The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

More character slots

ookami007
ookami007
✭✭✭✭✭
Is there a plan to offer more character slots?
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing we've heard of since the last increase.

Doesn't mean it's not on the table but the current max is 14 and most likely we wont be seeing more soon since the last two were added not so long ago.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably won't get an answer to this from a dev.

Keep an ear to the ground for details about next year's "chapter". If it includes a new class then chances are good that they'll up the max character slots by 2 again.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ookami007 wrote: »

My guess is the next Chapter will offer new class and 2 more slots, so perhaps May/June 2018?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is the next Chapter will offer new class and 2 more slots, so perhaps May/June 2018?

I am going to suggest that it will be at 14 for a while. I think they will increase it when the business analytics numbers start to tell them that a lot of people are at 14.

Edit: I also don't expect a new class to be introduced in the next Chapter.

Edited by Elsonso on December 8, 2017 12:08AM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to suggest that it will be at 14 for a while. I think they will increase it when the business analytics numbers start to tell them that a lot of people are at 14.

I think you are right but I am worried about how zos interprets their analytics. How will they sample players? All players who ever played even though the majority no longer play? All players who have been active since morrowwind would be skewed because of the numbers of new players joining...I can't think of a valid way to sample.

Perhaps the biggest problem with using numbers is they overlook how players make decisions. Many people will be saving character slots in case they want to make a certain build in the future, but if given more slots they would be happy to start more characters as long as they kept a free slot.

I definitely want more slots.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »

I think you are right but I am worried about how zos interprets their analytics. How will they sample players? All players who ever played even though the majority no longer play? All players who have been active since morrowwind would be skewed because of the numbers of new players joining...I can't think of a valid way to sample.

Perhaps the biggest problem with using numbers is they overlook how players make decisions. Many people will be saving character slots in case they want to make a certain build in the future, but if given more slots they would be happy to start more characters as long as they kept a free slot.

By now, I am pretty sure they are very good at analyzing player data. If they have the proper combination of statistics experts and people who understand behavior looking at the players and how they are playing, they can do some amazing things with analysis. Given enough numbers and enough time.

You mention the decision to save character slots. This is significant because doing this is a blocker when it comes to getting more slots. To make it simple, when a player decides to hold some free slots, it sends the clear message that they do not need more slots. The desire to have open slots exceeds the desire to create new characters. They already have open slots. They don't need more.

The interesting player decision is when the pressure to create characters exceeds the desire to have open slots. That is when the message starts to be sent to ZOS saying, "we need more slots". It says that the player wants characters more than slots. When enough people do this, it tells ZOS that it is time.

Aside from the fact that the unsortable list of characters is getting long, there is probably no reason why we are at 14 instead of 16. They just don't want to do the work. It is not worth their time. Yet. When that changes, we will get more.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Richter said I don't think it'll go up soon and I wouldn't expect a new class in 2018. I figure they'll wait at least until 2019 to try the new class card again.

Which sucks because if it's a Necromancer like so many demand... I WANT THAT NAO!
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    As Richter said I don't think it'll go up soon and I wouldn't expect a new class in 2018. I figure they'll wait at least until 2019 to try the new class card again.

Which sucks because if it's a Necromancer like so many demand... I WANT THAT NAO!

ZOS got a lot of criticism about the "sparse" territory of Vvardenfell and the relatively few quests and things to do. A lot of that "too small" criticism probably hurt initial Morrowind sales. My hope is that, given a finite budget, they might choose to spend that budget on more extensive zone development and quests rather than a new class.

Secondly, Wrobel is already working on other things related to classes and skills and can probably spend oodles of time on that without needing to factor in another class.

I think they will do another class, eventually. Hopefully, not Necromancer. Whether that will be the next time they add character slots, we will see. It might be.
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, they said they will wait a little time before they introduce a new class ( and with it prob new slots)
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't think it has to do with how many current players used up 14 slots. Simply has to do with whether they will release new class in 2018 or not. I doubt they would release any new class without increasing character slots for people to try it.

Hopefully we will get one new chapter every year, each including new class and 2 more char slots become available.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS got a lot of criticism about the "sparse" territory of Vvardenfell and the relatively few quests and things to do. A lot of that "too small" criticism probably hurt initial Morrowind sales. My hope is that, given a finite budget, they might choose to spend that budget on more extensive zone development and quests rather than a new class.

Secondly, Wrobel is already working on other things related to classes and skills and can probably spend oodles of time on that without needing to factor in another class.

I think they will do another class, eventually. Hopefully, not Necromancer. Whether that will be the next time they add character slots, we will see. It might be.
    I don't think we can be friends any more.

Joking aside I agree with you (apart from Necromancer), and I really am interested to see what ZOS puts out for the next expansion to make it meet or exceed the items which gave Morrowind Value.
    Edited by Turelus on December 8, 2017 1:24PM
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think we can be friends any more.

Joking aside I agree with you (apart from Necromancer), and I really am interested to see what ZOS puts out for the next expansion to make it meet or exceed the items which gave Morrowind Value.

Oh, definitely.

The part about seeing what they are doing, not the part about not being friends. :smiley:

Even without a class, I would like it if they increased character slots and made the character list sortable. I see those as going hand-in-hand. Personally, I would just set character slots at 20 and let them sit for a while, rather than inching them up like they are a level cap.

Morrowind was the initial attempt at the balance between content and price. I think they got real close, but there is always room to fine tune it. I thought it was a little expensive for what we got, and I am interested to see if they can find a way to give us more value at the same price. While tying character slots to a Chapter would not be my first choice, permanently assigning one or two new character slots with the purchase of the Chapter (vs Crown slots) would be an interesting way to add value.

I realize that Necromacer is off topic, so if anyone creates a new thread about it, I will gladly share what I think they should do instead of a Necromancer class.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Eventually Zos will add more slots. A good chance when they add another class eventually.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The criticism about Vvardenfell being "sparse" is justified criticism. There was not enough content and many of the cities feel extremely empty and pointless after doing the quests. A place like Balmora which is one of my favorite cities looks-wise but offers no reason for me to go back due to them offering no goods or services is a real disappointment. Also the Sheogorad region isn't even accessible despite being on the map as a landmass. I remember being extremely disappointed after trying to swim there and being eaten by slaughterfish.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you are right but I am worried about how zos interprets their analytics.

One factor you didn't consider is that they desperately want players to buy multiple accounts because the key analytic is number of accounts sold. ESO hasn't done too well on that one.

That's why storage is tight, there's a 10 player minimum to get a guild bank and why we periodically see "average player" posts here proclaiming the amazing opportunities that buying multiple accounts has for storage. And when Morrowind released also lots of posts about how awesome it would be to start over fresh on a new account.

This will be one factor in the character limit. The lower that is the more likely someone is to buy another account. I did at one point when I saw it going cheap at a local store back when 8 characters was the limit.

But as with many elements of the game, other design aspects work against it. Eg. all the limited time offer crown store stuff. None of that is portable to other accounts and can never be obtained again short of it eventually turning up in crates, you taking up gambling and at potentially enormous expense. So if you've bought any of that stuff - and I have on one one account - you're married to that account.