The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to steal or be a thief?

Davor
Davor
✭✭✭✭✭
Reading up on some builds about being a Nightblade I came apon a few people saying or reading that they are thieves. I just thought it was taking items in red and I didn't see the fun in that, so I am not sure what I would be missing by not playing a thief character.

So first I guess is there something more to thieving than just taking red items and not being caught and taking them to a fence for gold?

Second if so, what is it? I would like to roll play a thief character who becomes something different in life and becomes a hero or anti hero in the end. I just can't see that doing it by just taking red objects and selling them to fences so I would like to know what else is there in becoming a thief and what abilities do they gain. Will try Google again but it's not working for me or I haven't seen the right link yet.
Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll post a wicked blog by a guy on Patreon if i can find it.

I rolled a thief ready for Thieves Guild and really enjoyed that whole aspect to the game. Sure there is some repetition to leveling the skill tree. However sussing your strategy for that, dodging guards, picking master lock boxes and pick pocketing all take some skill

(well except the motif grinders do some pick-pick-stab system showing no real skill at the act)

Obviously running TG DLC is a must as you have dedicates content.

I'll find this blog and share in a second
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here you are. Absolutely amazing work unsure of the dudes tag on here or i would tag him

http://roguesfolio.tumblr.com/Guide
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Anemonean i think this is your amazing work??
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much Beardimus. Greatly appreciated. Going to read/watch it now.

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just read it. That was very useful. Thank you again @Beardimus for the link. Now off to create a new thief character. :)

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it sounds like you want to roleplay a thief.

Well, the first content I'm going to recommend is the Thieves Guild DLC. Its essential, really, since it adds a lot of depths to the in-game justice system, lets you participate in a whole bunch of capers with a bunch of fellow thieving guildmates, and really gives you the freedom to decide whether or not you want to be a Robin Hood type, a ruthless thief who gradually grows a heart of gold, or a stone-cold robber.

The second thing you'll want to decide on is the Dark Brotherhood DLC. Dark Brotherhood contains another essential element to the Justice system: the Blade of Woe. The Blade of Woe is a one-hit-kill from stealth and is the best way to enhance your thieving and murdering ways. The usual method for maximizing your take from victims is to pickpocket-pickpocket-stab in order to get everything you can from their inventory and reset them quickly. However, if your character has too many scruples to become an assassin, you can pick-pocket your victims three times for the same result, its just much harder to deal with inconvenient witnesses. Even if you choose to be a Dark Brother or Dark Sister, there's plenty of room for character growth.

I like to make up little stories about the places I steal from. In Vulkhel Guard, the temple priests there aren't as pious as you'd think with their pockets filled with Veiled Heritance Codebooks and implements of Daedric worship. Little does the Dominion know I'm doing them a favor by stealing from or killing those priests. And in Morrowind, every noble and commoner my Dark Brotherhood assassin robs and murders is a middle finger to her rivals in the Morag Tong.

Once you've got that groundwork established, its great fun to do other quests with your thief persona. My own Dark Brotherhood Silencer formed a bond with Queen Mariah of the Covenant and now works part-time for her as a troubleshooter and senior agent in the Covenant and if scheming nobles turn up dead with their valuables missing every so often, the Queen looks the other way. Most recently, Divayth Fyr wanted capable help for his journey to the Clockwork City, and well, who's more capably murderous than a Silencer?

So there's the gameplay mechanics of thieving: the lockpicking, the breaking into houses and looting safeboxes, the pickpocketing and the murdering for cool loot to sell. Then there's the content: Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood DLCs both add a lot to the Justice system. Finally, there's your character and the stories you want to tell about that character.

Hope you have lots of fun with your thief!
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is so awesome there @VaranisArano . This shows so much hope for me.

Just started a new character and right out the gate I found a lock door where I never noticed it before during the tutorial. Seems like I have missed a lot of what the game had to offer.