Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Morrowind New Character Start

Matthew_P671
Matthew_P671
Soul Shriven
I have just created a new character, and when I start the game, I begin in Morrowind as I am supposed to. However, I would like to begin my character normally (on Khenarthi's Roost) and return to Morrowind when I am a higher level. I would just use the Wayshrine to go to Khenarthi's Roost, but I don't want to mess up the game. Does anyone know how to start normally, not in Morrowind?
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your quest journal... you should have one that mentions a "hooded man." Follow that quest to find your way back to your faction's main quest.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you own Morrowind all new character start in Morrowind with no choice (I know, a lot of us hate it too).

However you can port to one of the major cities from the old zones and start a quest which will make you do the old tutorial and start the old main quest line.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Matthew_P671
    Matthew_P671
    Soul Shriven
    Turelus wrote: »
    If you own Morrowind all new character start in Morrowind with no choice (I know, a lot of us hate it too).

However you can port to one of the major cities from the old zones and start a quest which will make you do the old tutorial and start the old main quest line.

Thank you
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you can only pick up the quest in your own Alliance's capital, although I've only checked it on the PTS before release.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Sir_Rennik
    Sir_Rennik
    Soul Shriven
    Turelus wrote: »

Thank you... that is definitely good to hear. I got ESO during Christmas, and my main Wood Elf character is level 21 now.... but I'm getting tired of the Vvardenfell area. I've already done a couple of the "hooded figure" main quests, so might port to the Aldemeri starting zone and do some of the early-game content from that area.
  • KnightfallZX2
    @Matthew_P671 I was told to take a wayshrine or boat from Vvardenfell to nearly anywhere else. Once you arrive at another location, you'll be greeted by a hooded individual. Do as he/she says, and there's where your main quest will begin.

I'd done this after I reached level 14 and wished I'd known this sooner - I'm really enjoying the main quest! (Also feels a bit more linear and less complex than the quests on Vvardenfell.
    PSN: KnightfallZX2 | Server: NA
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just in case you didn't find the Hooded figure that happened to me once, someone on the forum here told me to check her out on the boat on the upper side since she is sitting down eating. I believe it's the boat on the right side when walking toward the docks when you are in Vulkhel Guard.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can actually start at Khenarthi's Roost if you want to. Just take a wayshrine there and start playing.

One thing, though. When you DO start the main quest-line (which begins with the hooded, robed woman talking about her "benefactor" as others mentioned), at the end of the first part of that quest (the "Wailing Prison quest), it'll dump you on Khenarthi's Roost anyway if your character is Aldmeri Dominion. So you'll end up there, regardless.