Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Tip for vet Maelstrom stage 5 boss? (Ice platform stage)

davey1107
davey1107
✭✭✭✭✭
I took like a year away from VMSA and came back. I never had issues with the ice boss before...as far as I remember I breezed past her with one or two deaths, but coming back to it I can’t get through it in like 200 runs...sheesh.

I’m running a Magplar. I get the mechanics...the boss calls specific adds and destroys platforms based on damage done to her, so the key is to dps her as you’re ready for the adds, and you have to take out 100% of the platform trolls so they don’t break the ice.

I’m using a pretty standard bar...entropy and harness mag with jabs and radiant glory and reflective light on the front. Standard buffs on back...ritual, channel focus, radiant aura, etc. running legendary gear, Julianos and desert rose. I usually use Valkyne, but for this boss I switched to engine guardian. 690 champion points allocated close to Alcast’s meta.

My strategy is to kite the boss, keep harness up and handle adds, then dps the boss a bit. My problem is in the end of stage adds that just utterly swarm me. I can’t harness, heal and burn the boss down all at the same time quickly enough to finish her before I’m overrun.

(On a side note, @ZOS_Wrobel, whatever you did to the targeting a couple of patches back is, in my opinion, the absolute worst change made to the game ever. This is largely what is causing the issues, with skills misfiring too frequently so that the small mistake from this happening add up and it’s why the stage is more difficult than it was before. Having to target with extreme precision with so many enemies is awkward and a bad UX.)

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the adds come, focus the adds, leave the boss else alot happens at once.

Trolls always a priority so platforms don't get broken.

Stay on island 1, dps boss till adds come, kill them dps boss till it goes to break island, run to island with health sigil. Dps boss till adds come, kill them first, grab health sigil, dps boss u till she goes to break island two

Then Run to last island, get defence sigil (so now you Ignore all ranged adds) get power sigil and burn boss (troll too if he comes) but go wild on boss and its done.
    Edited by Beardimus on November 21, 2017 7:13AM
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I save ultimate and a sigil for the last platform ... which is burn phase.

The defense and damage sigils are mentioned in the post above. The healing sigil is nice, too.

Do you have an effective AOE ultimate such as Nova or Storm? That should catch the adds in addition to the boss.

Good luck!

Edited by Taleof2Cities on November 21, 2017 8:46AM
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Are you using Wall of Elements and Blazing Spear? If not you're missing out on a lot of damage which will help you on the third platform. Otherwise just follow the advice above, specifically about saving the platform with the defensive sigil for last. Defensive sigil is OP!
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA