Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Transmutation or Wizard Riposte for my build?

ascan7
ascan7
✭✭✭
I am a Nighblade Healer. I do not plan to do high level vet trials and so on (at least not yet), i'd like to just enjoy the content of the game (both pvp and pve) and have fun.
These are the set i plan to use, with light armor and double restoration staff:
2 pieces of Chokethorn set
4 pieces of Spell Power Cure, 5 on the front bar

I need a back bar set and i don't know if i should use Transmutation or Wizard Riposte, they look very similar. Can someone help me?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These three sets are all light armor ... so for PvP you’d better have a plan to mitigate critical damage while still healing.

There are two ways to mitigate critical damage in PvP:

- Having at least one (1) damage shield slotted (more than one is preferred) ... with 100% uptime through recast. Nightblades don’t really have a class damage shield. However, you can slot healing ward from the restoration staff line.
    - Wearing four (4) or more pieces of impenetrable armor. 5 is preferred.

Spell Power Cure (SPC) is a great set for buffing the group ... and that applies in PvP as well. SPC is not a great set for sustain, however. To supplement SPC, Transmutation is a way better option for sustain than Wizard’s Riposte. But, the Transmutation 5-pc bonus has zero use in PvE.

If it were me, I’d get separate gear setups for PvE and PvP ... especially since healing on a Nightblade leaves less room for error than it does on other classes. If you already have SPC jewelry, then there are a lot of options for you including craftable sets.
  • ascan7
    ascan7
    ✭✭✭
    I know that crit resistance isn't useful for PvE, but i don't know what else to do.
    I would mainly play PvP, but still play PvE for quests and veteran dungeons.
    If you already have SPC jewelry, then there are a lot of options for you including craftable sets.
    Can you provide me some examples please?
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Transmutation is a really good set on a NB, you can proc it on yourself/team playing solo or with a small group, and can provide extra utility as a group healer using healing springs. Riposte wouldn’t be a guarantee like trans would. Can’t say for pve.

rip decibel
  • ascan7
    ascan7
    ✭✭✭
    I have considered using other sets like Worm Cult for the back bar, but i don't it would be a good idea having such a similar set bonus active only in 1 bar. So i wanted an effect that could be useful even after switching bar and SPC, transmutation and wizard's riposte fit this category.
    Alternatively, i could use something like War Maiden for the back bar?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ascan7 wrote: »
    I have considered using other sets like Worm Cult for the back bar, but i don't it would be a good idea having such a similar set bonus active only in 1 bar. So i wanted an effect that could be useful even after switching bar and SPC, transmutation and wizard's riposte fit this category.
    Alternatively, i could use something like War Maiden for the back bar?

If you have 5-pc SPC (including jewelry), then why not run the other 5-pc set on both bars?

I have an old screenshot of my templar healer ... taken 5+ months ago when working on the sustain issues following the Morrowind patch.

But, the screenshot is still illustrative of how you can fit two (2) 5-pc sets together without having to worry about losing effects on weapon swap. It also shows how you can integrate another 5-pc crafted set.

I have one piece of Iceheart in the screenshot ... but you could use whatever monster set piece. Or, you could use Asylum or vMA weapons if you have those.

AZ7l7K0.png
    Edited by Taleof2Cities on December 18, 2017 6:39PM
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will struggle to proc wizard riposte in PvE
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • ascan7
    ascan7
    ✭✭✭
    So both Wizard Riposte and Transmutation will be highly ineffective in pvp... then do you think that i could still survive in pvp with War Maiden on the back bar and 4 piece impenetrable?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So both Wizard Riposte and Transmutation will be highly ineffective in pvp... then do you think that i could still survive in pvp with War Maiden on the back bar and 4 piece impenetrable?

These two are pretty good sets in PvP ... but, yes, highly ineffective in PvE.

War Maiden is a good damage set, but that doesn't fit the healer role very well and won't help with sustain.

That makes crafted sets worth looking into: Seducer, Magnus', Kagrenac's, and Shacklebreaker would all be decent for sustain. Plus, you could craft those in either light or heavy depending on your playstyle.

By the way, on my Templar Healer I am currently wearing the same gear setup as in the screenshot ... but have swapped out SPC for Worm's Raiment.

I mostly run in small to medium sized raid groups (6-14 players) in Cyrodiil. The Worm 12-person buff is helpful utility for those types of groups.
    Edited by Taleof2Cities on December 19, 2017 10:42PM
  • ascan7
    ascan7
    ✭✭✭

War Maiden is a good damage set, but that doesn't fit the healer role very well and won't help with sustain.

That makes crafted sets worth looking into: Seducer, Magnus', Kagrenac's, and Shacklebreaker would all be decent for sustain. Plus, you could craft those in either light or heavy depending on your playstyle.

By the way, on my Templar Healer I am currently wearing the same gear setup as in the screenshot ... but have swapped out SPC for Worm's Raiment.

I mostly run in small to medium sized raid groups (6-14 players) in Cyrodiil. The Worm 12-person buff is helpful utility for those types of groups.

So you suggest dropping the 2nd bonus of the monster set... kinda sad, i wanted to try that strangler :S
    What i may try is having Kagrenac on the backbar
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you suggest dropping the 2nd bonus of the monster set... kinda sad, i wanted to try that strangler :S
    What i may try is having Kagrenac on the backbar

I have seen a few healers run Chokethorn in Cyrodiil ... and there's certainly nothing holding you back from playing how you want to play.

The main complaint I hear from players is that the Chokethorn proc is only single target ... versus Rkugamz or Earthgore which affect multiple allies. But, the HoT is nice especially when solo or in small groups. Try it out for yourself and see if it offers any intangibles on your healing. You can always swap gear later if you don't like it.

Kagrenac's is a good all-around set. Healers really shouldn't be resurrecting players in group play (PvE or PvP). But, the 5-pc bonus is nice when the group wipes and you're the only one left (or when running solo).

Bottom Line: If you're running SPC as the main 5-pc, make sure you find something that will help with magicka sustain . The SPC set itself doesn't offer a lot in that department. The Atronach mundus can help with sustain ... but then you're missing out on either the Ritual or the Thief making your healing output sort of "meh".

Edited by Taleof2Cities on December 21, 2017 1:33AM
  • ascan7
    ascan7
    ✭✭✭
    Well i play mostly with 1 friend, maybe 2, so small group healing is ideal for me. That's why i wanted to try Chokethorn. Rezzing is also good because we rez each other a lot in pvp
    So i'll go with Chokethorn, SPC on the healing bar and Kagrenac on the "damage" bar.
    Since you were so kind, any other advice?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have fun!
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad I came across this thread, SPC is a pain to get tho :(
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP