Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Magicka Templar versus Magicka Sorcerers dps comparison.

Ximinetto
Ximinetto
✭✭✭
I have 2 chars, first i created the Sorcerer, but i feel weak in dps,still using dark magic. Later i tryed the Templar, for the holy warrior role, reading the skills i selected the dawn wrath skill tree, and the dps is higher while the magicka consumption is lower. The Sorcerrr dark magic attacks relyes in CC, while the Templar dawns wrath relies in pure dps. I come here for discuss which one is better , assuming all the CPs unlocked ror the two, for a pvp/duel/mass pvp. My Argonian Sorcerer need more magicka cus i need to use regurally the heavy attacks of my staff, while my Breton Templar can kill two npcs without use heavy attacks for recharge magicka. My main is the Argonian cus is my favorite race,but Bretons passives are better for magicka resources. Which one is better?
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    I mean is normal that dps of the Sorcerer is lower than the Templar and consume more magicka?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In general, Sorcs have a slight edge in DPS due to their class passives.

That said, continue to play what you enjoy playing.

You can always work on your Sorc’s DPS at a later time.
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    @duendology has given you some really solid advice in your other post. You really need to just play the characters you like to play for a little while, unlock the skills, morph them and see which ones you are comfortable with and practice. Also skill passives are huge, for instance, light armor passives will reduce spell cost, increase regeneration and spell penetration. You most likely haven't even unlocked most of these yet.

Additionally, you're not going to pump out awesome DPS by using a single skill line. Sorc DPS (and basically every other class) shines when using a combination of skills from various skill lines (i.e.Dark Magic, Storm Calling, Summoning, Destruction Staff and Mages Guild for a Sorc). Rotations are also very important to DPS output, but I'd say worrying about all this right now is kind of like trying to run before you have even learned to walk yet.

Login, pick a character and enjoy the ride, you will learn as you go.
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian is your favorite.I call them "dragons" ;) so let's focus on them...even though this one race I haven't tried yet... but let's briefly examine the passives for this race:
    en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Argonian

- due to Argonians high self-healing (as well as healing given) abilities, bonus to leveling quickly restoration stuff, Argonians are good healers..ESPECIALLY if class you choose is Templar or Warden
    - poison resistance, self-healing, and max-health,stamina, magicka too, make them good tanks too (DragonKnight class would be my pick)

Unlike Bretons or High Elves, Argonians - without some buffs (glyphs on armor, special traits on armor, or in consumables) - have no "easy" magica flow, as I am used to calling it. hence your dps on Argonian is lower. Examine Breton's passives too.
    en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Breton

And like @r3turn2s3nd3r suggested, you haven't probably unlocked all your passives yet on both characters, and the kind of armour you wear on both characters play a role here too.

Examine what buffs give certain armour. Medium is generally chosen for dps melee characters, heavy for tanks, and light for sorcerers/templars. Between these there are hybrid builds to give each class some extra perks or "shield" them ;)

For now, focus on trying out skill lines, go quest and look for skyshard to get more skill points (get a skyshard add-on. It will save you much time. All delves and many public dungeons have skyshards in them. Each quest from Main Quest line grants you one skill point. Also there are plenty side quests or dlc quests also giving a bonus skill point on completion )

You will worry about "I have nothing to wear" when you reach level 50.. going to "grind" for some serious stuff now it's pointless as you're still levelling up and unlocking skill lines. ;) The phase you've been currently going through is....training. Make most of it.. don"t "rush" through it as It will not make you a better player magically when you open CP (by the way, you'll be levelling those as well, just a little faster. than levelling from 40 to 50) So don't get discouraged seeing all those with CP 99999999999999999999999999 ;) )

There are no quick formulas when it comes to be an efficient in battle here. You may get best gear or get hands on it while grinding in dungeons.. but if you don't practise and have your arse kicked dozen times.. no best gear is going to save you. ;)

Edited by duendology on December 6, 2017 10:32PM
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something you might consider adding to your sorc are some area of effect/damage over time abilities.
    Area of Effect/Damage Over Time - these abilities effect multiple enemies in the area and do damage over a period of time
    Liquid Lightning - Sorc skill, Storm Calling tree
    Lightning Form - Sorc Skill, Storm Calling tree, also gives you physical and spell resistances.
    Wall of Elements - Destruction Staff skill (also very helpful on your magicka templar)
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    I consider playing the Templar but as an Argonian, with those passives i will be excellent healer. Thanks for yhe feedback, now i know what i must lvl up. :)