The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to defeat the Storm Atronachs in "Breaking the Shackle" quest?

Bananko
Bananko
✭✭✭✭
They emerge in the final wave of enemies just prior to the quest boss and I can't seem to defeat them. :(

Any suggestions?

Edited by Bananko on May 31, 2017 8:09PM
  • Bananko
    Bananko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and my character is a Stamina Nightblade.
  • StormWylf
    StormWylf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bananko wrote: »
    They emerge in the final wave of enemies just prior to the quest boss and I can't seem to defeat them. :(

Any suggestions?

I'll bump this. Anyone?
  • Bananko
    Bananko
    ✭✭✭✭
    StormWylf wrote: »
    Bananko wrote: »

Any suggestions?

I'll bump this. Anyone?

Thank you, StormWylf. :)
  • jmferris
    jmferris
    ✭✭
    I had a horrible time with this on my Stamina DK, but not as much with my Magicka Templar. Have not done it with a NB, though. I am still fairly green, so I don't know if someone more experienced has a better approach.

For me, I tried to focus just on one, and let the NPC party keep the other one occupied. Whenever I had both of their attention, I would drop back, and just do ranged attacks on one and/or avoiding until the other one resumed going back to the NPC party. The enemy logic seems to be consistent in the game, in that the enemies seem to gravitate to where it is getting the most damage from. You will do considerably more damage than the NPCs will, so it is really easy to get them both coming at you.

If I am remembering correctly, there are also some other Dremora that come through at the same time, right? Take care of those first so that the NPCs can keep the attention of one of the Atronachs, and so they are not just doing random attacks on whatever is closest. Even then, it is still not easy - or was not for me, at least. I had used a blue recipe (for Health and Magicka), slotted my magicka potions, and used a drain magicka poison, as I had to mix in a healing ability that I normally didn't have in my rotation.
  • Bananko
    Bananko
    ✭✭✭✭
    jmferris wrote: »
    I had a horrible time with this on my Stamina DK, but not as much with my Magicka Templar. Have not done it with a NB, though. I am still fairly green, so I don't know if someone more experienced has a better approach.

For me, I tried to focus just on one, and let the NPC party keep the other one occupied. Whenever I had both of their attention, I would drop back, and just do ranged attacks on one and/or avoiding until the other one resumed going back to the NPC party. The enemy logic seems to be consistent in the game, in that the enemies seem to gravitate to where it is getting the most damage from. You will do considerably more damage than the NPCs will, so it is really easy to get them both coming at you.

If I am remembering correctly, there are also some other Dremora that come through at the same time, right? Take care of those first so that the NPCs can keep the attention of one of the Atronachs, and so they are not just doing random attacks on whatever is closest. Even then, it is still not easy - or was not for me, at least. I had used a blue recipe (for Health and Magicka), slotted my magicka potions, and used a drain magicka poison, as I had to mix in a healing ability that I normally didn't have in my rotation.

Thank you, jmferris. :)

As it turns out, I was finally able to find someone else who was also trying to finish the "Breaking the Shackle" quest, so we grouped up and were finally able to defeat Storm Atronachs and thus, the quest. B)

Hopefully there's not much left to complete the main story so that I can then move on to the DLC's.
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that you finally found a way forward. But I thought I would jump in with an answer for the next time you're facing a tough quest boss.

You don't mention your character level, but I'm assuming that you are under 50. And in that case, my general advice for someone stuck on a boss is 'get better gear'. If you or someone you can get to help you can craft you a full set of blue- or even purple-quality armor at the max level you can wear, it will make a very big difference to survivability.

You can also look at your DPS -- you're a stam character; can you lay down endless hail (of arrows) before moving in? Do you have a good spammable skill like rapid strikes on your bar? If you don't, and don't have the skill points for them, then maybe come back and try again after a little more questing elsewhere.

Lastly -- Dubious Camoran Throne. This purple-quality food can be consumed at any level, costs about 400g and lasts two hours. You would be _amazed_ at how much you can do with the extra health and stamina.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)