Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Free crown crates... for ESO+ members only

coop500
coop500
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I know not everyone looks at the news page, so here: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26283?Earn-Free-Crown-Crates-or-Trial-ESO-Plus-During-Our-Bonus-Event

We get a free trial of ESO+ or free crown crates if you're already a ESO+ member.

I admit I am a little bummed, but then I come to figure I just got spoiled the last two times of being given crates for non-ESO+. With the upcoming outfit change, this softens the blow to me. All in all, crates often poke me in the eye anyway lol.
Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how they do ESO+ trials. ZOS chooses to 'compensate' existing subscribers for their inability to participate with free crates, rather than with free days tacked onto their sub.

It's quite clever, really; the free ESO+ trial is the taste ESO- players need to get hooked, while the existing subs get crates to prime their hunger for that revenue treadmill.
    Edited by pauli133 on January 5, 2018 5:43PM
    Options
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    pauli133 wrote: »
    This is how they do ESO+ trials. ZOS chooses to 'compensate' existing subscribers for their inability to participate with free crates, rather than with free days tacked onto their sub.

Would you guys rather have the free days or the crates? Just curious
    Options
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's great that they are doing this. Those who aren't eso+ can benefit from it temporarily, while the rest of us who are eso+ can receive free crates as an added benefit for the short time.
    Edited by Rebirthment on January 5, 2018 5:43PM
    Options
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    coop500 wrote: »

Free days please, not interested in crates.
    Options
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They are giving crates like candy recently. Sure its to get you hooked, but if you can control yourself, then its a nice gift.

Normal log in, ESO+ event, leveling next patch etc.
    Edited by ak_pvp on January 5, 2018 5:47PM
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
    Options
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For me they're just nice gifts, considering I've been getting crap from most then self control is not a issue for me
    Options
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even see when the event begins cause it keeps bumping me back to the front page whenever I put in the age date
    Options
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    I can't even see when the event begins cause it keeps bumping me back to the front page whenever I put in the age date

Copied from the news article.

"The ESO Plus Bonus Event will begin at 10:00AM EST on Tuesday, January 9 and run until 10:00AM EST on Monday, January 15. During the event, ESO Plus members can earn up to six free Crown Crates just by logging into the game. If you're not already a member, join us to enjoy select benefits of ESO Plus completely free."
    Options
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok, so we don't have to kill anything just login every day
    Options
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭
    Free days are better but I guess it's a bit complicated to be added.

Anyway, I don't have problem with free crates because I don't need to buy keys to open them and I type this because I play Dota 2, TF 2 and so on... And I don't care about crates economy in any game anyways, so yea, it's ok if I get something cool from opening them and if I don't - who cares :).
    I don't play ESO since 15.06. because Cyrodiil is broken since Summerset (PvE isn't much better, too)...

Aldmeri Dominion (PC Europe via Steam)

The cowardly Wood Elves are best noted for their unwillingness to engage in a face-to-face attack; a Bosmer will strike at you from every side except the front. You won't cross swords with a Bosmer, but you might catch an arrow in the throat. Be wary in forests and jungles, and watch your back.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't bother me either way. Neither the extra days nor the free crate contents would be of any real significance, in that I wouldn't notice an extra couple of days tacked on to the end of a 6 month subscription and have no interest in the contents of the crates. On balance, I'd probably prefer the crates simply because I never buy them, so when they're given free it's just a bit of fun. Personally, however, I'd far rather have a compulsory subscription and abolish crowns together with the store and crates they relate to - but that particular ship has sailed, sadly.
    Options
  • jlboozer
    jlboozer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its great that ZoS gives free crates occasionally. I must admit that I was a little upset when they introduced crates into ESO, because I thought you had no hope of earning the items in game. But ZoS's generosity of the occasional free crates has shown me they're not as greedy as most company's are with crates...and they don't seem to be watering down gameplay to push crates like most(aka Star Wars). Good job ZoS on the way you handle the crate situation, I will be a customer for many years to come...I might even actually buy a crate or two even though I usually don't support loot boxes.
    Options
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    id rather have an extra free week of eso+ tacked on.
    or in game motifs or rare items.

In fact, ANYTHING BUT crown crates. Crown crates are a joke and i dont really want anything from them anyway.

Though I dont really feel like I need anything because i'm missing out on the free eso+ event though. Just that the current reward is annoying. My reward is being able to do dlc dungeons with friends that dont have the dlcs.
    Options
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's quite clever, really; the free ESO+ trial is the taste ESO- players need to get hooked, while the existing subs get crates to prime their hunger for that revenue treadmill.

It is also a clever marketing move.

As lots of non eso+ members will buy 1 month subscription just for the sake of those crates.
    Options
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I haven't got anything valuable for me from the former crates, I'd get the free days instead, thanks. Or an imperial warmount :D
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me they're just nice gifts, considering I've been getting crap from most then self control is not a issue for me
    I got an nice reward last time, an 150% xp scroll I sold for 33 gems who with the gems I had left over from last crate session let my buy the two items I was interested in
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only problem with them doing this is it's a bit early for me.

I only subscribe when I have a new character and/or lots of new costumes to dye. I do have a new character at the moment, but I keep restarting her because I can't seem to get her face just right, and with the recent announcement of level up rewards I was going to wait until the next update before playing her so I could get the low level rewards without having to buy a new character slot. Now I'm torn between doing that or starting her and at least getting through the tutorial so I can go to town and dye her costumes.

But I guess the level 2 and 3 rewards will be nothing special, so I'll probably just start her during the event so I can dye her costumes.

Although there's nothing I really like in the Flame crates anyway (I'd actually hate to get the mounts because I'd never use them, but it'd seem like a waste not to) and they seem to be doing these free crates things frequently, so maybe I'll just skip this one and subscribe next time.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

6 free days = approximately $0.50 per day or approximately $3 total
    6 crates = 400 crowns each or between 2300 and 2400 crowns total depending on how they're purchased (approximate value $18.99 to $19.99)

It's all right to protest the crates on principle, but the crates have a higher objective value as a prize as they are more expensive to obtain normally. And I'm not sure the free ESO+ days would have a higher subjective value if you do the same things during those free days that you would do while normally subscribed.

And maybe that's the point. Maybe the point in all of this is to prove that ESO+ is already a really good value for what you receive, making it much harder to argue the crates as an inferior value.

Now, given the choice between the 6 crates and 2400 crowns (rounding up as it wouldn't be fair to prorate 2300 across six days), that's a more interesting debate. With 2400 crowns you could either buy that extra character slot and have 900 extra crowns to play around with, or you could buy 6 crates. So I'd argue bonus crowns as the best type of compensation for promotions like this.

Not only because of their flexibility, but because 2400 extra crowns might convince more people to subscribe so it would actually be a win for ZOS.
    signing off
    Options
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    My only problem with them doing this is it's a bit early for me.

I only subscribe when I have a new character and/or lots of new costumes to dye. I do have a new character at the moment, but I keep restarting her because I can't seem to get her face just right, and with the recent announcement of level up rewards I was going to wait until the next update before playing her so I could get the low level rewards without having to buy a new character slot. Now I'm torn between doing that or starting her and at least getting through the tutorial so I can go to town and dye her costumes.

But I guess the level 2 and 3 rewards will be nothing special, so I'll probably just start her during the event so I can dye her costumes.

Although there's nothing I really like in the Flame crates anyway (I'd actually hate to get the mounts because I'd never use them, but it'd seem like a waste not to) and they seem to be doing these free crates things frequently, so maybe I'll just skip this one and subscribe next time.

Keep in mind that the PTS and accompanying patch notes will be out on Monday. We were promised a full list of the level-up rewards, so you can check that out ahead of time and make your decision accordingly before the ESO+ trial starts on Tuesday.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
    Options
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did this with the dwarven crates last summer. We got 5 free crates that time, so this is slightly more generous. I'll take free crates! More gems to buy something I might want later on.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
    Options
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are people complaining about free stuff? Don't want the crates out of some principle? Don't open them. Simple. Nothing has changed for you, you have lost nothing.

For the rest of us,free six new crates is highly welcomed! Even if you don't buy crown crates, opening these could give you a cool mount, costume or pet!

ZOS doesn't owe us any free crates yet they keep offering us them for free during promotions. I see no reason at all to complain, rather I'm quite happy.
    Options
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people complaining about free stuff? Don't want the crates out of some principle? Don't open them. Simple. Nothing has changed for you, you have lost nothing.

For the rest of us,free six new crates is highly welcomed! Even if you don't buy crown crates, opening these could give you a cool mount, costume or pet!

ZOS doesn't owe us any free crates yet they keep offering us them for free during promotions. I see no reason at all to complain, rather I'm quite happy.

Was someone complaining in this thread? I mean I wuldn't be surprised but...
    Options
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Was someone complaining in this thread? I mean I wuldn't be surprised but...

Yes

Look towards upper middle

Options