The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mount Issues With Non-Flat Terrain

Apache_Kid
Apache_Kid
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Since I have been playing this game it has been plagued by a bug that slows down your mount from full sprint if you try to traverse any sort of area that isn't totally flat. This is especially annoying in Cyrodiil where hardly any of the terrain is flat and I find my mount slowing down out of sprint multiple times while on my way to anywhere. Why hasn't this been fixed? Is it intended that these animals are not equipped to handle the strains of moving over a small mound of dirt without slowing down?
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i remember a time when horses could traverse terrain smoothly. They added something in an early early patch about havign their feet connect to the ground more realistically and all of a sudden they started getting stuck on blades of grass.
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I noticed; for supposedly "agile" large cats, my Senche get stuck on a lot of little pebbles in their path...

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

• Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »
    i remember a time when horses could traverse terrain smoothly. They added something in an early early patch about havign their feet connect to the ground more realistically and all of a sudden they started getting stuck on blades of grass.

Was before i was playing. Thank you. Good to know this hasn't always been an issue but bad to know that it is an issue they caused with a "fix"
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just spamming the sprint button is a tedious but effective solution. Requires maxxed mount stam to last long, though. Even on flat terrain it’ll get your mount outrunning anyone else.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been saying this forever
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »
    Been saying this forever

yes i know there have been other threads about this but i haven't seen one in a long time and i feel like its good to remind them of things like this that remain broken for months/years at at time.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My cat is always like "oh ya here we go on a adventure yeah ..OH Look ! A Penny !" , every 50 yards .
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been this way since around the time Wrothgar came out. Makes Cyrodiil Horse simulator very frustrating lol.
    PC-NA
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my guildies swear the dwarven spider has little to no issues. I think they are zos spies trying to promote crown sales :trollface:
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow it's almost as if this issue has been affecting everyone for almost 2 years and there hasn't been a fix? Can anyone from ZoS comment on this and at least acknowledge this is something you are aware of and looking into?
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting on whether or not this was an intended change to the way mounts traverse non-flat terrain 2 years ago, or if it is a bug that has just been around for that long?
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting on whether or not this issue has been looked at and if its something that can be fixed or not. Can't imagine it was an intended change. Side-effect of another change that hasn't been looked into perhaps? Any sort of information would be nice.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my guildies swear the dwarven spider has little to no issues. I think they are zos spies trying to promote crown sales :trollface:

The dwarven spider mount has smaller contact boxes so it doesn't get stopped by stupidly tiny things as often. Horses seem the worst affected, big cats not so much. The devs say they can't replicate it no matter how many people complain for how many years which is just further proof they don't even play their own game.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The dwarven spider mount has smaller contact boxes so it doesn't get stopped by stupidly tiny things as often. Horses seem the worst affected, big cats not so much. The devs say they can't replicate it no matter how many people complain for how many years which is just further proof they don't even play their own game.

LMAO please tell me you are joking. They did not actually say they can't replicate it. That sounds insane to me. It happens ALL THE TIME. No joke if I had known that about the dwarven spider had less issues with this i would've purchased it without hesitation.
    Edited by Apache_Kid on November 29, 2017 4:12PM
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the most annoying bugs that has persisted for years now. Maybe this is priming us for a 10,000 Crown mount that hovers just off the ground lol!
    Edited by Moloch1514 on November 29, 2017 9:49PM
    PC-NA
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Multi leg and feline mounts don't have this issue, at least as bad.

I wonder if the Inverse Kinetics Option only applies to the character or does it apply to the mount too?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The Multi leg and feline mounts don't have this issue, at least as bad.

I wonder if the Inverse Kinetics Option only applies to the character or does it apply to the mount too?

I think I have a senche mount going to try that. I don't want to use the nix-Ox lol.
  • czar
    czar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    It applies to mounts, too.
    stam scrub
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to "foot inverse kinematics" setting. They forced it on mounts and then altered it back before they added it to player characters as an option in settings. It doesn't even work right on player characters, and looks unnatural, so I keep it off.
    They should just remove that coding until they can do it right some other way.

The problem seems to stem from them trying to map the feet to the terrain with as little "clipping with terrain" as possible, but that is impossible since the mount will always clip with the edge of the terrain change area. So, the mount stops and adjusts immediately when a terrain change is detected, which slows it down. They chose this over allowing the mount speed to make it painfully obvious how much clipping can happen with how fast mounts can move.

Edit:
    You cannot turn off inverse kinematics for mounts. It is always on.
    Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on December 4, 2017 3:54AM
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to "foot inverse kinematics" setting. They forced it on mounts and then altered it back before they added it to player characters as an option in settings. It doesn't even work right on player characters, and looks unnatural, so I keep it off.
    They should just remove that coding until they can do it right some other way.

The problem seems to stem from them trying to map the feet to the terrain with as little "clipping with terrain" as possible, but that is impossible since the mount will always clip with the edge of the terrain change area. So, the mount stops and adjusts immediately when a terrain change is detected, which slows it down. They chose this over allowing the mount speed to make it painfully obvious how much clipping can happen with how fast mounts can move.

Edit:
    You cannot turn off inverse kinematics for mounts. It is always on.

Well this makes sense. At least I know to stop asking if its a bug or not as it's clearly intended even though it's stupid.