The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Precursor Parts: Need better description for newbies.

SkyIsTheLimit1206
SkyIsTheLimit1206
✭✭✭
Okay, I originally started a discussion on the subreddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/7mra37/discussion_precursorconstruct_parts_labels/

And someone suggested I bring it up here.

So.

Little backstory: Around 2 months ago I started a character in the Daggerfall Covenant. He started off, like most, in Stros M'Kai. The Clockwork City DLC had just released at that time, but I had no idea about the content and the whole "collect pieces across Tamriel to build a cool robot" thing.

Anyways, I, like most level-5 newbies at that time, into the Bthzark Dwarven Ruin, following a quest, "Buried Secrets". While completing the quest, I noticed the Dynamo Core part of the Precursor in the ruins. However, the description of the object was very vague and of common status. All it said was it was some kind of Core of a "forgotten construct." Now, I held on to it for quite a while until I thought it took up valuable inventory space. I destroyed it, as it was worth 0 gold and could not be deposited into my bank (because it was Bound to Character.) I soon forgot about it.

2 months later, during this Christmas Crown Sale, I bought a few crowns and bought the latest Clockwork City DLC. I ventured in a quickly fell upon the Precursor quest. I searched up online about the missing pieces and quickly (and shockingly) found out about how I destroyed one of the essential pieces to reconstructing the Precursor.

Now, I know that each character can make their own Precursor. I am not too mad: I just need to create a new character and collect all the pieces and boom I place it in a house, switch to my main and I can use all characters on the robot/fabricant dummy. But still, I think that for newbies that come across Precursor parts, the description should be more informational and say that it is a part of a Precursor which can be later built together. That way, most newbies won't just destroy it for taking up space.

I don't know if this should exactly be in BUG reports, but I still feel like it needs to be implemented.

Thanks
With strength and intelligence comes hard work.

Which is why not a lot of people are strong nor intelligent.
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    @SkyIsTheLimit1206

Have you tried going back into Bthzark to see if the Dynamo Core is obtainable again, post-destruction of the one you had looted? I would think it would reappear in the ruin since the item has not been "used" via turn-in in the Precursor quest. If you go back to Bthzark and it is not in its original place, a support ticket may be the remedy to your issue. Each character should be able to complete the quest and you shouldn't have to create a whole new one just to do this.

I agree with you that that players would benefit from more thorough descriptions on items of this type. ZOS could address it a couple of ways. The items could be non-lootable for players who have not begun the Precursor quest, for example. Or they could modify the item descriptions to include "This item is part of the [QUESTNAME] quest" as descriptive text - that, however, would lend itself to serious inconsistency with other items throughout the world if they didn't do it for ALL items of that nature. Still, it's one way they could do it. I'm sure there are a number of other solutions as well.

Check out Bthzark and then try a support ticket if the Dynamo Core is missing. Hopefully it will be there where you originally found it and you can complete the Precursor on that character. Curious to see how this turns out.