The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO does not start.

clydewjjrub17_ESO
clydewjjrub17_ESO
Soul Shriven
After clicking play in the launched ESO does not respond. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, repaired files. I even purchased the Steam version thinking that might work. Exactly the same response. I have been playing ESO for a long time. Only in the last few weeks have I had this problem. I checked the live folder and have the usersettings file. I when I uninstalled the reinstall is on my D: drive. Looking for suggestions. GPU is a GTX980M.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Two additional steps you can take that may help with your launcher are checking anti-virus settings and deleting the program data. Steps for doing each are listed below.

Create an Anti-virus or Firewall Exception for ESO

Each antivirus program is different and we recommend that you view the antivirus developer's website for full instructions on how to add exceptions.

The application files that may require exceptions are:
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

Some antivirus programs require entire folders to be selected instead of a single file.When this is the case, the file paths below are what you should use. If required by the anti-virus program, include all subfolders since every file is critical to run the game.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

Delete the Program Data
    1. Close the ESO Launcher.
    2. Navigate to the patch installation folder,
    3. By default, this folder will be located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher\ProgramData.
    4. Locate and delete the ProgramData folder.
    5. Restart the ESO Launcher.

Please let us know if either of these steps allows the Play button to work in your launcher.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, clicking on the play button merely scrolls it through three brightness settings.

Game does not launch.

And yes, I made the exceptions, and then turned off my anti-virus and firewall.

I've deleted the program files twice, once resulting in a long download.

The Play button still doesn't work.

This started after the patch on 28 November.
    Edited by Hluill on November 29, 2017 3:10PM
    Black-handed Hluill and his daughter Leyek of House Numaril.
  • clydewjjrub17_ESO
    clydewjjrub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Verified firewall exceptions, deleted ProgramData folder. No help. Disabled firewall. No help. Uninstalled, deleted folders, re-installed on drive D:. No help! STUCK!
  • clydewjjrub17_ESO
    clydewjjrub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    BTW - Purchased ESO on steam. Same problem. ESO not responding! It's odd that at random times, days apart it will work. Could it be my ISP "Specturm" is causing a problem. How do I determine?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @clydewjjrub17_ESO

Please check your inbox as we've messaged you regarding the support ticket you opened.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    I ended up uninstalling. Then I shut off my firewall. Re-installed. The play button now responds!
    Black-handed Hluill and his daughter Leyek of House Numaril.