The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

We Finally Know How Many Active Players Are Adventuring In Tamriel

Korah_Eaglecry
Korah_Eaglecry
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
According to an article on MCV mcvuk.com/articles/publishing/ten-million-in-tamriel-the-slow-build-success-story-of-elder-scrolls-online published just 2 days ago indicates that the actual active playerbase month-to-month is in fact far smaller than the 10 million milestone ZOS likes to boast. The actual number is 2.5 million players, which is still a healthy number for an MMO, but by far nothing close to the very misleading number reflective of players that have made accounts over the life of the game.

Theres still a question of how many of those 2.5 million are actual players and not bots. But at least we now know that the game is indeed healthy.

EDIT: Fixed link to article.
Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on December 21, 2017 9:49PM
Penniless Sellsword Company
Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2.5 mil active is a good number. Keep in mind some MMO's like Rift only have some 600-700 players active.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I see no link to the article. How'd they calculate that number?

I'd actually be really surprised if it's indeed in the millions. The "10 million" part is pretty obviously "any account ever created"(probably including giveaway weekends too), 8/10 people who ever made an account probably didn't even complete the first main quest. I think some console people shared some console statistics a while ago and it was like 10% had first mainquest done or something.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder sometimes if every player I see is a bot and I'm the only human player left...
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    I see no link to the article. How'd they calculate that number?

I'd actually be really surprised if it's indeed in the millions. The "10 million" part is pretty obviously "any account ever created"(probably including giveaway weekends too), 8/10 people who ever made an account probably didn't even complete the first main quest. I think some console people shared some console statistics a while ago and it was like 10% had first mainquest done or something.

Yeah sorry, for some reason even when I link the actual article it still wants to take you to the front page... Trying to remedy that now. In the meantime just search Elder Scrolls Online in their search bar.
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i play daily, and if i was to give an estimation of how many people i see daily in both PvP and PvE i would have to say is around maybe at MOST about 10,000 people. and that would be an exaggeration and very leaniant amount of people.
    now your numbers might be just accounts opened and not actually playing eso, but my numbers are stating people i see daily.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "and 2.5m monthly active users" - is that what you're referring to? I wonder what they mean by "monthly active", "logged in >=1 times in the last 31 days"?
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "and 2.5m monthly active users" - is that what you're referring to? I wonder what they mean by "monthly active", "logged in >=1 times in the last 31 days"?

This is a good point. Definitions of "active" vary widely. I wish there was a way we could find out.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tamriel’s running like a well-oiled machine. Every quarter brings a fresh batch of content for Bethesda’s The Elder Scrolls Online, engaging more and more players each time.

Yet, ESO’s success was not a foregone conclusion, as the MMORPG hit a few bumps when it launched back in 2014 and was met with mixed reviews.

Three years down the road, and with developer Zenimax Online Studios having worked hard to polish the title and provide regular content, ESO just released its eighth piece of DLC, Clockwork City, and reached ten million players earlier this year (and 2.5m monthly active users). A milestone that the studio celebrated last week by offering a Free Play Week and organising in-game events to please its community.

And the ESO community is something Zenimax Online Studio president and game director Matt Firor is really proud about.

“ESO has attracted a lot of players since launch, we announced we had ten million players last June so I think the community has evolved into a very stable group of people that love Elder Scrolls games and online RPGs,” he tells MCV. “We have a lot of crossover of console players, Elder Scrolls players, traditional MMO players and they all kind of mix together in ESO and it makes the game better for that because it’s not just one type of gamer. I was reading the message board and there was a console player who was playing for the first time and was like ‘How do I play this game? I’m used to Grand Theft Auto!’ But that’s why it’s so good, it’s because it has a really diverse mix of different player types.”

Bringing the game to console a year after release is what helped ESO to diversify its fanbase, Firor explains.

“We had a big change when the console versions launched. That brought in all these players who played Skyrim and Oblivion on consoles. That brought in a lot of good energy because it brought in people who weren’t very much tied to traditional WoW-style MMOs. I think that was the biggest change. And it was all for the better because now different types of players mix and everyone learns to play the game they want to play.”

He’s keen to emphasise that knowing who your players are is the key to engagement as it allows the team to aim content at different types of players – and it probably explains why the game has met with so much success.

“You can have three different players who play ESO regularly describe the game and they’ll describe a completely different game because it’s so big and there’s PvP and there’s dungeons and there’s exploration… But, with each of our DLC, we try to aim the content at a different player type so that everyone has new things in the type of gameplay that they like. So in Morrowind, for example, we added a huge zone and a lot of stories and exploration but we also added a new PvP type. We also had the Horns of the Reach, which is a dungeon DLC, so we really try to keep new content coming to each of the different kinds of players.”

WIND WAKER

Morrowind was more than DLC though. It’s what Zenimax Online Studios calls a new chapter: a full expansion pack that released in June and also launched at retail. For Firor, boxed products are another key to maintain engagement, as they act as a reminder.

“Sure retail means boxes but it also means digital sales on PlayStation and Xbox consoles, or on Steam. So it’s definitely relevant. I would say in Europe it’s a little more relevant than in the States or Canada where a lot of people download, meaning mainly digital sales. But it’s always good to have a ‘new product’ [at retail] because it keeps the game very fresh in people’s minds. They walk into the store and they see it like ‘Oh, I remember that!’, so it’s always good.”

It proved to be a smart move as Morrowind had strong physical launch sales in the UK despite being a digital focused title. And there’s more of this strategy to come, Firor tells us.

“Morrowind was the ‘next level’ of our strategy and it’s proven to be very very successful so I think we’ll stick with, hopefully, annual chapters, like bigger things, and then DLC every quarter. We’ll keep up with that.”

Chapters like Morrowind help to expand the community as well, as players are free to start from this point without knowing the base game. As such, Morrowind’s success marked the beginning of a shift of strategy for Zenimax – one that the company will continue to apply in the future, Firor says.

“Part of the strategy we started with Morrowind was when we release a chapter, we want players to start there, right? So it almost feels like a new game and it’s funny cause most single-player console games are 20, 30, 50 hours of content – that’s how big Morrowind is! It’s the size of a full console game. And so if a player wants to buy the game, just play through Morrowind and then stop, that’s fine. It has its own tutorial and it’s a little better than the old tutorial because that was done so long ago.

“So every time we do a chapter, we’ll do that, we’ll have a tutorial and you could just start and play there or you can bring your own character over. And that gives new players the chance to jump in and they don’t feel like they are behind the curve.”

FINDING A BALANCE

Despite 2017 being a troubled time for micro-transactions, ESO’s economy doesn’t seem to be affected by such controversy (though you’d always find complaints about it on the game’s forums), with its business model having found a balance between non-compulsory subscriptions, microtransactions and in-game currency purchases.

“We still have subscriptions and a lot of players still subscribe, it’s just optional, and so our DLC model is that if you subscribe you get access to all the DLC [for free], or you can buy them with in-game currency. So that has been very successful. And, of course, we have the Crown Store which is more for customisation and cool mounts and stuff like that and that’s done super well too.”

Having finally found its pace despite middling beginnings, ESO is now here to stay, as Matt Firor and his teams have ambitious plans for the MMO’s future.

“We have a good thing going, we’re extremely successful, we just want to make sure we keep DLC coming, make sure we fix bugs and polish combat and keep a lot of content coming through chapters,” he says. “We have two years, at least, of things I know are going in and then we have ideas for after that.”

He continues: “Regular content, keeping players happy, that’s all we’re doing. ESO is very much a game-as-a-service, which is a term we don’t use a lot but it really is a service at this point, and so we want to make sure that it works and keep a lot of new stuff coming in.”

With ESO being well on track to keep achieving great things, and having worked at Zenimax Online Studios since day one, we dare to ask Firor if he and his teams will ever work on a new project anytime soon. He smiles: “At some point maybe but we have so much more to do on ESO that it’s hard to think about that.“

And the tl;dr regarding active users for anyone who does not want the whole article:
    Three years down the road, and with developer Zenimax Online Studios having worked hard to polish the title and provide regular content, ESO just released its eighth piece of DLC, Clockwork City, and reached ten million players earlier this year (and 2.5m monthly active users). A milestone that the studio celebrated last week by offering a Free Play Week and organising in-game events to please its community.

Does not really specify how the number was reached
    linking may work this way
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Its possible they are fluffing their numbers for this like they are the 10 million. So its definitely possible their lowest minimum could be just logging in for 1 day out of 30. But I dont think we are ever going to get a deeper insight into the numbers beyond this.
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very curious and enlightening... I had a mind-numbing exchange with some... Person... Who was claiming the active play base was about 100,000 or so and ESO+ members were even less, so we can finally put to bed this much needed Revenue myth used to justify Price Gouging and Crime Crates. :*<3
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's likely the 2.5m is misrepresented.

Most 'players' are bots.

I don't know about other servers but my server is pretty dead. Even in peak hours its very notable how much less players there are around the main city's.

We don't even have a full pvp campaign anymore, its never pop locked by everyone, usually 1-2 bar for most of the day and maybe 1-2 alliances will go to 3 bars later on.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is very curious and enlightening... I had a mind-numbing exchange with some... Person... Who was claiming the active play base was about 100,000 or so and ESO+ members were even less, so we can finally put to bed this much needed Revenue myth used to justify Price Gouging and Crime Crates. :*<3

That I actually would be more willing to believe than 2.5 million. I doubt we will ever know for sure though.
  • billp_ESO
    billp_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    2.5 million active monthly users. A very loose number. If that counts logins per month, it could be a lot less. If everyone logs in everyday, and they count that as 30 logins per player, the real number could be closer to 100,000 UNIQUE players.
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Best statistics are still the ones that you doctored yourself, keep that in mind. If ZOS would think they had "super" numbers they would be way more specific, nontheless ESO manages to maintain way more players than most other MMOs.
    Edited by Alcast on December 21, 2017 10:17PM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [

That I actually would be more willing to believe than 2.5 million. I doubt we will ever know for sure though.

Why am I not surprised that you would believe a random person with no facts and no way to back up their claim. But you'll question actual numbers that ZOS is owning up to.

ZOS might be misrepresenting the numbers but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out why they would be misrepresenting. But why use these numbers and not drastically larger numbers if they are being completely dishonest? 2.5 million isnt even close to WoWs numbers at the same point in its lifecycle.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whats with people and lacking understanding of basic numbers and principles.

If they say they have 10M users they obviously mean they sold 10M copies.
    If they say they have 2.5M monthly users, they obviously mean 2.5M users logged to the game at least once in past month.

There was never anything misleading or hard to understand on this very basic concept of reporting numbers.

Also #1 rule of reporting these stats, use the biggest number applicable for what you are reporting. Nobody will ever say monthly active players and count only those that logged each day or each week.
    Edited by SodanTok on December 21, 2017 10:18PM
  • Rainraven
    Rainraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »
    I wonder sometimes if every player I see is a bot and I'm the only human player left...

Yes.

They may delete me for telling you this. Remember me!
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    billp_ESO wrote: »
    2.5 million active monthly users. A very loose number. If that counts logins per month, it could be a lot less. If everyone logs in everyday, and they count that as 30 logins per player, the real number could be closer to 100,000 UNIQUE players.

I would think users mean individual accounts. of course select people have multiple accounts and it includes people who log in once a month but with how well backed the game is they are making a lot of money or we would not get the content and see the advertisements. even if someone trolls me and says "what content" just because you don't like it, there is a lot of *** content and very fast paced this game has gone through since console launch. so likely the number of 6+ hour a day gamers is WAAAAY smaller, but casuals included i dont think they would like say the 2.5 monthly users and be talkign about daily logins no matter if its the same account, and if they are then lol that is sketchy, but i would put money that's not the case, considering the backlash they would get.

but anyone who says the game is dying, no one takes them seriously anyways. and whoever said that most those are bots, just lol, bots would not have a business without a big playerbase, you have people breaking the law to make money off something, that means that enough people are willing to BUY THE BOT GOLD to have a full fledged business mean ESO is BIG

sorry for typos, I'm at work i don't have time to read my own post lmao
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a bot train one time, in Stonefalls, about six months ago.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well concurrent users on Steam is around 10,000 as an average.

If Steam is 50% of the playerbase (probably less) then concurrent users would be 20,000 on PC on average.

They did say that the number of players is around equal across al platforms so concurrent users for all platforms would be 60,000.

If those 60k users are logged in for only 2 hours out of a 24 hour cycle then that is around 8% of the total playerbase. Which would mean around 750,000 total playerbase.

Now this is all based on averages so it is inherently using assumptions, but I can see with a few changes to some key numbers (the Steam % of total PC players would be a big one) how they can get to 2.5 million accounts logged in in the last month.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i play daily, and if i was to give an estimation of how many people i see daily in both PvP and PvE i would have to say is around maybe at MOST about 10,000 people. and that would be an exaggeration and very leaniant amount of people.
    now your numbers might be just accounts opened and not actually playing eso, but my numbers are stating people i see daily.

You are only in one instance though, with no way of knowing how many players are in another instance.

I do know I have to go way out into the boonies if I want to do a delve all by my lonesome and more often than not when I go to pick a treasure chest a sorc pet is going to be flapping its wings right in my way.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't read whole thread, just a couple of whiny replies. You know that they have never stated ten million people currently playing right? They've always said that that's how many copies they've sold. I believe this is the first time I've seen em say how monthly players there are. Even if they count accounts that logged in for a minute that's higher than what I was figuring.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BuddyAces wrote: »
    Didn't read whole thread, just a couple of whiny replies. You know that they have never stated ten million people currently playing right? They've always said that that's how many copies they've sold. I believe this is the first time I've seen em say how monthly players there are. Even if they count accounts that logged in for a minute that's higher than what I was figuring.

From the article.

“ESO has attracted a lot of players since launch, we announced we had ten million players last June so I think the community has evolved into a very stable group of people that love Elder Scrolls games and online RPGs,” he (Firor) tells MCV.

Some day they say it's copies, another day it's players. I guess they get confused with their own lies now.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well there you go then, you've rumbled them. By playing in every instance of every zone simultaneously across all the servers and platforms 24/7 your player headcount is clearly far more accurate than the figures they've come up with from their data.
    Edited by Tandor on December 21, 2017 11:07PM
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah ok I didn't read the whole article since I figured they were just spouting off that ten million copies thing. Dunno if a slip of the tongue happened there or what but ten million active players?? Gonna call shenanigans.

Edit:
    Going to guess that they are talking how many accounts including inactive ones they have.
    Edited by BuddyAces on December 21, 2017 11:09PM

• andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah ok I didn't read the whole article since I figured they were just spouting off that ten million copies thing. Dunno if a slip of the tongue happened there or what but ten million active players?? Gonna call shenanigans.

Yep, me too. That number has got to be copies.

And as discussed above, the 2.5M might be log ins or any other way they came up with that makes the player count look good. If they would focus on working on their game as much as they focus on marketing more people might enjoy the game.
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what i wonder is why compared to BDO and warframe and WOW- the streamer viewer base is literally 10 percent of those other games. those games regularly hit 3000 viewers at a time- this game barely hits 300. if our player base matches those- why is the support on twitch so poor i wonder?
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    andreasv wrote: »

Yep, me too. That number has got to be copies.

And as discussed above, the 2.5M might be log ins or any other way they came up with that makes the player count look good. If they would focus on working on their game as much as they focus on marketing more people might enjoy the game.

I have zero doubt that the 2.5m is probably right. Factor in every country and platform then yeah, there you go. It is a popular game. Now how many are subs and how often they played is up for grabs.

• Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk I also play every day both pvp and pve on PS4 eu and peak times I would see under a thousand peeps roughly
    Btw yesterday off peak I saw three in eldenroot and 4 in cyrodil
    Edited by Kram8ion on December 21, 2017 11:19PM
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's likely the 2.5m is misrepresented.

Most 'players' are bots.

I don't know about other servers but my server is pretty dead. Even in peak hours its very notable how much less players there are around the main city's.

We don't even have a full pvp campaign anymore, its never pop locked by everyone, usually 1-2 bar for most of the day and maybe 1-2 alliances will go to 3 bars later on.

Your lack of population is likely because the population segment you are in may be much more interested in pve.

Consider... there are a million-ish monthly active players on your platform. But no way do you have that many in your text chat. That pile of people has to get divided into manageable chunks, separate from each other. The chunk you are in may, on average, be more heavily into running dungeons or trials and be dismissive of pvp.
    Xbox NA
This discussion has been closed.