Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Returning player looking for solo advice

LordSemaj
LordSemaj
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm running a Sorcerer Werewolf that primarily uses a two-handed sword and used to run heavy armor too. My current attributes are divided across all three stats because hybrids actually worked in the before time, in the long long ago with minimal disadvantage and a lot of gain. I'm looking to run a decent solo build for the new content of the past two years and I'm wondering whether hybrids are even viable currently. Are there any gear sets that benefit hybrids or should I respec to a singular stat?

Previously I enjoyed the tanky sustain of this build with its reliable damage output. I could solo boss fights a few levels above me with a mix of CC, durability, healing, and combined magic and weapon attacks, focusing on overall damage buff synergy and just enough survival. Now I'm not sure what to build.

Ideally I'd still like to use a mix of skills because getting in the face with a sword while supplementing with lightning was an effective skirmisher tactic. But only if I'm not gimping myself in the process. I don't need max dps or some dungeon build focused on being a squishy nuker, just something that can handle open world questing and major bosses solo.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're just doing the overworld content (no group dungeons, no trials or PvP) then you should be fine a hybrid as it's not that challenging (especially if you know mechanics, or have CP).

However you're probably going to want to go Stamina/Medium armour focus at some point for better damage. They changed a lot of the class skills to have stamina morphs, so sorcerer now has a "wind/stone" thematic morph for some skills which will do physical damage (scales with stamina).

You can check various end game builds on AlcastHQ and Tamriel Foundry (both linked in my signature) but they're normally more focused on end game group content with min/max than casual play (but still work for that).
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Turelus, and those are good build site references.

I don’t find hybrids viable, or fun, honestly. However, your toon sounds like it’s off to a good start as a Stam Sorc. The good news here is that stam sorcs are way fun, powerful, and in a way they’re still kinda hybrid - they have a couple of really good abilities that morph into stam versions, and they use their magic pool for some really powerful buffs and wards.

My advice...experiment a bit as a pure stam dps and see if you like it better. Take note of your damage output now, like how much on average do you hit for? Then go spend some coin on a recast. Go all stamina in attributes (use armor enchants for health if you ever need it). If you have CPs, go with the standard stamina allocation. For skills, unlock and work up stamina options. You’ll be working with a lot more weapon skills than class skills. Then gear up in stam sets. Don’t spend a fortune...maybe you won’t want to stay pure stamina. Go dual wield and bow or 2h. 6 or 7 pieces medium. Hundings Rage and spriggans. Start with blue jewelry on spriggans to save some money for testing the build before committing to expensive gear. Hundings / Night Mother / Agility is also perfectly fine.

Then see how hard you hit. A well-speced Stam Sorc is a slasher demon with powerful aoe, and awesome sustain. Alcast’s build is great, but it’s for trials and end game. For solo normal content you can bring in dark deal and critical surge. The first will give you lots of resources, which is helpful in this update, and surge is a great source for brutality and heals.

I’m betting this respec will give you 30-40% more power and still play the way you prefer. Like you mention enjoying a sword with lightning attacks as a backup. In this pure stam build we take out the lightning, but you keep aoe hits through hurricane, and you can use shrouded daggers as ranged dps while kiting like you probably were with the lightning attacks. Or use bow attacks to replace the ranged magic. You want to keep the play style so it’s fun for you, but try to bring in stamina attacks. In this update, hybrids honestly lose half their potential power by trying to have the best of both worlds.