The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Inferno maelstrom staff

pteam
pteam
✭✭✭
Hey guys I just got an inferno maelstrom staff!

How should I use this in my setup?

I’m a mag sorc running 5/1/1 with 5 piece necro all gold except necklace, 5 piece julianos all gold and gold 1pc domihaus.

1. First what glyph should I put on it?
2. I assume I should run this on the back bar with elemental blockade, should I just run a 4 pc julianos on that bar and a 5 pc on the other bar with julianos lightning staff which is what I normall run?
Any other suggestions? Thanks!
The Flawless Conqueror
Xbox NA - its pteam

Completed vDSA - vHRC HM - vAA HM - vSO HM - vMoL - vHoF HM - vCR +1 - vMA Flawless 585k - vAS +2 HM
  • pteam
    pteam
    ✭✭✭
    I should note it has infused on it.
    The Flawless Conqueror
    Xbox NA - its pteam

Completed vDSA - vHRC HM - vAA HM - vSO HM - vMoL - vHoF HM - vCR +1 - vMA Flawless 585k - vAS +2 HM
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are in a well coordinated trials group that has great Minor Vulnerability/Off-Balance uptime, the unfortunate answer is to bank it. The lightning vMA staff is superior to the inferno in all be the above specialized case. The lightning staff Blockade will activate Off-Balance on targets effected by Minor Vulnerability, which will then activate the Exploiter CP passive (you should have 75 points in Thaumaturge already).

Until you get the lightning vMA staff, stick with Julianos on both bars. When you do get it, you could switch to running Mechanical Acuity instead of Julianos. You only need that set active on the front bar staff. A more common setup, though, is 5 Necro or Julianos, 2 Monster (like Ilambris, Maw, Valkyn, or Grothdarr), and 4 pieces from a trials set like Infallible Aether or Moondancer/Master Architect (the 4th piece being the front bar staff).

For what to put on the staff, it depends on your rotation. 3 skills on the backbar is the sweet spot for 2 shock/flame procs. I usually have shock on my front staff and flame on my back staff. If you will be swapping to the back every 5-6 seconds, then Wep Dmg glyph can get good uptime. Also, you could consider damage health poisons. All choices will get you pretty similar results.
    Edited by dpencil1 on November 30, 2017 5:15AM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back bar with a lightning or weapon/spell Damage glyph, with a fire glyph on your front bar, the enchant has a high chance to proc burning and burning enemies get 20% more damage from the wall.

As for the dropping the monster set or trading out the back bar julinanos, you really ought not be on your back bar long enough for it to matter, you have no single target dots that save the spell Damage from the bar it was cast on.

What do your bars look like?
  • pteam
    pteam
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t have a maelstrom lightning staff yet.

My setup right now is:

Front bar: julianos lightning staff infused with shock glyph
    Crystal frags
    Daedric prey
    Empowered ward
    Twilight pet
    Volatile pet

Back bar: maelstrom inferno staff infused with shock glyph
    Blockade of fire
    Liquid lightning
    Power surge
    Twilight pet
    Volatile pet

Suggestions? Thanks for the help
    The Flawless Conqueror
    Xbox NA - its pteam

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change your maelstrom staff enchant to weapon/spell damage, and activate it with a light attack weave while on your back bar. Make sure you cast blockade before liquid lightning, then bar swap (to avoid losing the VMA effect on bar swap). I'm also not sure frags is worth using with your build. Do you find that they proc often just from using prey, Ward, and the pet?
  • pteam
    pteam
    ✭✭✭
    Frags does proc decently often, it procs when I use shield also. What else would I even use there that’s as good?

Also why cast blockade before LL? I thought I read the vma effect carries over to the other bar
    The Flawless Conqueror
    Xbox NA - its pteam

• nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭
    First thing you cast should be Blockade so you get the extra dmg on your LAs/HAs asap, I think. Also it applies status effects while LL doesn't provide anything special apart from dmg.

edit: It doesn't apply status effects. My bad. It still applies additional effects, especially with a lightning staff though, you wanna have as early as possible.

edit2: Whatever. I'll actaully stick to calling them status effects as pretty much every source does so.
    Edited by nnargun on November 30, 2017 10:35AM
    [PC EU][GERMAN][ENGLISH][730~ CP]
    Flawless Conquerer - vHoF HM - vAS+1 - vMoL - vCR
    the Kuhn - Dunmer - MagNB
    Samjuel-EL - Orc - StamNB
    Son Hala - Altmer - MagSorc
    Draxyl - Argonian - Warden
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    nnargun wrote: »
    First thing you cast should be Blockade so you get the extra dmg on your LAs/HAs asap, I think. Also it applies status effects while LL doesn't provide anything special apart from dmg.

Liquid lightning provides concussion just fine. At a 1% chance but liquid lightning does provide it, at the same chance lightning wall does, the only this lightning wall give is off balance, which is not a status effect.

I am wondering how you do vMA without a stun, I have tried but I need one and since I don't have crushing shock, I use a lightning master staff and clench, don't see the value in both pets either, with the sheild and surge, you ought to be okay.

My bars on my sorc look like this-

Infused flame enchant lightning master staff- inner light, scamp, frags, liquid lightning, clench

Nirn lightning flame vMA staff- inner light, scamp, power surge, empowered ward, flame wall

Now my set up is for maximizing procs for illambris, I have cleared vMA with this set up more then I haven't.
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭

Liquid lightning provides concussion just fine. At a 1% chance but liquid lightning does provide it, at the same chance lightning wall does, the only this lightning wall give is off balance, which is not a status effect.

I am wondering how you do vMA without a stun, I have tried but I need one and since I don't have crushing shock, I use a lightning master staff and clench, don't see the value in both pets either, with the sheild and surge, you ought to be okay.

Infused flame enchant lightning master staff- inner light, scamp, frags, liquid lightning, clench

Nirn lightning flame vMA staff- inner light, scamp, power surge, empowered ward, flame wall

Now my set up is for maximizing procs for illambris, I have cleared vMA with this set up more then I haven't.

But you see what I mean.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

But you see what I mean.

You didn't say what you meant and ACKCHYUALLY said something wrong and I just don't see what that has to do with this guy and his inferno Maelstrom staff. He wants to use it and does not have the option for lightning wall.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on November 30, 2017 9:53AM
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭

But you see what I mean.

You didn't say what you meant and ACKCHYUALLY said something wrong and I just don't see what that has to do with this guy and his inferno Maelstrom staff. He wants to use it and does not have the option for lightning wall.

What's your problem? Do you have anger issues or something? I just answered the guys question why you should cast Blockade before LL with a vMA staff. Oh no, the additional effects that Blockade provides are not considered status effects. Shame on me for not using the right expression there. You are a pleasure to talk to, though.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @nnargun my problem is simple. You made a mistake. Own it.

And you need to brush up on your internet slang. I was making a joke at my own expence, http://knowyourmeme.com/forums/meme-research/topics/49878-ackchyually-actually.
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edited my post. Really hope you can live with that.
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh and btw the almighty Alcast lists those effects under status effects. And not only him. So maybe you are ACKCHYUALLY wrong?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pteam wrote: »
    Frags does proc decently often, it procs when I use shield also. What else would I even use there that’s as good?

Also why cast blockade before LL? I thought I read the vma effect carries over to the other bar

The VMA effect does carry over, but only if wall does at least 1 tick of damage before bar swapping. Therefore you should be careful not to cast wall directly before a bar swap.

What to use instead of frags would depend on the build, some options are force pulse/crushing shock, Daedric tomb, destructive clench. But if you are getting plenty of procs then I wouldn't worry about changing it.

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh and btw the almighty Alcast lists those effects under status effects. And not only him. So maybe you are ACKCHYUALLY wrong?

it really depends, lol like everything in life, on how you define status effect, with that in mind, i don't go by alcast, i go by gilliam, here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St5v-bMeGDc

Edited my post. Really hope you can live with that.

i am not sure how i couldn't, so thank you?
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on November 30, 2017 2:32PM
  • nnargun
    nnargun
    ✭✭✭✭

it really depends, lol like everything in life, on how you define status effect, with that in mind, i don't go by alcast, i go by gilliam, here.
    Not everything in life depends on how you define status effects. That's for sure :*
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Not everything in life depends on how you define status effects. That's for sure :*

that we can agree on there champ. but just to be clear, you said this-
    Also it applies status effects while LL doesn't provide anything special apart from dmg.

liquid lightning can apply concussed, which is a status effect, the way you have this phrase implies that it does not, that is the problem. not what a status effect is. you might have meant that it does not set concussed enemies off balance like lightning wall does but the op does not have access to lightning wall, he is using fire wall. now i understand you want fire wall down first, i have never said different and this is another thing we agree on, the bonus damage you get from that is useful.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on November 30, 2017 2:46PM
  • pteam
    pteam
    ✭✭✭
    thanks guys for your help.

I'm really wanting a vma lightning staff now especially since I really liked lightning staffs before as I was using 2 julianos lightning staffs

Guess I'll be going back in the arena! lol
    The Flawless Conqueror
    Xbox NA - its pteam