The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should ground Ultimates be negateable?

Sanct16
Sanct16
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
What do you think?
Edited by Sanct16 on December 24, 2017 9:21PM
- EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP

Should ground Ultimates be negateable? 54 votes

ALL should be negateable
50%
kevlarto_ESOTelelWuffyCeruleiSodanTokIxSTALKERxIcamelliaAnazasiTexassollGhostbanevortexman11asneakybananaDerraCalboyZagnut123Zagnut123StratforgeDKsUniteIzakiDoccEffDarethran 27 votes
NONE should be negateable
35%
BelegnoleUlfgardeShareeskinny.mindeb17_ESOVenom4YouVilestrideMufridSatiarCustos91Sanct16smacx250newtinmplsMaster_KasLucky28Sanctum74usmcjdkingBryanonymousSilverPawsSlick_007 19 votes
SOME should be negateable
14%
NirnStormleeuxdsalterDedimosAbramAeremWeylandLabsHekaterin 8 votes
  • Stratforge
    Stratforge
    ✭✭✭✭
    ALL should be negateable
    ya
    PC NA
    Xbox One NA (retired)
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Negate warps the metagame such that ground ultimates are a liability. Due to this, I'd suggest that ZOS have a good look at it at some point whether that leads to complete negate immunity or partial. An ultimate should be useful or trash on its own merits and not on how it interacts with a single ability such as negate.
  • Telel
    Telel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALL should be negateable
    Yes.

However there should be two kinds of negates for this. One of the morphs should remove anything ongoing when cast. The other should negate ground effects that enter after it drops.
    Character: Telel
    Class: Night Blade-Werewolf-viking-ninja-catgirl-mallet wielder
    Past times: Refusing to go full magika spec, hitting things with a big hammer, sniping, and speaking in khajiit
    Also: Gelel the Derp Knight, Altsel the streaker, and Filafel the temp temp.

Khajiit has a twitch stream! https://twitch.tv/telel_khajiit feel free to come see how truly unskilled Telel is.
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Negate warps the metagame such that ground ultimates are a liability. Due to this, I'd suggest that ZOS have a good look at it at some point whether that leads to complete negate immunity or partial. An ultimate should be useful or trash on its own merits and not on how it interacts with a single ability such as negate.

I'm on the fence for this reason. Maybe one version could remove normal ability effects and only suppress/not affect ultimate effects? And the other morph could work like Telel suggested and not allow any effects to be cast inside its radius instead of erasing them. Tough call, negate is good but makes slotting some ults pointless.

rip decibel
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Had a random thought... what if negate worked exactly as it does now, but refunded the ult cost to anyone who got their ult negated? That would add a “purge bug” layer of strategy (wish we had bug back btw). You would have time them to make sure you use the negate at the perfect moment- for example, right as your DDs are hitting, so that you wipe your opponent instead giving them more ults and time to use them.

rip decibel
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the actual Negate skill, yes.

By a gear set? No way.
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a sorc main, I'm not sure I can answer this in an unbiased fashion.

Negate is one of the few ground placed ults that doesn't include some sort of snare like banner and solar prison. Really "all" it does besides remove ground effects is silence. While powerful, the negate does very little to actually keep people from moving out directly.

I can't believe I'm suggesting this in eso, but perhaps if negate included a snare, it would then be more balanced to not remove other ground ults.
    By the actual Negate skill, yes.

By a gear set? No way.

Ultimately -- pun intended -- Earthgore is bull, and as long as it removes them, negate should too.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem imo is that as long as ground ultimates are negateable they will never be viable in group fights. The only viable ground ultimate is banner as it is not negateable. At the same time, removing ground ultimates isn't even the reason why people use negate, it's just a side effect (or not since noone uses ground ults bc of negate). Removing healing springs and silencing already makes it an outstanding ultimate, so i think it should not negate ultimates.
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    only meteor, rest are awful due to being negatable.
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna go on ahead and say, no. I mean gound ults cost a lot and when you put down a ground ult you mostly want to be standing in it so the simple act of putting a negate over someone's ground ult is a counter enough it really doesn't need to erase the effect.

and i just want to see a variety of ults used in this game again. ground ults not being erased by negates/earthgore would go a long way.
    Edited by Lucky28 on December 25, 2017 9:04PM
    Invictus
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, they could just make most ground ults a bit cheaper.

Nova: 180
    Banner: 200

for instance are currently just as expensive as EOTS, and it would be a nice little buff to templars and DKs for PvE too.
    Edited by Drummerx04 on December 25, 2017 10:38PM
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ultimate that is stuck in place (and thus easy to get out of/avoid) is also the ultimate which is vulnerable to negate. While the ultimate that is mobile and hundred times more dangerous is immune to negate.

That is just f*ed up. IMHO.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think none of them except other Negates should be negatable.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • asneakybanana
    asneakybanana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALL should be negateable
    Should be negatable but not absorbed by noon ultimate negates such as earthgore.
    Asneakybanana AD DK Former emperor of Chrysamere and Chillrend. World first hardmode Hel'ra and Quake con winner (Alliance rank 25)
    Asneakyhabenero EP DK Former emperor of Thornblade, Haderus. World first vMA Dk clear (Alliance rank 39)
    Asneakycucumber EP Sorc Former empress of Blackwater Bay and Trueflame (Alliance rank 32)
    Asneakypineapple EP Temp Former empress of Azuras Star and Haderus (Alliance rank 22)
    Asneakypickle EP NB Former empress of Trueflame (Alliance rank 47)
    Sweat Squad
    Crowned 27x on 12 different campaign cycles | 200M+ AP earned
    Fastest AA clear ever: 5:42 | Fastest HRC clear ever: 5:27 | NA first HM MoL
    609k Mag Sorc vMA
    NA first Tick Tock Tormentor
    NA first trinity (All No Death/HM/Speed run trials titles)
    2x Tick Tock Tormentor
  • Vilestride
    Vilestride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think with the exception of negates itself, then no, they should not be negateable. Not if we want them to be viable.

I think it's important to distinguish this as a buff to the affected grounds ults, not a nerf to negate. Negate will still be as useful as ever, you are still going to need it to counter negate, and you are still going to need it to suppress targets as you engage them.

Honestly could be cool to see a more definitive split in what the morphs do to, as some people have suggested, perhaps something like if one morph suppressed players preventing additional casting, and the other morph no longer suppressed but clears the ground of all current enemy effects. But I dunno, admittedly I haven't really thought that through yet.
    Drummerx04 wrote: »

Negate is one of the few ground placed ults that doesn't include some sort of snare like banner and solar prison. Really "all" it does besides remove ground effects is silence. While powerful, the negate does very little to actually keep people from moving out directly.

I can't believe I'm suggesting this in eso, but perhaps if negate included a snare, it would then be more balanced to not remove other ground ults.

I dunno, I have to object to the addition of a snare to it on the basis that sorcs have access to some of the best disruption and CC abilities in the game, I would like to see sorcs having to co-ordinate their negate with the streaks and encase as their means of preventing enemies from moving out oif it. I don't think we have to make it easier.

although sorcs have taken some pretty heavy nerfs lately #bringbackfragstun

• WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ALL should be negateable
    Negating any ultimates is really the only thing Suppression field can do against stam builds.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Negating any ultimates is really the only thing Suppression field can do against stam builds.

The thread is not about negating ultimates in general tho, only about negating ground-placed ultimates. And i honestly don't remember the last time i saw a stam build drop one of those. It's all dawnbreakers and incaps and leaps...
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALL should be negateable
    Sanct16 wrote: »
    The problem imo is that as long as ground ultimates are negateable they will never be viable in group fights. The only viable ground ultimate is banner as it is not negateable. At the same time, removing ground ultimates isn't even the reason why people use negate, it's just a side effect (or not since noone uses ground ults bc of negate). Removing healing springs and silencing already makes it an outstanding ultimate, so i think it should not negate ultimates.

If negate would return to permanently dispell groundeffects i could live with ultimates not being negateable - currently a big part of negate being vaible is being able to counter other ultimates with it (ironically mainly negate).

It´s already of debateable use except for spacing when not countering other ultimates with it. If that functionality would be lost aswell i don´t see sorc in a good spot for groups - as they´re undeniably lacking in comparison to other DDs.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Anazasi
    Anazasi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALL should be negateable
    Negate should be like it was at launch. Bring it back and watch the change in group dynamic.

You want to ride the green carpet? Well that wasn't the case at launch. You want to break free and be able to just cast on like nothing happened, well that's not the way it use to be. Negate was powerful but it always had a counter. The fact that you can only stack 2 negates in the same place hasn't changed. If players learned how to counter negate more there wouldn't be issues. Change negate back to the way it was at launch and see how it affects choices in pvp.
    Edited by Anazasi on December 26, 2017 4:01PM
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anazasi wrote: »
    Negate should be like it was at launch. Bring it back and watch the change in group dynamic.

You want to ride the green carpet? Well that wasn't the case at launch. You want to break free and be able to just cast on like nothing happened, well that's not the way it use to be. Negate was powerful but it always had a counter. The fact that you can only stack 2 negates in the same place hasn't changed. If players learned how to counter negate more there wouldn't be issues. Change negate back to the way it was at launch and see how it affects choices in pvp.

We already know how the gameplay would change and how it would affect choices. It would be like 1.5- whoever has more negates will almost always win. Believe me, I wish so hard that this game could go back to 1.5, but negate was too strong.

rip decibel
  • Vilestride
    Vilestride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind this is less about changing negate and more about changing certain ground AoE ults to make them potentially viable.
  • Abram
    Abram
    ✭✭✭
    I think no ultimate should be negatable, although, the mechanic preventing them from being cast while inside the negate should remain. This includes negate itself. Could be interesting to see if that would force more stam/mag balance of players in raids to have zones with both friendly and enemy negates in effect.
    Vilestride wrote: »
    #bringbackfragstun
    ^We can be friends again.

• TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if it negated the damage from ground ult but kept the other negative effects or vice versa
    Edited by TBois on December 27, 2017 10:12PM
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vilestride wrote: »
    I think with the exception of negates itself, then no, they should not be negateable. Not if we want them to be viable.

I think it's important to distinguish this as a buff to the affected grounds ults, not a nerf to negate. Negate will still be as useful as ever, you are still going to need it to counter negate, and you are still going to need it to suppress targets as you engage them.

Honestly could be cool to see a more definitive split in what the morphs do to, as some people have suggested, perhaps something like if one morph suppressed players preventing additional casting, and the other morph no longer suppressed but clears the ground of all current enemy effects. But I dunno, admittedly I haven't really thought that through yet.
    Drummerx04 wrote: »

I dunno, I have to object to the addition of a snare to it on the basis that sorcs have access to some of the best disruption and CC abilities in the game, I would like to see sorcs having to co-ordinate their negate with the streaks and encase as their means of preventing enemies from moving out oif it. I don't think we have to make it easier.

although sorcs have taken some pretty heavy nerfs lately #bringbackfragstun

Generally, I do at a minimum streak targets in a negate, sometimes a few times in a row if there's more than 6... so pretty much always.

And legit, I'd rather have the frag stun back and put rune cage back to how it was. Let DK's have that move, you know?

Notable Completions:

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanct16 wrote: »

they're not even viable in small group play which is terribly unfortunate because that's where ground ults should really shine.

something needs to be done. either dramatically reduce the cost of ground ults (90 - 100 ult cost) or make them un-negatable.
    Edited by Lucky28 on December 28, 2017 1:26AM
    Invictus