The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Launcher does not display / open (Host_SingleInstance)

KaptainCharles
KaptainCharles
Soul Shriven
I've contacted support about this, but no response.

My issue is that when I click the client launcher, it shows that it's running in background processes on my Task Manager, but does not display. I click to open again and it complains of Host_SingleInstance. Here's a list of things I have tried:

Complete restart of computer (several times).
A clean startup, where I disable all but microsoft processes in the msconfig, restart computer and try open ESO launcher.
A complete uninstall of the launcher and then reinstall, where it goes to the point of giving me a desktop shortcut but still, no loading of the launcher, nothing.
Ran the program as administrator, nothing.
Added the program to go through windows firewall, (even public network) nothing.
Ended process in Task Manager, nothing.
I have ran it using the Windows Compatibility troubleshooter, nothing. It was originally set to run compatibility with Windows XP (Service Pack 3), but I then changed it to Windows 8 and still nothing.
I use NVIDIA GTX 960 graphics card, no updates needed apart from one for a VR headset that won't download but I don't need it to anyway. (This has since been updated).

I'm running Windows 8, have Avast Antivirus but that firewall is turned off, and am using Windows Firewall. I bought the code for this game and redeemed it on the official site from another computer as well in case that makes any difference.

I have had this issue for about over a week now. Not been able to play the game.
  • KaptainCharles
    KaptainCharles
    Soul Shriven
    Oh, and every time I open the launcher for the first time, the window pops up saying "Would I like it to make changes to my computer" and I click Yes.
  • KaptainCharles
    KaptainCharles
    Soul Shriven
    Bump
  • LorDrek
    LorDrek
    ✭✭✭
    Open game directly. Not from launcher.
    Imperial DK stamDPS, Nord DK magTANK
    YDoA CZ/SK Guild
    @LorDrek
  • KaptainCharles
    KaptainCharles
    Soul Shriven
    I had tried that does not work.

UPDATE

This issue has appeared to have fixed itself. After just spontaneously clicking on the launcher (which I had pinned to taskbar before it automatically closed) I was given a notification my PC did not have enough space to install the game.

After de-installing a few games it installed correctly and worked.

SECOND UPDATE

It now does not display at all after my computer did a windows update >.>

I shall restart and update this thread if it works again. The dialogue box "Zenimax studios would like to make changes to this computer" always keeps popping up as well when I click to launch.
  • KaptainCharles
    KaptainCharles
    Soul Shriven
    Here is the error message I get from my launcher

Error - 118 when loading url http://127.0.0.1:51756/main.html
  • KaptainCharles
    KaptainCharles
    Soul Shriven
    I think I found my issue. The game seems to make some troubles with Avast antivirus firewall. Despite Avast telling me the firewall wasn't on (and elsewhere saying it was) the launcher wouldn't load. As soon as I disable it in both areas of the program it loads fine. ESO is an exception on the firewall however so I don't understand what is going on, perhaps it is me giving both programs admin privileges?
  • greyman
    greyman
    ✭✭
    I think I found my issue. The game seems to make some troubles with Avast antivirus firewall. Despite Avast telling me the firewall wasn't on (and elsewhere saying it was) the launcher wouldn't load. As soon as I disable it in both areas of the program it loads fine. ESO is an exception on the firewall however so I don't understand what is going on, perhaps it is me giving both programs admin privileges?

I'm not sure about this but perhaps you need to allow both the launcher (Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe) AND the game (eso.exe) to go through your firewall?
  • NAPrice
    NAPrice
    ✭✭
    Hey, not trying to be a necromancer, however, I've hit this same issue. I've done EVERYTHING to fix it (updating software, clean starts, disc defrag, uninstall+reinstall, firewall clearance).

Did bypassing Avast's firewall permanently fix it?

I've also contacted customer support, but surprisingly, no answer yet (after multiple tickets).
  • IronMercer
    IronMercer
    ✭✭✭
    I have this error too, "Error -118 when loading url http://127.0.0.1:58333/main.html"

It is definitely firewall related. I found when I disabled my AVG it connects as normal. I've added the game folder and website to exceptions but it still won't go through. I'm still attempting to add exceptions to other parts of AVG's settings without success so far. The fact that disabling AVG let's the game run confirms this is a firewall/protection issue.
    Edited by IronMercer on December 12, 2017 4:42PM
    IRON MERCER
    >:) DESPERTA FERRO!! >:)

www.checksixgaming.com
  • IronMercer
    IronMercer
    ✭✭✭
    I fixed this in AVG, it is firewall/AV protection settings.

I run AVG Internet Security. If you run this or similar AVG here is what I had to do...

Open AVG, go to Settings. Under General...

1. Uncheck Silent Mode. When you start the ESO launcher, this should then prompt to allow or deny. There is also an orange set of bars for level of allowance. Set the bars all the way to the right and then choose allow.
    2. Still under General, go down to Exceptions. Add the following two lines (change drive letter/path if you installed somewhere else...
    C:\program files (x86)\zenimax online\*
    C:\program files (x86)\bethesda.net launcher\games\tesl\*

This should fix your firewall problem and no longer produce the Error 118.
    IRON MERCER
    >:) DESPERTA FERRO!! >:)

www.checksixgaming.com