Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Magblade advice

BuyMe500Pugs_Please
I want to make a character with the intention of this being my main, more pve related at the moment but eventually go into pvp. Need help with all things really, gear before level 50 and after, mundus stone, skills, race.

Best Answers

• Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty massive question, and for your main you probably do want to do your research but then ignore it and choose what you will enjoy playing. The only decision that matters is race, as everything else can be changed.

Best races. Altmer, dunmer, Argonian, Breton (broadly in that order but different builds suit different races and the difference between them all is tiny).

Skills. At least one from each skill line on each bar until you max out each skill line. The main skills you will always use are destro staff wall of elements and funnel health, everything else will take a while to unlock or depends on your build.

Gear. I only stick to crafted sets before level 50. Either 5 piece seducer or 5 piece julianos, with the other 3 pieces from the other set. I tend to wear 3 pieces of heavy, 2 medium, 2 light until about level 40 when I unlock the higher level light armor passives and switch to 5 light. It gives more resistance in the early game and the skill lines are already leveled for late game.

Traits/mindus- If you are doing pvp before level 50 then make sure you have some impenetrable trait gear, otherwise wear all training for fast pve levelling (or all divines if you want to get the most out of your fledgling). Mundus stones don't scale well at low levels so just take whatever you need most, but if you are somehow getting enough max stats, crit, recovery and penetration then the apprentice Mundus stone is considered the strongest.

Endgame - who knows, I find that I enjoy mag blade skills more than any other class so every build struggles because I want to use a couple more class skills. Here is alcast's Meta mag NB build if you want to know what to work towards.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-nightblade-build-pve/

Random tip. NB don't get access to major sorcery till late, so unlock the mages skill entropy as a priority.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
    Answer ✓
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any of the races mentioned above, I’m running Breton for PvE and pvp just because. There are a ton of options for pvp, literally. I was doing well with shacklevreaker and rattle cage, you can use war maiden and shacklebreaker, you can use innate axiom, I mean the list goes on. For PvE the easiest “BiS” sets are Julianos with Lightning and fire staves and infallible rather both five pieces and one piece kena or soemthing. This is endagame. Prior to reaching endgame level willpower jewlery and crafted sets. Julianos and seducer are good recommendations.
    Answer ✓
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best mageblade race is argonian, by a large margin. You’ll never run enough regen for altmer to provide superior magika sustain to argonian and it offers an equal amount of stam sustain.

Resourceful is crazy OP
    Answer ✓
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Came back to the thread to mention a slightly different levelling build I was thinking about for Mag NB, and as I can't test it (I have 3 max level mag nb's and no more character slots) I wanted to mention it here in case the OP wants to try it and let me know if it works.

It should work from about level 20-40 (from when you get your level 20 class skills to when you start unlocking the 5pc light armour passives), and it is based around levelling up through the daily random dungeon (you get at least one level for the first dungeon each day... 2 levels per day during the new life festival) and being able to queue and perform as both a tank and healer but doing fantastic damage too! Normally a mag nb uses either double destro staves, or detro/restro, this build uses sword and board front bar and resto back bar - swapping weapon bars swaps your 5 piece set.

Bar 1 - Sword and board, head, chest and legs (all heavy) - innate axiom set gives (up to) +400 damage to class abilities. So path of darkness, funnel health, cripple, and your tanking utility abilities like puncture and heroic slash, use the assassination ultimate so it is on your bar and you will have insane ulti-gen as well as a cheap single target damage ability.

Bar 2 - resto staff, legs and hands medium armour, shoulders and belt in light armour, all either julianos or seducer. Mutagen and combat prayer are your basic healing abilities (dot and burst), and you will buff with entropy, blur and the new agony skill that gives you major mending. Use the shadow ultimate mainly to keep one shadow ability on this bar.

Jewellery - any 3 piece, ideally the willpower set from doing random dungeons, but the withered hand set from Alik'r dolmens is so easy to get as well.

Just a random build but I imagine it would be able to perform well in all pug dungeons, as well as being survivable and strong in solo pve.
    Edited by Jim_Pipp on December 13, 2017 12:02PM
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
    Answer ✓
  • BuyMe500Pugs_Please
    Thank you:)
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited by duendology on December 12, 2017 5:27PM
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited by duendology on December 12, 2017 5:26PM
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • BuyMe500Pugs_Please
    I chose Breton, haven't made one until now. Appreciate all the responses
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    High elf or breton are the 2 best. You made a solid choice.
  • BuyMe500Pugs_Please
    It was between them too but one thing that bugs me is no black/dark hair on high elfs lol, having fun so far this class is literally made for thieves guild and dark brotherhood
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblades are crazy good at thieves and dark bro. My MB routinely finishes thieves dailies with 5 minutes left, he’s SO FAST.

For casual pve, I actually go dual wield and fire staff. I know it’s not conventional, but I like using a monster helm set and magblades have so many great class skills they don't suffer with this setup.

Julianos is probably the best base set for a Magblade. It seems made for a mb, really. The secondary set can be problematic...honestly there’s no clear choice for me, pvp or pve. They all have pros and cons, and really depend on your play style.