Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Added housing storage crates (soon) - advices for ZOS - HOW TO DO IT RIGHT

altemriel
altemriel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Dear ZOS,

first of all I want to say I love this game, despite all the bugs and lags. I have been here since beta and I still pretty much enjoy it.

I want to create this forum tread for you ZOS, to get you some ideas, what would be the best way to implement storage crates into housing.

Please keep the discussion civil and constructive, no punning or shaming pls!!

As Matt Firor stated in the latest december Eso Live, storage crates will be implemented into housing soon, we do not have any info so far from ZOS. So let`s give ZOS some hints how to do it RIGHT!!

1. First of all and the most important: Please ZOS, let us buy it for in-game gold, DO NOT make it crown store exclusive.
If you really want to make some money from crown store, let us buy there some "special big crates", but please give us the crates for in-game gold.

2. Please give them to us to any house, not just the large houses.

3. If you want to still keep crafting bag (eso+) interesting and viable, make the crates so, that they would not function the way as bank or crafting bag works, that you can use the stored items in any crafting station. You can make the storage crates as regular storage, but with not crafting access to it - we would have to visit the house, to take the stuff out of them.

4. Please give us as many crates as we want, into a house. Maybe make it so, that a small crate (200 slots) would take up 2 housing slots, , medim crate (500 slots) takes up 5 housing slots and big crate (1000 slots) would take up 10 housing slots

5. Please let us store there everything, mats, furnishing, potions, anything, armors, weapons.

6. Please give us also weapon racks and mannequins for armor storage, let us store a full set on them.

and now finally 7. really this really please, please increase the regular furnishing slots, current limit is way too low, even for ESO+ subscribers. There could be so many creative housing ideas done, but many of them fail on not enough furnishing slots. Come on ZOS! You succeeded to add another 2 million players to the game, making it now to 10 million accounts (players).
Could you really invest a bit more into the servers and at least triple or quadruple the housing furniture slots?!
This would really make the housing a top interesting thing and add even more players to the game for sure!!!

(see also this poll: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/347925/poll-for-zos-are-you-happy-with-the-number-of-housing-slots-to-furnish-your-home/p1 )

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_MattFiror

Edited by altemriel on December 23, 2017 5:34PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Strictly speaking, he didn't say 'storage crates' he said 'Homestead storage items' - that could mean a number of things. It does seem to imply storage isn't going to be bolted into the existing houses or a sort of Craft-Bag-Equivalent for non-crafting items, which is unfortunate but not surprising. But under those constraints, we could, theoretically speaking, 'only' get mannequins capable of storing five pieces of armor, and that would count. But I'm nit-picking; there will be plenty of time to be pessimistic after it hits the PTS. :)

So given what little we know, ideally, we would be to be able to craft or buy the storage item in-game with in-game resources. I'm thinking the Master Writ vouchers are a likely purchase method, or have those used to buy a component to craft them, like the target dummies. While I'd be perfectly happy to just use in-game gold, Zeni has traditionally avoided introducing new things that can be gotten and used immediately. That being the case I would hope they don't introduce a completely new grind for it. Housing furnishing recipes are enough!

Also, my hope would be that this storage item isn't incredibly picky about what we put in it, or at least there's one variation that isn't. EX: Say we get a storage chest, a storage wardrobe, and a storage bag. If the chest lets me put any kind of item in it it's fine if the wardrobe will only store clothes and the bag only allows food items.

And while I'm fine with them having a Crown Store equivalent for the sorts who have to have it now or don't craft in-game, under no circumstances do I want to see a Crown Store equivalent that is functionally better than what can be obtained in-game. No super-storage-crates for sale unless I can get them without more real-world money than I already spent on the game. Cosmetic differences are fine, but even then if there are multiple styles there should be a reasonable number of those available in-game as well.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Akrasjel
    Akrasjel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever it is, it's already done or close to being finished.
    [PC][EU][Daggerfall Covenant]
    Akrasjel Lanate - Imperial Nightblade | 50 | CP900+
    Born: 2E 551

Member of: | Traders of the Covenant | Hammerfell Trading | Imperial Trading Company |
    Houses: Strident Springs Demesne,

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Akrasjel wrote: »
    Whatever it is, it's already done or close to being finished.

This is true, but we have nothing better to do then speculate. :)
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »

3. If you want to still keep crafting bag (eso+) interesting and viable, make the crates so, that they would not function the way as bank or crafting bag works, that you can use the stored items in any crafting station. You can make the storage crates as regular storage, but with not crafting access to it - we would have to visit the house, to take the stuff out of them.

Why would you ever give them this idea? People will still subscribe. This game has enough arbitrary restrictions already for you to actually give ZOS any more ideas for restrictions.
    • We got a banker you can only buy with crowns that had its access to guild banks and stores unnecessarily and arbitrarily removed. So you can't even access your guild bank or store from your guild house.
    • We got a merchant you can only buy with crowns that had her ability to repair gear unnecessarily and arbitrarily removed.

If anything, if you store crafting materials in your house storage, you should be able to access those materials from your crafting stations that are ALSO in your house. That way you can turn your house into a crafter's nook without a subscription but if you wanted the convenience of accessing those materials anywhere in the world, you would need the crafting bag.

I don't mean to be harsh or anything and I realize that you were just making a concession. I am just concerned that ZOS will approach this topic from a "what can we restrict" mentality and that some of these features with be so frustrating and DOA at launch due to more arbitrary restrictions. This game is chock full of those already.
    Edited by Yolokin_Swagonborn on December 23, 2017 9:19PM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Why would you ever give them this idea? People will still subscribe. This game has enough arbitrary restrictions already for you to actually give ZOS any more ideas for restrictions.
    • We got a banker you can only buy with crowns that had its access to guild banks and stores unnecessarily and arbitrarily removed.
    • We got a merchant you can only buy with crowns that had her ability to repair gear unnecessarily and arbitrarily removed.

If anything, if you store crafting materials in your house storage, you should be able to access those materials from your crafting stations that are ALSO in your house. That way you can turn your house into a crafter's nook without a subscription but if you wanted the convenience of accessing those materials anywhere in the world, you would need the crafting bag.

I don't mean to be harsh or anything but I think a discussion of adding Quality of Life or utility in this game should focus on the benefits and not on possible restrictions. This game is chock full of those already.

ok, true
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• We got a banker you can only buy with crowns that had its access to guild banks and stores unnecessarily and arbitrarily removed.

I don't mean to be harsh or anything but I think a discussion of adding Quality of Life or utility in this game should focus on the benefits and not on possible restrictions. This game is chock full of those already.

ok, true

I am glad this thread exists and you are starting a discussion now. We all know how likely things are to change once this hits the PTS unless there is very strong feedback from day one. And even that is often not enough.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

ok, true

I am glad this thread exists and you are starting a discussion now. We all know how likely things are to change once this hits the PTS unless there is very strong feedback from day one. And even that is often not enough.

yes, it would be great if people would engage more in the discussion
  • Whiphid
    Whiphid
    ✭✭✭✭
    My guess... Probably going to be some sort of mannequins for gear storage. Doubt they will allow for unlimited storage of items, mats etc, as that will devaluate the craft bag and double bank space that come with the sub.

We will know soon enough anyway, as it is coming to the PTS very early 2018.
    One land! One Emperor! Who among you will stand with me?

PS4/EU - Breton Sorcerer / Breton Healplar / Khajiit Stamblade / Khajiit Stamplar / Altmer SorcTank
    Grand Master Crafter and Guild Master of the Aetherium Alliance.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Whiphid wrote: »
    My guess... Probably going to be some sort of mannequins for gear storage. Doubt they will allow for unlimited storage of items, mats etc, as that will devaluate the craft bag and double bank space that come with the sub.

We will know soon enough anyway, as it is coming to the PTS very early 2018.

well, devaluate bank space or craftbag, that does not need to. there are ways to implement it without doing it.
    one thing could be for example being not able to use the storaged mats on crafting stations outside of the house. or at all, just being external storage, which you would need to go to the house and physically take out of there.
    problem solved, bank or craftbag not devaluated at all ;)
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t mind a trap door somewhere that opens the storage area. Also a siege bag would be amazing as well.
  • kvlou79
    kvlou79
    ✭✭✭
    You know those little Jewelry Cases in
    Vvardenfell? I’d like to see those as house storage for a 3 piece jewelry set. And Mannequins able to store a full set of armor.
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kvlou79 wrote: »
    You know those little Jewelry Cases in
    Vvardenfell? I’d like to see those as house storage for a 3 piece jewelry set. And Mannequins able to store a full set of armor.

If the mannequin actually showed off the armor, and became a mini statue with your full set pieces, fully dyed, that would be amazing!

I'd finally have a place to store my worm cult gear and some of the other interesting sets that are very pretty but I don't have much use for in game.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the points here are good ideas that Zos has likely seen from other threads players have created. Some have probably been taken into consideration while others will not be.

Zos probably knows players do not want a complicated system for storage. They are likely to understand housing based storage should not be locked behind the crown store. Both good points OP made.

OP has another good point that the housing based storage should

However, housing storage should only require one item inside the home. Obtain the item and have access to X number of slots. Pay more to unlock more in a tiered system as we currently have and is common in other games. That is the best way to implement housing storage and much better that OPs suggestion.

We know Zos would not implement a storage system that would undermine the current storage systems for starters. Using OPs suggestion of a small crate of 200 slots, unless one has to be inside the home to access it we can easily expect the price to be hundreds of thousands of gold. Equivalent ore more expensive that the first 200 slots of bank or character storage.

That would lock out many players who would not want to pay that much in one lump sum.

This also eliminate the issue with housing slots since we know that Zos will not permit unlimited anything be placed in homes. We can also expect Zos will not permit unlimited storage opportunities either.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if there is one thing I would stress. it absolutely positively cannot directly depend on a size of the house. to explain what I mean - rather then choosing which containers to place, you get a storage built in that is limited to certain amount of spaces, the way furnishings are limited right now. because that means bigger houses have a far more direct advantage, and that is skating dangerously close to p2w. so I would rather they make it containers you can place, with containers having set amount of space in them. it might not seem like much of a difference since larger homes can potentially have more space, but there IS a difference.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post, added some of my thoughts as well. Whilst the initial announcement was a bit underwhelming of another DLC with another 2 dungeons and nothing to expand or revitalise Cyrodil, the storage is a well needed perk that I honestly didn’t think they’d deliver.

1. First of all and the most important: Please ZOS, let us buy it for in-game gold, DO NOT make it crown store exclusive.
    If you really want to make some money from crown store, let us buy there some "special big crates", but please give us the crates for in-game gold. - 100% agree, I’d also like it to be available through master writs. These have become almost redundant for me now and I assume many others rather than a way to earn some cash.

2. Please give them to us to any house, not just the large houses. - whilst I agree I do think the larger the house the greater the potential storage space, it wouldn’t make sense if the 1 room houses hold the same as the mansions.

3. If you want to still keep crafting bag (eso+) interesting and viable, make the crates so, that they would not function the way as bank or crafting bag works, that you can use the stored items in any crafting station. You can make the storage crates as regular storage, but with not crafting access to it - I think I’d rather it be open to ESO+ players only

4. Please give us as many crates as we want, into a house. Maybe make it so, that a small crate (200 slots) would take up 2 housing slots, , medim crate (500 slots) takes up 5 housing slots and big crate (1000 slots) would take up 10 housing slots -honestly can’t imagine me needing 1000+ slots tbh but as a minimum we should have at least 2x the potential of bank space

5. Please let us store there everything, mats, furnishing, potions, anything, armors, weapons. - especially BoP items!

6. Please give us also weapon racks and mannequins for armor storage, let us store a full set on them. - not so fussed but it did look cool I Skyrim

Edited by Parrot1986 on December 23, 2017 9:49PM
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    if there is one thing I would stress. it absolutely positively cannot directly depend on a size of the house.

Agreed. House size is sort of an arbitrary designation and its bad enough to have number of decorating slots attached to this value. Since the square footage in houses varies so wildly, (twin arches has about as much square footage as the medium redguard house), it makes some houses a easy to decorate while others feel bare and restrictive.

If you want to put a storage locker in one of the free rooms, it should be just as effective as putting it in a mansion.
  • Aeslief
    Aeslief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fully expect the storage items to be available in the crown store. Not saying that's how I'd want it to be, but I'm being realistic. ZOS would not have invested the resources into developing this system if they weren't expecting a payoff from it. I doubt it will push many players into actually 'playing' with their houses if they do not already enjoy that part of the game.

I'll be very surprised if the items can be crafted or are available for gold. Perhaps there will be one very small 20-item chest available for gold to give people a taste, like the free inn room quest.

I also don't expect huge capacities from these items which would, as others have pointed out, devalue other cash-generating utilities like the craft bag and the banker assistant.

What I would really like to see is the items available from the Master Writ Vendor. This vendor is already associated with most of the existing interactive furnishings. It encourages people to do more crafting which could lead to research scroll sales and perhaps even new ESO+ subscriptions or Crown store motif sales. Historically most of the MW vendor's items are not BoP so this could be an additional source of gold for established crafters, and still give access to the storage items for gold for those who choose not to craft and do not want the items in the Crown store.
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I went back and read the news. Here's exactly what was posted:

"We are going to add more to Homestead over time, and I'm happy to announce that home storage is coming to ESO in early 2018, giving you the ability to store inventory items in your home. You all have been asking for it ever since Homestead launched, and it's coming soon. We'll release more information about how the home storage system will work shortly after the first of the year."

There's no mention of crates.
    And if they announced it you can bet the code is all done and fairly tested by now since it's coming 1Q.

What I hope is that storage per home is a percentage of total items you can have in home.
    That benefits both eso+ and free players.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Juju_beans You missed the one line further down:
    Coming with Dragon Bones is an update full of quality-of-life improvements and additions, including at least one long-awaited feature that everyone who cares about their characters' appearance will love and the Homestead storage items I talked about earlier.

So it looks like it will be some sort of item, if not necessarily a crate.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juju_beans wrote: »

What I hope is that storage per home is a percentage of total items you can have in home.

I really hope that its not. why? becasue it makes manors, including crown only houses a tangibly better purchase, skating veeeery close to pay to win here. I'm hoping that whatever storage we get will be an item that has specific amount of storage available, regardless of furnishing limits. (and I say that as someone who is both ESO+ player and someone who has a manor already - I think its a bad idea to tie storage that directly to furnishing limits)
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Storage containers should be small things that can be placed inside of existing house items so that the effect is that it feels like you are storing stuff in your chests, wardrobes, etc. Kind of like how you hide glowing soul gems in Christmas trees to make them glow.

2) Writ vouchers should be incorporated so that you either buy the storage containers with them or a key gold ingredient for crafting them and a recipe. My suggestion would be to make it like stations, you just buy the actual item. They should be expensive but not that BS that you did with the transmute station at 1,250 vouchers. Maybe around 250 vouchers for a big container.

3) Different sizes should be made going up to a lot. We have a huge inventory problem in ESO because of bound sets and ZOS propensity to change them all the time. This encourages hording. The largest containers should be at least 500.

4) If overall storage is limited by house size there should be a way to pay to make a small house act bigger. I would already pay the million gold to make my sleek creek house act like a large size house when it comes to display of stuff. I do not like the larger houses though. The smaller house is quite nice and I don't want to be yet another guy with daggerfall castle. It looks drafty. A house tier upgrade system in general would be nice.

5) Quick change dummies that display a whole set and allow it to be swapped with one button from one toon to another would be great. I would love to just share my best item sets from toon to toon without the difficulty and time of swapping them over through the bank.

6) Separate storage container types should exist that allow access to anyone in your home so that guild houses and use them.

7) Some display for older weapons would be nice. It would be nice to display some of the old masters stuff I worked hard for but you all wrecked.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping we'll be able to access storage via chests, cupboards and wardrobes, and not just via an interface alone. I want to be able to interact with furniture.

I have a feeling the amount we can store will relate to the size of the house. Bigger house = more storage. I hope this won't necessarily be the case.

I also hope storage will require crafting in some way, so crafters can make different storage furnitures.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"We are going to add more to Homestead over time, and I'm happy to announce that home storage is coming to ESO in early 2018, giving you the ability to store inventory items in your home. You all have been asking for it ever since Homestead launched, and it's coming soon. We'll release more information about how the home storage system will work shortly after the first of the year."

And if they announced it you can bet the code is all done and fairly tested by now since it's coming 1Q.

I would expect ESO+ would have a benefit with housing storage. Regardless of it being when it is added or a short time later. It just seems a very likely fit.

However, for the most part, the suggestion in the OP is not the best way to add storage as many would not want to pay the hundreds of thousands gold it would cost just to get OPs small storage crate. That much is obvious.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

could you pls show me the source of this? the article or video?
    Edited by altemriel on December 24, 2017 5:47PM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the storage looks like treasure chests, or wardrobes/chests of drawers, like in Skyrim. I'd LOVE that.
    Edited by SydneyGrey on December 25, 2017 12:26AM
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d like for the wardrobes, chests, crates already owned and newly purchased to be storage. Maybe for example chest of drawers hold 25 items, wardrobe 50, chest and lkrs 75 and crates 100 items. I for one will have organized crates etc in my cellars such as one of chairs another tables etc.
    Edited by Krainor1974 on December 25, 2017 12:38AM
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here it is..from the news section of the site:

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26275?Game-Director-Letter:-ESO-in-2017-and-Beyond-
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Here it is..from the news section of the site:

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26275?Game-Director-Letter:-ESO-in-2017-and-Beyond-

aha, nice, thank you :). I have already read that article, but I somehow missed that :).

ok, so here it is also for the others :) :

Matt Firor:
    Edited by altemriel on December 25, 2017 8:34AM
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭

have you seen the size of those hotel rooms? you cant fit a crate in there. i know. i tried. it was one of the first items i got and it takes up like 2/3 of the room.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »

have you seen the size of those hotel rooms? you cant fit a crate in there. i know. i tried. it was one of the first items i got and it takes up like 2/3 of the room.

yes, I did not think about those "hotel rooms", I meant the houses (small, medium, large ones) ;)

but anyway, you know, we have magic skills in the game, teleportation wayshrines, "magical" barbershop appearance change, even race change, so I would not see any issue with "magical" storage crates, creating a small pocket plane of oblivion for example, being a small box 1,5 x 1,5, but being able to store 200 - 300 items ;)
    Edited by altemriel on December 25, 2017 10:28AM