The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should The Devs Correct Cyordiil's Topography in ESO?

Vanthras79
Vanthras79
✭✭✭✭✭
After playing TES IV many times through I feel like the version of Cyrodiil we get is a bit of a hot mess and a botched lore job by the development team. Here are some small examples I have found.
1. The Jerall Mountains in no way resemble the Jeralls I remember from Oblivion. They look like an alpine hills rather than mountain passes around the loftly Jerrals. Plus Bruma no longer sits on a steep cliff. I think the mountain topography could make for some rather strategic play (not all battles have fair and even topography.) and the players should adapt to the change in terrain.
2. The Great Forest is not all that great. The trees are a lot smaller, and less densely populated. Again this looks more like a pasture and less like a forest.
3. The Niben River is far too shallow and narrow. How are large ships ever supposed to get to the waterfront district when the river is unable to navigate by a large vessel.
4. The bridge crossing the Niben would not allow for large ships to pass through, and it is far too narrow. (see also point number 3.)
5. There should be only one bridge into the Imperial City, and that should be from western bank.
6. The imperial city is rotated to accommodate three bridges into the city, and then where lore wise the city somehow un-rotates to accommodate one bridge in the later stories?

These are fairly big issues with the design for Cyrodiil that ZOS has done, That I have a particular issue with. My question is should ZOS redesign Cyrodiil to make it more immersive via lore friendly changes? And if not, why?
Edited by Vanthras79 on December 3, 2017 5:00PM
Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

Should The Devs Correct Cyordiil's Topography in ESO? 46 votes

Yes
58%
BeastnasIruil_ESOBrother_NumsieSirCriticalczarHidesFromSunAefionBloodclawLettigalldjoganipaulsimonpsApheriusThe_4O4MythicEmperorSathukaiArchMikemSovjetemilyhyoyeonVanthras79LadislaoTyrobag 27 votes
No
41%
SirAndyTurelusDhukaththomas1970b16_ESOKharnisElsonsoVarananotimetocaremb10Konstant_Tel_NecrisKeiruNicromRABIDxWOLVERINEMaryalVaranisAranoSirAxenKierroexiars10Ashyachuhuschdeguddzje 19 votes
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Most of these things could have easily changed in the time between TESO and Oblivion.

A lot of things can happen in 800 years ...
    shades.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on December 3, 2017 5:14PM
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Most of these things could have easily changed in the time between TESO and Oblivion.

shades.gif

The entire city magically rotating?

Non-volcanic mountains emerging from the Jerrals?

Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Vanthras79 wrote: »

shades.gif

Don't you every sit and think "man, my city would be so nice if we just rotated everything slightly."
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Riften has been changed several times before it became the one in Skyrim. The three bridges could have been turned to one after the Banner War, because it left only one way for enemy access to the city instead of three. Even adding more secret passages. As for shallows, as in real life, lakes and streams change due to amount of rain and position of the moon(s). The area around Bravil in Oblivion isn't big enough for ships, there's even an area between Bravil and Layawyne that is too shallow and small for ships, it comes hip deep, enough for dingies only. As for bridge being small for ships, there's several small bridges in Oblivion.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    After playing TES IV many times through I feel like the version of Cyrodiil we get is a bit of a hot mess and a botched lore job by the development team. Here are some small examples I have found.
    1. The Jerall Mountains in no way resemble the Jeralls I remember from Oblivion. They look like an alpine hills rather than mountain passes around the loftly Jerrals. Plus Bruma no longer sits on a steep cliff. I think the mountain topography could make for some rather strategic play (not all battles have fair and even topography.) and the players should adapt to the change in terrain.
    2. The Great Forest is not all that great. The trees are a lot smaller, and less densely populated. Again this looks more like a pasture and less like a forest.
    3. The Niben River is far too shallow and narrow. How are large ships ever supposed to get to the waterfront district when the river is unable to navigate by a large vessel.
    4. The bridge crossing the Niben would not allow for large ships to pass through, and it is far too narrow. (see also point number 3.)
    5. There should be only one bridge into the Imperial City, and that should be from western bank.
    6. The imperial city is rotated to accommodate three bridges into the city, and then where lore wise the city somehow un-rotates to accommodate one bridge in the later stories?

These are fairly big issues with the design for Cyrodiil that ZOS has done, That I have a particular issue with. My question is should ZOS redesign Cyrodiil to make it more immersive via lore friendly changes? And if not, why?

1. On the one hand, it would be nice if the geography of the area matched TES 4. On the other hand, this really isn't a wise idea. The southern half of Cyrodiil in TES 4 is very passable. That is not the case north of the Chorrol-Imperial City-Cheydinhal line, which things get very steep and mountainous. It would provide protection for the northern keeps from an east-west attack and drive the focus of the war towards the AD keeps. In the end, the playing field needs to be generally balanced across the three alliances, and that is more important than the lore.

2. Personally, I don't think this is a critical difference between the two game.

3 & 4. Have you seen the Niben River and the various bridges in Oblivion? The Imperial City is land locked. The river is not navigable by large ships. It's not even a river, despite the name. It is an inland lake with a very long tail. It does not connect to Topal Bay. The bridge is too low at Alessia for anything with tall masts. There is a wooden plank bridge across the river at Fort Redman, and the river is shallow enough to walk across there. There is a massive rock in the middle of the channel on the open side of island north of Leyawiin near White Stallion Lodge. Finally, let's not forget that there is a road across the "river" at Leyawiin and you can walk right across.

5. I agree that there should not be too many bridges leading to the city isle.

6. Yes, they should fix the rotation of the Imperial City, but they won't.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon some of the adjustments of Cyrodiil/Niben are to create a 3 way alliance war and not so much to stick perfectly to lore. Its just to make it more fair... my suspicion.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

shades.gif

A city moving? Yea. Happens alot when a city is reduced to pure rubble in its infancy
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    About n.2, there isn´t a single forest in the whole ESO game wich can actually resemble an actual forest. All we have are little grooves, or jungles with disperse trees, without any tree density in neither of them. No dark forests in Tamriel during this time...
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I think some concessions had to be made for PvP balance. Although there are still many locations where that's not the case.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Maybe Talos is a fraud and a dictating tyrant who killed anyone who didnt follow him?

Maybe some of the stories are actually false and propaganda?

Leave it as it is
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I remember climbing the mountains near Bruma and Cheydinhal in TES Oblivion. If you picked the wrong path, you'd be walking forever trying to find a path with a shallow enough slope to let you go up the mountain. Cyrodiil in ESO has plenty of impassable areas and lethal cliffs (my raid lead likes to lead our raid off most of them) but with it being a horse riding simulator already, Cyrodiil doesn't need more impassable areas. Its got plenty of bottenecks in strategic locations that provide an arena for fights (the milegates especially)

(But if ZOS wants to protect the EP and DC home keeps by sticking them in the impassable mountains, I'm sure AD won't mind at all. Not.)

As for forests, well, where do you think all that wood for our siege engines came from? We PVPers are a conservationist's nightmare with a lumbermill at every keep.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    If ESO cyrodiil was changed to look more like Oblivion cyrodiil, i would queue into a campaign so fast just to explore.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    About n.2, there isn´t a single forest in the whole ESO game wich can actually resemble an actual forest. All we have are little grooves, or jungles with disperse trees, without any tree density in neither of them. No dark forests in Tamriel during this time...

Yeah, I was really disappointed by Valenwood. I imagined dense forests with lush foliage. We were given a few trees and discount Telvanni pods.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Yeah, I was really disappointed by Valenwood. I imagined dense forests with lush foliage. We were given a few trees and discount Telvanni pods.

Grahtwood is okay, but the Wilderking Court of Greenshade is sadly missing trees. Greenshade as a whole is light on the foliage.

• Vuldovahkriid
    Vuldovahkriid
    ✭✭✭

I will say ESO definitely needs a Duskwood type of wooded area.
    Valtyr Stormblade- Nord DK CP810

Vulsahvith- Argonian NB CP810

Illidan Highborn- High Elf Sorc CP810

Thrall Durotar- Orc WD CP810

Mythos Varedis- Wood Elf TP CP810

Ra'zaq- Khajit NB CP810

Aelya Proudmoore- Breton Sorc CP810

Broxigar Saurfang- Orc DK CP810

Lady Sylvannas Windrunner- Dark Elf NB CP810

Lord Anduin Wyrnn- Breton TP CP810