Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Halls of torment- why is tharn attacking me?

blmetels
blmetels
Soul Shriven
I am using a bow from a distance, ive read he doesnt leave the area or go to far but he is attackimg me all the way back to where you enter? And i have to start over everytime i turn the ps4 off..help?

Best Answers

• blmetels
    blmetels
    Soul Shriven
    I've beat tharn and lyris already but it didn't save my progress. I shut it off like normal... Is it supposed to save after defeating each person?
    Answer ✓
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't remember anything about the fights themselves but this is an instanced quest(like most main quests are), meaning once you leave the instance, it will reset. I think it's true for all instanced quests, the only exception from that rule being vet Maelstrom with its save feature, and only because it takes people hours upon hours for their first completion and we've been asking for a save there forever. Try doing full quest in one go.
    Answer ✓
  • blmetels
    blmetels
    Soul Shriven
    Really nobody can say anything to help me out?
    Answer ✓
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What do you want said? What is your issue? You will have to complete the full quest in one go if you want to get it done. You will have to kill Tharn(well, his illusion) and I assume he'll try to defend himself, I definitely would ;)
    Answer ✓
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess you must be talking about the Tharn doppleganger? He's tough to beat if you have a weak character. You need something better than a bow to take him down, unless your bow skill is leveled up pretty high (I'm assuming it's not). If you're just light-attacking with a bow, you'll never defeat him. You can start off with a bow to weaken him with Snipe, then switch to another weapon if you have it when he starts attacking you. Drop some damage-over-time skills on him so he'll be slowly weakening while you're fighting him. I'd say use Poison Arrow on him as a damage-over-time, only you probably don't have that unlocked yet.

Remember to use a buff food before the fight, and that you can also use a potion along with the food in the middle of the fight. (You can't use a drink at the same time as food, but you CAN use a potion at the same time as food.) Sorry if you already knew that. I don't know how long you've been playing, so I thought I would explain it as if you were a newbie.

Anytime a quest area says "solo" it means if you shut the game off, it won't save your progress. I learned that the hard way when I was new to the game, only with me I was half-way through a Fighter's Guild quest. Lost all my progress and had to start the quest over.
    Edited by SydneyGrey on December 23, 2017 6:56AM
    Answer ✓
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tharn is a doppelgänger, a fake, a daedra....... kill it..... simple
    If you choose Tharn to accompany you there will be two of them together, fights in eso reset after you move far enough away. Smash his head in and move on....
    The dam quest tells you this :/
    This is the Players Helping Players section. If you're just going to be condescending and not actually help, then why are you here?

Answer ✓
  • Nephimana
    Nephimana
    ✭✭✭
    The main quest doesn't save progress mid instance, if you leave or disconnect mid quest you have to do the whole thing again. There's nothing you can do about, just do it again all the way through.
    As for him attacking you from the entrance, just kill him. If you already beat him then it shouldn't be that much of a problem to do it again.
    Edited by Nephimana on December 22, 2017 2:12AM
  • Piojo
    Piojo
    ✭✭✭
    @Nephimana check your quest log when you get to the point at which you think a save should occur. The quest log should have a prompt to direct you to the next stage. Then follow that stage until the quest updates. If the quest is gone from your quest log, then report it.

These are two next steps that should happen, if the logic of the quest mechanic holds true.

Edit to include: if you finished the quest or not, the quest log will tell you. If you log out before you activate that update, the game will ~not~ save your progress, and you have to allow enough play time to see it through until it does.
    Edited by Piojo on December 22, 2017 10:08PM
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If you choose Tharn to accompany you there will be two of them together, fights in eso reset after you move far enough away. Smash his head in and move on....

• blmetels
    blmetels
    Soul Shriven
    No need to be rude people. I was asking a question. Why all the hate? I for one am a newbie and didn't know in solo it doesnt have checkpoints in quest. Sorry for asking a question... Thanks to those of you who were actually helpful!
  • blmetels
    blmetels
    Soul Shriven
    Sorry for asking a simple question. Excuse me for being new. And some of these answers arent straight forward on Google. For those of you who are rude.. I for one am a newbie. So sorry for not knowing. Thanks to those of you who amswered my question and not be rude about it.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes, oh omnipotent one. Most player do get the idea. However you need to consider that a new player might not have min/maxed food buffed undaunted skill bis gear and weapons just yet, and might just find the fight against the dopplegangers a touch difficult. Asking for help/ideas about how to handle a fight doesn't mean they don't know what to do.

On my first runthough at early access one of my characters had a really bad time with Doshia, and Lyris's double. Yes, I knew I was supposed to kill them. No it wasn't as easy as "smash his head in" for a new player. Especially for a bow nightblade.
    Edited by JKorr on December 23, 2017 3:57PM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blmetels wrote: »
    No need to be rude people. I was asking a question. Why all the hate? I for one am a newbie and didn't know in solo it doesnt have checkpoints in quest. Sorry for asking a question... Thanks to those of you who were actually helpful!
    Because this forum is toxic as heck. The General Discussion forum is the worst, with people abusing each other all the time. Usually the abuse doesn't creep into the Players Helping Players section, but no where is 100% safe.
    I don't recommend starting threads in General Discussion. Like, ever.
    Honestly, it seems like the forums are actually slightly less toxic now than they were six months ago, believe it or not.
    The game itself is a lot less poisonous than the forums.

Edited by SydneyGrey on December 24, 2017 8:20AM
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1 listen to dialogue

2 if it hurts then it’s an enemy and you knock it’s block of

3 see points one and two

This stuff is in every game and every fantasy novel ever made! How can this stuff possibly not be known?

First time I did this quest years back, I listened to the quest giver, I listened to my companion, between them I knew precisely what was expected of me and how to accomplish it and I’m easily one of the doziest gamers out there. If in doubt just type eso followed by the quest name into google, takes seconds to find scores of full detailed walkthroughs.

Also, if your bothered by someone as daft as me you deffinately don’t want to be posting on these forums. What I gave you was a playful prod, there are people in these forums that will get downright spiteful. Google is by far the better source of answers.
    Edited by Integral1900 on December 24, 2017 8:46AM
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the private instanced quests if you are having trouble...
    bring lots of soul gems & try getting killed strategically so that the difficulty scales it down a notch.
    (fyi, your loot reward may get scaled down too depending on where you are/what quest you are on)

also! if you can arrange to level up inside there (tricky but not impossible) the fights are all easier once you level.
    Good Luck & Have Fun!
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

whoops double post, have a meme!
    kitty%20zerg.jpg

Edited by Pheefs on December 27, 2017 11:01PM
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blmetels wrote: »
    Sorry for asking a simple question. Excuse me for being new. And some of these answers arent straight forward on Google. For those of you who are rude.. I for one am a newbie. So sorry for not knowing. Thanks to those of you who amswered my question and not be rude about it.
    Don't be sorry.
    This is the Players Helping Players forum. Ask anything you like. Most of us are here to help.

PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.