The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Main quests

Vedixsz
Vedixsz
Soul Shriven
So i have a feeling that the main quests related to the prophet are bugged or something.

At aound level 11 i started wondering what happend to that old guy from the tutorial. So i did some research and found out that i would need to enter a major city for him to appear, which i did and... well what happend was i got a main quest but he didnt appear anywhere to me, the quest just sort of appeard in my quest log. The quest said that the prophet told me to come see him apparently but he didnt, he never spoke to me. But alright i just went along with it and then when i was done with that quest i was about to cross a river and the prophet appeared and gave me another quest even though he said he would come to me at some point later.
So i did that quest as well and he again said he would need some time to think or something like that. I then went to the same river and the prophet appeared once again in the same spot giving me another quest. This has continued to happen in this exact way for a couple of main quests now and it doesnt seem like its going to stop.

So im wondering is this thing bugged? How do the main quests work, its not level related right? Seems like you will get a main quest when you enter a major city regardless? And there seem to be predetermined locations of where the prophet/main quest will appear/be handed to you?
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main quests used to be based on levels, but now with 1T you can do all main quests in a row if you wished. They did not update the script to account for that change though.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When the Prophet shows up is according to your character level. It is possible, if you've leveled up a few times in between going to the locations where he appears, for him to show up immediately after you finish one of his quests leave the Harborage. I have started two new characters, but haven't gotten out of Morrowind with them yet, so its been a while for me and the main quest, but I think it was every 5 levels.

It is also easy to miss him appearing, especially if you're riding or running. He shows up, but you can miss seeing him. The quest still shows up, however.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vedixsz wrote: »
    So im wondering is this thing bugged?
    No.

Unfortunately, when ZOS released 1T (One Tamriel) they didn't bother to update or rewrite the main quest, they simply removed the level restrictions from it so now you can run through the whole main quest at once.
    Every time you finish a part, the prophet will appear immediately and give you the next part.

It's a shame really as it messes up the logic. They could have re-written the dialogue so reflect the change but that would have meant to hire the voice actor(s) again and that's obviously much more expensive than just ignoring the logic and letting you run all those quests back to back.

It used to work in a way that you would get a new quest every 5 levels with the prophet appearing near you when you leveled up. That meant you had to be at least level 45 to finish the main quest and beat Molg Bal.
    But that is no more.

This was posted by a guild mate of mine and illustrates the disconnect:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/374058/at-what-level-did-you-first-beat-molag-bal/p1
    dry.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on December 3, 2017 7:19PM
  • Vedixsz
    Vedixsz
    Soul Shriven
    Ah yeah, well thats a shame as the story is one of the best parts of ESO. Kind of messes up the flow of the game with the way it works now, doesnt fit with what the prophet actually tells you. Especially for a new player its kind of confusing when he keeps appearing immediately after you complete one.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Main storyline used to be fed to you piecemeal every 10 levels if I remember? For example at lvl 10 you finish whatever part of the storyline it was, then you had to do side quests, zone storyline quests, etc. When you hit lvl 20, you got alerted and were able to start the next part of the main storyline.

Now you can just run through the storyline without breaks.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on December 3, 2017 7:11PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is possible to miss the prophets image appearing to you initially. Why, idk, as long as you got the quest, as you indicate you have, then you are on your way and the quest line will play out fine.

As others have pointed out, continuing with the quest line is no longer locked to levels. You can go straight through, do the entire quest line, including Cold Harbor, without doing another quest.
  • Vedixsz
    Vedixsz
    Soul Shriven
    Why did they change it? Seems silly, i would have much prefered it having it come to me every few levels.
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of my pet peeves with the 1T update, for all the good it's done. There was a nice sense of pace when the Prophet appeared every 5 levels, and now it's almost comical the way he only needs a few minutes of prep time after each mission. In my perfect world, this would be addressed in two ways:

- For players who like pacing the story, either put a cooldown on how quickly the Prophet can appear after completing a quest, or tie his reappearance to some amount of EXP gain. Or even just return to the old way, when he would appear at Lv. 5, 10, 15, 20, and so on.

- For players who like to go through the story all at once, allow you to start each MQ by returning to the Harborage right away.
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why did they change it? Seems silly, i would have much prefered it having it come to me every few levels.

Accessibility?

One thing it improves is you can now get soul strike for sub50 PvP, also you can speedrun the MQ for early skillpoints.

And I guess it gets you to Coldharbour faster (unless you Guild teleport but not everyone does that), which fits the whole One Tamriel thing.

IMO we should have the option to skip the MQ on alts, just give us the skillpoints like in Cyrodiil. Ok so this might lead to more botting possibly, but it would do more good than harm IMO.

You can ofc skip the MQ but there are skillpoints and a skill line there.

It´s funny how messed up a lot of the dialogue is now though. When I started ESO you were pointed to 'newbie island' immediately and some dialogue suggests you *started there* in an earlier version (Razum-Dar´s "wet one" line), but Im not sure. Anyway if you start in Morrowind you still get dialogue about not having a soul etc. I guess just let it fly and use your imagination, removing levels was the best thing to happen to the game anyway.

But repeating the MQ...

"Step into my mind, vestige..."

I´d rather shove a dagger up it.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    When the Prophet shows up is according to your character level. It is possible, if you've leveled up a few times in between going to the locations where he appears, for him to show up immediately after you finish one of his quests leave the Harborage. I have started two new characters, but haven't gotten out of Morrowind with them yet, so its been a while for me and the main quest, but I think it was every 5 levels.

It is also easy to miss him appearing, especially if you're riding or running. He shows up, but you can miss seeing him. The quest still shows up, however.

The bolded above is outdated information, One Tamriel changed all of that. The Prophet appears usually in the same spots as soon as you complete a quest, you can complete them all back to back, which is what I usually do. So for AD... after completing a main quest, once you leave the Harborage, if you turn right and go around the corner, the Prophet will immediately appear. I typically have the main quests completed all the way to the one where you have to meet Razum-Dar in Skywatch before I reach level 20. I found that completing the main quests while still early in levels is much easier due to the increased health, magicka and stamina due to the scaling system.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Vedixsz
    Vedixsz
    Soul Shriven
    Really not a fan of it, kind of gives the impression that they dont care about the world/lore anymore and just went "here fastforward the whole thng and get your skillpoints". It would be one thing to offer this to old players like lets say you had to do something in the end game. But to have it as standard even for completely new players is bad because even as a new player i sensed that something was off.

• Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you run run run everywhere, there's a chance you won't actually see him - he'll say "Hello Vestige" but you're so busy running past him that you don't see him and the quest will get put in your quest log :)

EDIT: And yeah none of the main quest is level-gated any more - you can start it as soon as you get into Tamriel, run through the entire thing without doing anything else and be about lvl 16 when you finish it (have done that).
    Edited by Epona222 on December 4, 2017 11:31AM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they didn't updated the script at all.

Also, back in the days, the main quest (prophet) should be done along side with your alliance main quest, they didn't update that also so you see a lot of inconsistencies.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • jkolb2030
    jkolb2030
    ✭✭✭
    Also, if you skip the tutorial and travel directly to Vvardenfall you have to manually start the main story quest (form my experience).

After bringing my new character out of Vvardenfall I had to physically track down the main quest only to be greeted by the worm cults, knocked out, stabbed by Mannimarco, and dumped in the Wailing Prison (love the cutscenes for main story too).

I was very confused at first, since I haven't thought about main story since before Morrowind dropped. Just a heads up.