The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Potions are not adding correct amount of recovery

dead1ycool
My magic recovery is 2429. When I use a potion that give 20% extra magic recovery it only goes up to 2714. It is suppose to go up to 2918. It’s also not adding my stamina recovery correct either. I also checked the amount on the bar as it restores magic and that is incorrect also. My friend has the same problem.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have other percent bonuses from racial, armor, or ability effects? For example, if you have the light armor recovery perk and the altmer regen passive with minor intellect from warden shrooms, your 20% won't be 20% if I remember the maths right.
  • dead1ycool
    Potions 20% have always just gone off the base recovery on the character screen. This just started happening recently. I’ve been playing ESO for 2 1/2 years and it always buffed up correctly up until like a month or two ago. The thing is, it’s also doing it to my stam recovery and I have no % passives for that, so I know something’s wrong.
    Edited by dead1ycool on December 31, 2017 3:44PM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good find . I hope @ZOS_GinaBruno can pass this on to be looked at .
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The buff from potions (major endurance and major intellect) were always buffing just base recovery. Your character screen shows your full recovery.

Check your gear, mundus and food and I bet you will find you have around ~910 recovery from those. Add that to the base of ~514 and you have your 20%.
  • dead1ycool
    Obviously you have never bothered to check how potions buff your stats before and you just assumed I am wrong. As I have said 3 times now, it has ALWAYS gone off the recovery on the character screen. When They removed the cost reduction champ points it was still buffing the actual 20% recovery base on the character screen. How do I know? Because I needed to changed my build to make up for the lost reduction and I TESTED it. Want a perfect example of how you are completely wrong? A spell power pot with major sorcery increases spell dmg by 20%. When I use one, my spell damage goes up by exactly what it is suppose to even though what is on my character screen isn’t my actual base spell dmg because my passives increase it by 10%. It’s so annoying being told you are wrong by clueless people.
    Edited by dead1ycool on January 1, 2018 1:48AM
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    dead1ycool wrote: »
    My magic recovery is 2429. When I use a potion that give 20% extra magic recovery it only goes up to 2714. It is suppose to go up to 2918. It’s also not adding my stamina recovery correct either. I also checked the amount on the bar as it restores magic and that is incorrect also. My friend has the same problem.
    If you don't mind my asking, how is it that the magicka recovery for your character is as high as 2429?

Magicka recovery as a specific number has always been three digits for each of my two Sorcerers. However, I don't use recovery buffs, just buffs that increase Maximum Magicka and/or Maximum Health and/or Maximum Stamina. I do invest Champion Points to increase recovery, if only because I cannot invest any to increase those maxima. But the number as a percentage does not disclose the answer to the question: percentage of what amount?

From what I've read, the game software always truncates the decimal portion of a decimal number, and uses only the integer portion for calculations. So a 10.95% increase in a recovery rate would be calculated as a 10% increase instead. It wouldn't surprise me if the designers chose to do that, but there is a better way to avoid using the Floating Point Number calculator in the CPU by making all calculations integers.

For those who need a reminder about arithmetic:

Twenty percent (20% or 0.20) is a ratio, the outcome of dividing one number by another. A percentage is a number divided by 100. The word "percent" originated from the Latin phrase per centum ("for each 100").

So, to calculate the increase of an amount, multiply it by 1.xx where xx is the percentage (without any decimal point between one x and the next). For example, if an increase is 20.5%, then multiply by 1.205.

In this case, if the character's Magicka recovery is 2429, then 2429 x 1.20 = 2914.80 (not 2918).

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • dead1ycool

If you don't mind my asking, how is it that the magicka recovery for your character is as high as 2429?

Magicka recovery as a specific number has always been three digits for each of my two Sorcerers. However, I don't use recovery buffs, just buffs that increase Maximum Magicka and/or Maximum Health and/or Maximum Stamina. I do invest Champion Points to increase recovery, if only because I cannot invest any to increase those maxima. But the number as a percentage does not disclose the answer to the question: percentage of what amount?

From what I've read, the game software always truncates the decimal portion of a decimal number, and uses only the integer portion for calculations. So a 10.95% increase in a recovery rate would be calculated as a 10% increase instead. It wouldn't surprise me if the designers chose to do that, but there is a better way to avoid using the Floating Point Number calculator in the CPU by making all calculations integers.

Twenty percent (20% or 0.20) is a ratio, the outcome of dividing one number by another. A percentage is a number divided by 100. The word "percent" originated from the Latin phrase per centum ("for each 100").

So, to calculate the increase of an amount, multiply it by 1.xx where xx is the percentage (without any decimal point between one x and the next). For example, if an increase is 20.5%, then multiply by 1.205.
    In this case, if the character's Magicka recovery is 2429, then 2429 x 1.20 = 2914.80 (not 2918).

I wrote the wrong number by accident. Also you can multiply 2429 by .20 which is equivalent to 20% and then add that number (485.8) to 2429 which = 2914.8. That’s what I did. I’m wearing gold gear including gold jewelry. 2 gold magic recov enchants on rings 338, witch mothers potent brew drink 319, 75 champ points in arcanist 14%, light armor passives 28%, sorc passives 10%, vamp passive 10%, racial passives 9%. My amberplasm set also gives 250 more magic recov. The base recovery with absolutely no gear, passives or champ points is 514. Gear also ups the recovery in of itself. That’s how my magic recov is 2429.
    Edited by dead1ycool on January 1, 2018 4:28AM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I wrote the wrong number by accident. Also you can multiply 2429 by .20 which is equivalent to 20% and then add that number (485.8) to 2429 which = 2914.8. That’s what I did. I’m wearing gold gear including gold jewelry. 2 gold magic recov enchants on rings 338, witch mothers potent brew drink 319, 75 champ points in arcanist 14%, light armor passives 28%, sorc passives 10%, vamp passive 10%, racial passives 9%. My amberplasm set also gives 250 more magic recov. The base recovery with absolutely no gear, passives or champ points is 514. Gear also ups the recovery in of itself. That’s how my magic recov is 2429.

So basically what is happening is this-
    SodanTok wrote: »
    The buff from potions (major endurance and major intellect) were always buffing just base recovery. Your character screen shows your full recovery.

Check your gear, mundus and food and I bet you will find you have around ~910 recovery from those. Add that to the base of ~514 and you have your 20%.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Obviously you have never bothered to check how potions buff your stats before and you just assumed I am wrong. As I have said 3 times now, it has ALWAYS gone off the recovery on the character screen. When They removed the cost reduction champ points it was still buffing the actual 20% recovery base on the character screen. How do I know? Because I needed to changed my build to make up for the lost reduction and I TESTED it. Want a perfect example of how you are completely wrong? A spell power pot with major sorcery increases spell dmg by 20%. When I use one, my spell damage goes up by exactly what it is suppose to even though what is on my character screen isn’t my actual base spell dmg because my passives increase it by 10%. It’s so annoying being told you are wrong by clueless people.

lol

Obviously you either failed horrible at your 'testing', cant do math better than 10y old or simply never had any regen bonus other than those from pots.

It was NEVER (well, at least in long time) going off recovery in character screen, it was always going of your base recovery (default + gear + mundus + food). Fact that they fixed when it was wrongly calculating back in august 2016. Character screen shows your total recovery. If it looked like coming from it, it was because your total recovery was same as base (so no % buffs) or you had some addon.

Your perfect example how am I wrong is also perfect example how am I right, major sorcery (and most other similiar buffs) work the same. They are additive with each other and the only way for Major Sorcery to increase your character screen spell damage by exactly 20% is when your character screen spell damage is same as your base spell damage which is pretty easy to do since it is very rare to have other buffs. The only other common source of % spell power is expert mage on sorcerer, currently bugged and not working as intended (so it is multiplicative).

But feel free to tell me again how I am wrong, when you show total lack of basic understanding of mechanics.

//edit:
    Even pinpointed your exact base recovery with just 7 off. *facepalm*

Actually this does not even matter. This is correct way these buffs work. It does work. This thread is pointless already because you just proved it does work as supposed to so it is over. No matter what have you seen or tested before Morrowind, this is the CORRECT way.
    Edited by SodanTok on January 1, 2018 11:46AM