morrowind.

For most people on Vvardenfell, the year was marked by momentous events. Baar Dau nearly fell from the sky, sparing them only by Lord Vivec's grace. Red Mountain almost exploded before Lord Vivec pacified the furious volcano once more.

But for the silt strider caravaneers, it was the year no one got paid.

So many outlanders running around claiming to be on Lord Vivec's business. So many people claiming to be outlanders claiming to be on Lord Vivec's business. And no one wanted to pay for a trip on the silt strider.

Well, no longer. The last year had been the year of Baar Dau and Red Mountain, the rise of the Morag Tong and the scandals in House Redoran and Telvanni. No matter. This year would be the year the silt strider caravaneers demanded payment!
    Edited by VaranisArano on January 5, 2018 10:31PM
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The Navigators in the game don't charge either.
    You know all those taxes and fees you pay in, like repair costs and guild store taxes, that is what pays for the transport system.

Somehow hard to imagine there is some organisation that share all the gold from repairs and guild stores between so many parties. Easier to imagine the Navigators and Caravaneers are maintained by local lords who stimulate their local economies by giving free rides :).
    Edited by Gargath on January 5, 2018 10:36PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those Repair people pay taxes on the fees.

Everyone pays taxes. Everyone. You can not avoid the Tax Man or the Grim Reaper forever.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Foryn Gilnith avoided the Tax Man by killing him. He then proceeded to kill my Nerevarine, so he got away.

Until I reloaded.

Twice.